Return my private cabin

I didn’t spend much time in my private cabin, but… why did they have to kill it? Was it hurting anything? Did it ever hurt anyone?
(But seriously-- wondering about the practical reasons for axing it. Once the client is installed, it just exists on the player’s PC and has minimal impact on the server world. No?)

3 Likes

You mean intentionally disabled by CCP to reduce its usage.

As long as I can remember with any of my other accounts, it always was disabled by default after creating a new char. And it always was disbled after visiting a citadel too. No wonder why people gave up constantly switching it back.

How many people would use SKINs if they always have to put it back on after undocking from a station? Not many. And so the metrics would show no one is using them, but does that mean that no one would like to have them?

2 Likes

Basically to expand on captains quarters they’d need to remove the feature completely and rebuild it again. Instead of trying to update half a service and work on letting players explore stations more completely, they decided to pull all Devs off the feature and focus on other things.

A small chunk of our total population actually used it regularly and it takes developers just as long to update and model your quarters as it does to retexture and remodel any other in-game asset. It didn’t make sense to waste time on captains quarters and it doubly didn’t make sense to start over again for the full Walking in Stations experience.

1 Like

It had impact on the DEV team because it had to be tested for every client release for example. It was essentially time burned on something just for the sake of not axing it because they already knew they would not add to it.

1 Like

wauw, every release they had to chek 1 minute if they could enter captain quarters, so much time wasted waauw :kissing:

2 Likes

They have to check for any potential glitch/crash. It’s pretty clear you never did software testing.

Its really effect of downsizing and lack of funds. They are not willing to spend on EVE. Other games have priority probably.
They have done it for so many years already, baby steps.

3 Likes

ok sorry 2 minutes

1 Like

it never worked in citadels they didn’t have a CQ made for them, if you started a fresh account the default setting after character creation was for CQ to be enabled

Its not 1 minute, they need to test that nothing they have changed or added affects the actual CQ, this is for 4 different races rooms and all portions of the room need to be tested, remember the room had interfaces for accessing normal station services and all of these would have needed to have been tested every build, yes its not super major but when nobody is really using the feature and they aren’t adding to it why bother leaving it there

I understand why they removed it and stuff, but I think they could expand it rather than remove it because not much people use it, but instead upgrade it so more people would use it.
Inviting other players inside your cozzy CQ with cold metal bench (the future is chrome and metal), turning on the tv, watching twitch eve streams, or auto Eden cam which covers (huge) battles with random action camera from different perspectives.

1 Like

You still wouldn’t see any mass adoption, why would we want to visit your little tiny room? it was a terrible feature and we told CCP not to bother before they added it, we were proven to be correct

THey already explained in the dev blog about it why they could no longer really implement anything on top of the last known state. The TLDR of it was along the lines of “it’s outdated code and the tools to do it which had been created by 3rd party are dead”.

waauw :basketball:

Other companies can do WIS right. CCP cant. CCP is too busy making other games that will tank.

3 Likes

Which other spaceship focussed MMO does WiS? :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t mention the vaporware that is SC :stuck_out_tongue:

Any chance AT ALL, if the character creator tech is nt ging to be used in WOD now, and the captains quarters code is all out of date, any chance at all
CCP could make it open source and we could just have like a space Barbie thing to play with OR
hold on I have an idea for a money spinning mobile game Ill post in player ideas and features

Still better WIS than what CCP didnt make.

1 Like

How is it better when it doesn’t DO anything lol

Maybe you should inform yourself what it is in case of SC. :roll_eyes:

1 Like