Remove suicide ganking from high sec

he adds CODE. alliance as a contact with terrible standings .
he checks zkill for the system he wants to mine and add any local gankers to contacts with terrible standings .
watch local for them and any player with -10 security status ; get out of the belt if you see them .
a pod warping into your belt may be a scout for gankers ; move if this happens .
orbiting is good it makes you a more difficult target ; if you’re in a belt with other miners the stationary ones may be picked for ganking first …
while mining aligned is the fastest way into warp , it’s impractical . you should however have a one-click warpout to station or structure , with your mouse resting on it always .
fit a basic tank it may not save your ship , but may save your pod .
don’t be afk …

1 Like

And the word you were looking for was “equate” rather than “compare”. Yeah, I know you used common parlance, but seriously, I am sick of that common parlance because its as false as your belief that EVE is so far removed from the human world. Its so not. If it was, you would literally not even be able to function.

In fact the trouble is how people perceive the real world, which is totally ridiculous. I have often pointed out to people that police do not remotely have the time and resources to protect 24/7 some person who claims to be the victim of stalking or whatever. The reactions are shock, disbelief and anger directed toward me. I tell them that if they want 24/7 protection they literally need to hire a body guard. I get these claims that they should have to pay nothing, as its the job of police to protect people (they say). It shatters the false security of their little world and they just cannot handle it.

Other ways this game is like real life is how people need to band together for survival and profit but they resist doing that. The game is littered with one man corporations going nowhere. We have what basically amounts to fraud in the “free” market. We have liars. We have cheaters. We have people who don’t care one wit about you but pretending they do. We have politics of favoritism and popularity winning over justice. We have punks. We have really nice people. We have jerks. We have people needlessly living in fear. We have greed. We have crime.

What is interesting about EVE is not that its so not real world. What is interesting is its particular mix of what is and isn’t real world. Its like no other game for this unique mix. But this high sec ganking thing I love for one thing and one thing only: because it DOES reflect the real world in a way that is very important and people really need to accept: the police cannot be there to protect you 24/7. And if the only result of people killing you was that you lost property and got resurrected instantly, believe me, the police WOULD be more lax about the whole thing.

If I were to gripe it would be the simple fact that known criminals would not be allowed to fly so freely nor dock up most places. You would get one gank and after that you would be known and watched whereever you went in hi sec. You would be red flashy in local always or until after you finished a jail sentence of months at least. Even propertly crime would treated more seriously thant it is in EVE.

What people say is true though: If you take such exception to the possibility of hi sec ganking, you are truly just not playing the right game. Stop even dreaming that its ever going to change. I was pretty annoyed the first time I got ganked too. But it was just like the first time I got punched in the stomach back when I was a kid. The punk got away with it and I learned I needed to be on guard and protect myself, even in relatively safe place like school.

5 Likes

“New people to the game don’t have the patience to learn how to defend themselves, they need easy-mode participation trophies.”

Then they can ragequit and go play WoW. EVE is a game that rewards long-term planning and effort, if you want instant gratification it is not the game for you.

Why? Does NATO get involved to defend a US citizen from petty theft? Remember that CONCORD is not really an equivalent to the police, it’s much more equivalent to an international military alliance. It exists to maintain the peace between the four NPC empires, blowing away illegal aggressors in highsec is just a side effect of ensuring that peace.

This is clearly untrue in this case. Simply because long term planning only gets you into more expensive ships that also cannot defend themselves, like freighters and exhumers.

Unless you’re saying nobody should be mining in high-sec, then this continues to apply no matter how anyone plays. Freighters EXIST. Contracts to move items, EXIST.

You cannot fly those with a fleet in tow constantly. This is stupidity in the extreme to suggest “without learning to defend themselves” is the problem. It’s not. There is no defence.

1. Not as much as having your ships blown up, I reckon.

2. That’s their problem, this game usually requires patience.

Situational awareness, safety in numbers, and defense fleets are the go to.

Yes there is. See above. Your defense is numbers/ fleet, situational awareness and escape, or a fit that allows you to fight back. The best defense is just to not be a juicy target.

2 Likes

In a freighter?

Good job.

It brings an end to most of the contract system. Nobody is going to get a fleet together to move someone’s battleships across eve high-sec for 5m isk.

You’re saying “Freighters shouldn’t be able to do their job without a fleet”
EVERYONE in high-sec doing anything of note needs to be in a fleet.

Why even have high-sec then?

People shouldn’t be able to play eve solo. This is an absurd argument on its’ face.

I’m down for having the whole game be 0.0.

I’d be more than happy with that.

Good luck getting new players though, that would drop to about 1-2% of the current influx.

What’s your point? You defend yourself by player skill and learning how to avoid attacks entirely, not by buying a bigger and more expensive ship that wins the game for you. Stop whining and learn how to play.

Freighters EXIST. Contracts to move items, EXIST.

Correct. And competent players do those things just fine already. The fact that you suck at EVE and are unable to do so does not mean that everyone else is at your level.

2 Likes

So a freighter delivering things in empire without some defence is “sucking at eve”

This wasn’t even about me. I have 5 alts, 24b in assets across all my characters and I’ve played off and on since 2006.

People who are good at eve, don’t consider everyone that dies in eve “just sucks man”.

Thanks for your great intellectual contribution though.

Yep. Because there are ways to defend that freighter, and every day many freighter pilots use them to successfully deliver their cargo. Ganking only matters for bad players.

3 Likes

That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard in eve.

And that’s why you fail while people like Red Frog succeed at doing the things you claim are impossible, and get rich doing it.

2 Likes

^^^
Cannon Fodder

2 Likes

Not 100 percent I think, but close enough. Especially if you consider being lazy the same as being “a bad player”. One of my favorite examples that I know well is the Frulegur gate camp. What? You did not know about it and jumped into Frulegur and got popped? That means you either never checked the kill board because every day for years and years that place has been a junkyard of exploded ships, or you were too lazy to go around, or try scurrying through immediately after down time, or divide loads into a cloak trick capable hauler, or hell, even contact the campers and beg to pay isk for safe passage.

Point being, you can avoid most ganks. But it will take work. And guess what? Eve is properly explained as a job you pay to do rather than a game. Eve is WORK!

1 Like

We are not ordinary citizens. We are capsuleers. The best equivalent I can think of is privateers of Elizabethan times. And Elizabethan times were politically messy, just like EVE. I cannot provide a historical example, but I would not be surprised to learn that a alliance military once rushed to the defense of “good” privateers being attacked by “bad” privateers. Of couse they did not have electronic communications in those days or it might have happened a lot more.

I also don’t see Concord as being equivalent to NATO. Concord would be closer to a U.N. peacekeeping force in its mission but unlike a U.N. peacekeeing force Concord still has testicles attached. That makes enough sense to me in the EVE universe where no one actually dies. Its all property loss only.

The modern police service descends from a group of privateers calling themselves the Bow Street Runners. They took payment to catch criminals in the Bow Street Parish of London from the mid 18th Century. They were organised by Henry and John Fielding, a local magistrate and his brother, in response to the number of prosecutions not rising with the crime rate following the conclusion of the civil war. Back in those days it was entirely down to the victim to prosecute offenders - pretty hard to do if you were a murder victim. The Runners were basically tipstaffs with handcuffs, nightsticks and pistols. John also set up the worlds first mounted police force.

1 Like

They are shooting empty freighters. They aren’t “getting rich” doing anything, please, just go take your meds.

No one is ganking empty freighters:

Freighter ganking is driven by profit, and therefore it is pretty easy to make yourself not a target. Admittedly the amount you can carry safely during this 90% drop event is rather low, but that is also more reason for gankers not to go after empty freighters. And the event ends tomorrow in any case.

I saw one. It was right next to me on the gate.

It had like some small amount of veldspar and some salvage in it.

Here’s another from your own list:

200m in isotopes. Barely worth calling a fleet over once you account for time and effort.

These cargo expander 2’s were probably worth it too…

I LOVE how you didn’t even look through them before posting that.

Thanks for proving my point.