Revised EVE Activities & Careers Chart Project - Work in Progress

Not at all offended by that reference as there will always be tasks in New Eden for the scared little mice.

1 Like

Wasn’t meant as an offense anyway just a funny reference. :wink:

[Death Star Toaster Droid]

Toaster Droid

Droid bot-aspirant Toaster :nail_care:

robots and automatons

MSE-series droid often used for delivery and maintenance purposes.

Scared little mouse just trying to survive in a harsh New Eden.

The origin of the mouse is the connection with my chosen name, Mu’ad Diib. I’m pretty certain that the mouse that the author had in mind was the Jerboa and I figure that’s the kind of piloting style I strive for in Eve.

I listen to what’s going on (Jerboas have large ears), they’re tenacious and like Jerboas I run fast when I see a big ol’ nasty predator coming my way. I’m not scared, just pragmatic and keen to survive.

:mouse:

1 Like

To be clear, I wasn’t offended at all.

:mouse:

1 Like

I’ve now started to get the feedback in from the various people who have been looking over the draft chart which is proving really useful.

There’ll now be additional cards to be added for Abyssal Running, Project Discovery and Pirate Stronghold Destruction, just a little thinking required about how to incorporate these and where to place them.

There were also some suggestion about the career stem locations. This will necessitate some significant shifts on the chart in terms of layout, but it will definitely make it a bit more logical.

There’s also been some really good suggestions from one of the game designers at CCP (on the theme of trying to identify which activities rookies might need to fleet up for and which can be done solo) which I’m going to have a think about with a view to how I can incorporate these.

Lastly, I’ve had a couple of chats with the manager of the Eve University Wiki who is very keen to have a page on the chart on their site, so that’s also in hand now - the page is about 70% written, I just need to populate it with the relevant download links and finalise it.

My aim is still (tentatively) to publish this side of Christmas if I can but, failing this, it’ll definitely be in the first quarter of 2023.

Thanks again to everyone who has supported this project. I couldn’t have done it without you guys. You’re awesome.

:rocket:

3 Likes

Good to hear things are going on well.

Also agreed the marking of solo vs fleeted activities is an important detail, I assume a marker is enough to denote if an activity is either.

On that note maybe some other similar things worth to be marked is if an activity requires a corp or alts but probably some others might also be worth considering as well. So for example if an industrial activity requires a supply chain it might be marked differently than say a simple manufacturing activity and so on.

Though not sure how necessary this distinction is but others will provide feedback to help decide just throwing it here as an idea for consideration maybe it can improve the chart (or decided it is unnecessary and just makes things more complicated) but either way I think it is worth thinking about and what other additions might be worth considering.

3 Likes

snagging | ˈsnaɡɪŋ | noun | British
Definition: a common term used to describe the process of checking
and identifying any defect, issue or faults that need to be rectified.

Ah, the delights¹ of the snagging process … < sigh > … some days you’re ahead and some days you’re behind.

Having put in place some of the changes suggested so far, it’s thrown up a couple (well maybe [read: definitely] more than a couple …) of snagging issues - cards slightly out of alignment, etc - which I’m now working through.

Given that there are now in excess of 9,748 individual graphical elements² on the chart, to some degree it’s unsurprising that there are some small snags, it’s just a bit frustrating to discover them now when I thought I’d captured most via in-process checking that I did while working on the chart.

They’re not massive, but it does make sense to deal with them at this stage just so that when the chart is released, it’s as good as I can make it; and also because they’re the kind of pesky things that if I don’t correct them, will keep me awake at night with a faint feeling of distressed dissatisfaction.

1 - While snagging definitely is boring, time consuming and turgid and takes a lot of mental energy, it’s also really important to get rid of the annoying errors that will be much more time consuming to track down and fix later.
2 - When it’s finished I will be doing a count up of the individual elements that are on the chart, partly for reasons of my deeply geeky attention to detail, keeping tabs on the stats and for curiosity and partly just to ascertain quite how much of a masochist I am … LOL

2 Likes

Aside of the snagging process that I’m doing at the moment, I’ve also added in some additional cards to cover areas that had gaps (big thanks @Arin_Mara and also @Murloy_Habalu for their help so far here).

• Abyssal Running
    New card added. I need to generate some short, succinct descriptive text though and also identify a suitable link to location.

• Pirate Base Destruction
    New card added. I still need to generate some short, succinct descriptive text though and also identify a suitable link to location.

• Advanced Broker Relations
    Because the Margin Trading scam has now been eliminated, this has been replaced. I have a link to include (I think!) which is to here: Broker Relations | EVE Online but I’m struggling to come up with a piece of short succinct text for the card to sum it up - feel free to suggest something!

• Activating Kill Rights
    I’ve added a card for this and generated some text but I still need to identify a suitable link to location.

• Ganker Gate Camping
    I’ve added a card for this and generated some text but I still need to identify a suitable link to location.

• Wiki Editing
    I’ve added a card for this. Generally I’ve tried to write the content on the chart from a completely objective point of view without being beholden to any particular style of play, faction or other in-game group. Having said this, a lot of the hyperlinks will point towards the EVE University UniWiki (mostly because it’s such an awesome educational resource for the game) and therefore I think it would have been pretty churlish to not tacitly acknowledge this on the chart and encourage people to get involved if they can.

• I’m also going to add in a card for Project Discovery. The location for this is a bit pesky. It’s a kind of community activity, but it’s not about the Eve Online community as such; It’s science based, but nothing to do with the science of Eve as such. I think the most practical think is to have it as a floating box beneath the community section, but not actually connected to any specific stem, so that it’s associated, but still standalone.

Onwards and upwards…

4 Likes

All of the pesky snagging, as far as I can tell, has now been taken care of.

I’m now about 40% of the way through of checking updating and amending hyperlink boxes.

After this, the chart just needs some final ‘once over’ type checks and it’s ready to be published, more or less.

It’s been a long slog, but we really, really are now almost there.

2 Likes

A short list of some of the notable changes since I last updated this thread…

1. PvP group moved
I’ve moved the PvP group next to the PvE group. The Missions spine straddles the divide between the two activity groups (and even though it’s in PvP, technically, half of it could be placed into PvE) so this seems a bit more logical.

2. Bank Robbery cards moved/Solo spine re-ordered
Bank robbery activity cards (specifically, Gang Bank Robbery and Solo Bank Robbery) have been moved to the Solo spine. The Solo spine has also been re-ordered to make the outward flow of activities, from easy to hard, a bit more logical.

3. Project Discovery
I’ve added in a floating card for Project Discovery (floating because it doesn’t really live with any particular spine, although it’s located nearest to the Community group because it’s a bit of a community type activity) as well as a box with a bit about the history of the project.

4. Snagging process and small changes
The snagging process was a bit turgid but it was really useful because it thew up some small errors with card layers, card positioning, neatness of lines, and so on. These have all now been corrected.

There are still a few things to sort out on the chart…

A - Adding fleet activity indicators - to identify which activities are best in done fleets and which ones can be flown solo;

B - Sorting the icons out - Going through the card icons and working out which cards should have an Omega icon (activities limited to Omega accounts ), an Alpha icon (activities particularly good for rookies, and/or Alpha account holders ) and cards that should have no icon at all (things that anyone can do, for example, Project Discovery );

C - Finalising Text - finishing the text on the Pirate Base Destruction, Abyssal Running and Advanced Broker Relations cards. Please Note: the text on all of this is place holder text at this stage - I have writer’s block at the moment though so feel free to chip in with suggestions!

D - Useful and Cool Links Box - Finishing off this box and the link through document;

E - Credits and Thanks - Finishing adding names.

… however subject to these changes the chart is now, finally, pretty much there.

So I thought I’d post a draft.

And here’s a link to a high resolution, watermarked draft: Linky

It is only a draft and I’m not necessarily asking for feedback as such (although if you’re on the panel of people who were due to give feedback, can you please get back to me? So far only one of you has!) but the likelihood of it being published this side of Christmas just got a lot more solid.

Enjoy.

4 Likes

I like the kill right section your doing , maybe a bit about scams and the bug they have

2 Likes

Thanks!

Can you explain what you mean in a bit more detail?

3 Likes

What about:

1. Corp Management,
  2. Mentioning ALL of the AIR training & paths,
  3. Certified Skill Paths?
1 Like

I think you make some good points here @pamela_Jouhinen.

In terms of these three areas …

There is currently a career box that touches on corporation management: Community > In-Game > Corporation Creation, but I think you make a good point that this is an area that I could expand.

I think at this stage I’ll probably leave the chart as is (for the moment) because of a need to get the chart out there, but I will definitely pick it up on the next update.

In terms of the AIR training paths and the certified skill paths, that’s a bit more complex because I think that that might need a separate chart. Leave it with me and let me see what I can come up with – I think I have enough elements to create both, but I need to do it after I get this one out there I think.

1 Like

Thats cool, o/

1 Like

what about maybe once you reach a certain amount of people in the corp as some corps never get over 10m people so those that do should get rewared

So there’s been a slight delay in launching the chart but we really are almost there now.

I was in discussions with some of the guys at CCP about incorporating some kind of marker on the cards to indicate activities that might be best to do in fleets (the rationale here being that giving players this kind of info might be good to emphasises and build the community aspects of the game … the best ship in Eve of course being The Friend Ship ).

I did come up with a concept for the marker (see below, top to bottom, small fleet, medium fleet, large fleet, ignore the text in these examples because that’s just placeholder text) …

… but I think at this stage finessing this to the point where it can be applied is just going to delay it too much (one for the next version of the chart I think …) and I really want to get it out there.

And so hopefully over the next week I’m going to do one final check and then upload as previous mentioned …

< takes deep breath >

4 Likes

A quick straw poll …

Since we’re in the last stages of the chart I have a question about the use of icons on the career cards and I’d like your views please.

As a reminder, the aim of the chart is to map out several themed career paths each with a whole bunch of activity cards detailing things that you can do in the game. Because there are now Alpha (restricted) and Omega (unlimited) accounts some activities are limited to Omega Accounts and some activities are open to all players. In addition to this, there are some activities that are particularly suitable for new players and rookies.

There are therefore three possible monogram options for the cards on the chart:

– Alpha icon displayed

– Omega icon displayed

– No icon displayed

This is an example of what those options look like on a card (ignore the text because this is just placeholder text)

And so here is the poll what should be on the cards - please vote for one option - thanks

• Option 1
    Activities that are restricted to Omega accounts - Omega monogram
    Activities that are not limited - no monogram
    Activities that are aimed at rookies and/or Alphas - Alpha monogram

• Option 2
    Activities that are restricted to Omega accounts - Omega monogram
    All other activities - Alpha monogram

0 voters

1 Like