I sometimes see people advise returning players to sell off SP to make money (such here and here). This might be a good option for some players, but generally speaking, I think this is terrible advice. And I strongly recommend that returning players explore other options.
- It’s not a sustainable income source (yes, I’m aware that some people SP farm to pay for omega subs on toons that no longer need any additional training. that’s a different situation).
- Extractor costs will eat up approximately 40% of your revenue.
- Injectors are not a 0 sum game. If you try to reinject any skills, you will suffer an injector penalty of 20-70%.
- Eve is under constant development, which makes it extremely likely that returning players will suffer extraction remorse because they made decisions based on outdated information (are you aware of all the ship buffs and nerfs, new content, and major content changes like the DBS?).
- Eve is under constant development, which means that today’s garbage can become tomorrow’s hotness (for example, Marauders just became so powerful that people are already speculating that they will be nerfed).
- Returning players don’t always know exactly what they want to do. In fact, they may be looking to get into something new this time around.
Additionally, I personally like having a bunch of SP because:
- I can always pick the best tool for the job (instead of just throwing Gila’s at everything).
- I can easily pivot to new activities if I’m getting burnt out on something.
- I can easily help out with things as needed (for example, I no longer mine or do industry as a career, but I’ll still sometimes participate in corp mining ops or build stuff when needed)
Now, if you know exactly what you want to do and what you need to do it, then extraction can help you raise some cash. However, there are many ways to make good money in Eve (even during resource scarcity). So for everyone else, I recommend pursuing a sustainable income source. Who knows, you might even have some fun and grow as a player.
P.S. I haven’t seen injector prices this low since they first came out. Of course, extractor prices are also cheaper right now, but you’ll be getting less isk per SP regardless. It’s possible that prices might recover after resource scarcity ends. So perhaps an option is to buy your extractors now, and sell unneeded SP after prices recover and you’ve been playing long enough to make an informed decision.