Revised EVE Activities & Careers Chart Project - Work in Progress

Well you can make a free blog site at wordpress.com just like I have my EVE blog and a new recent one too there it is free.

(Not to be confused with wordpress.org which is the CMS aka content management system itself of the same name that you can install on your own webhost while the .com is a blogging platform that uses the same CMS and is operated by the same people but is just that a platform where you have a site builder and pre-installed version of the wordpress CMS with some limitations depending on if you have a paid plan or free and which paid plan.)

The free plan has a banner on top and a footer line as well showcasing it is a wordpress.com blog and also occasionally ads might show up and of course the options / features are severely limited compared to the paid plans but should be perfectly suitable to host what you plan, it is (even on a free plan) perfectly capable of hosting an entire website or blog site (or both).

Haven’t used google docs for anything beyond hosting and sharing documents (text / word, spreadsheets, images and so on) but I think you can convert your progress into a word document with internal and/or external links so that should also be an option. You just make the document public and done anyone can access it with the URL.

Probably other options exist too. I personally think the safest might be the google docs route as I don’t expect google to go anywhere anytime soon nor change their free docs hosting service or at least as safe to rely on it as one can while wordpress.com might alter their free plan eventually.

Even recently they planned to introduce a monthly bandwidth limit or visitor limit which received so much negative feedback they went back on it however they also cut down the free plan’s storage limit.

So it seems they are messing with the various plans so they might have to sort their financial side of things to can support the free plans and might in the future try finding ways to do that which with the above solutions that they thought are acceptable is not a promising future to rely on them for something long term like this.

If one is actively paying attention this is not really an issue but as people actively link to the content it is necessary to maintain the same url and wordpress.com doesn’t come off as absolutely reliable, while on the other hand google docs seem to be up and running since a similar time frame and don’t see them having any financial issues nor cutting down features to the point your single document of this chart might be at risk… or at least much less likely than in case of the blog solution.

Btw I have documents shared with me and my own documents shared with others through google docs that are up there since a decade or longer so based on this personal experience I assume it can be assumed it is a reliable service.

(Same can be said about wordpress.com as if you check some of the blogs people have there are just as old as the documents I mention but the difference is that wordpress.com recently seems to have to change up their stuff to can continue operating so is a sign of trouble.)

So I think of the two google docs might be the better choice but as I wrote doing some research might bring up some even better or just as reliable alternatives too.

Microsoft also has a free document hosting service called OneDrive which also has a free plan so should be a suitable alternative as I don’t expect M$ to go out of business either nor having to charge for hosting a document, but of course you have to see the exact feature set of their free plan if it’s fitting as I don’t have much personal experience with that.

2 Likes