[SARUM] Slaves Freed in Honor of Jubilee

Hope that more families in Empire will begin to change the way of living and begin abandoning the slavery lifestyle.

As an Amarr too, i would love to see the Empire to grow together with the new Empress into another golden age.

This had nothing to do with ‘abandoning the slavery lifestyle’. 50 people. Out of fifteen thousand slaves they hold. So an annual birth rate of 3.5 per 1000 slaves—which is lower than anything in human history by a lot—replaces them all.

Don’t mistake this for a move away from slavery. This was—I’m sorry, Ali—a PR stunt. I’m happy for those 50 people, but it changes nothing.

2 Likes

This act was not meant to change anything outside of the lives of those families affected, and the only reason it was publicized was that it coincided with Her Majesty’s Julilee celebrations. In the future such emancipation acts will just happen. You, and most anyone else, shall be none the wiser of it.

3 Likes

Uttering the statement “And I very much enjoy the company of Strike Commander Kim”

… should really make you think.

3 Likes

I never thought it was, Lady Newelle. I was merely addressing Ms. Norn’s impression that this gesture meant you were fully embracing emancipation, rather than making a token move that will affect the number of human beings you claim are your property in absolutely no meaningful way.

4 Likes

I was merely addressing Ms. Norn’s impression that this gesture meant you were fully embracing emancipation

Ah, yes, we certainly do not want to give out that impression.

3 Likes

Aww… so there is no movement at all to change the Empire to the better i guess?

If there is, it’s in the form of weapons production in the Republic.

3 Likes

There’s kind of this pattern in the Empire where basically everybody insists that their own view is the oldest and most traditional way of approaching the world, if you just look at history and the Scriptures the right way.

Basically, whatever their views, almost everybody insists that they and their political allies are the real conservatives. Most of them do seem to want to shift the Empire in some direction or other, though.

To put it a little differently, there are people who might want to change the Empire for the better. But they usually say it quietly, and with care-- not as though they are arguing for a step into something new, but a restoration of something old, something lost or misunderstood.

1 Like

… and then get arrested, enslaved, and/or executed for it anyway.

1 Like

Arrendis, did you somehow miss that every single one of the Great Houses has some kind of agenda that it tends to press for, given the chance, that isn’t a perfect match to current Imperial policy and practice?

I have no reason to think it doesn’t go all the way down Amarrian society’s social structure either. Varying opinions are allowed for, if only because they’re inevitable. It’s when those variances wander into heresy or treason that people start getting out the laser rifles.

(Or maybe just get noisy enough about it to threaten the social order-- constructive treason, I suppose?)

3 Likes

I find it amusing how you foreign heathens think to have any idea of what is ‘best’ for the Empire.

4 Likes

I of course do not mean to offer any opinion as to the best course for the Empire, Lady Admiral. Considering my position, such a thing would be both futile and foolish for me to offer here.

Please forgive me if I’ve been careless with my words.

1 Like

Why not? You seem to think you know what’s ‘best’ for everyone else.

3 Likes

Because we do. One day you will understand, Ms Del’thul.

2 Likes

Turnabout is fair play, sweetie. You slavers still insist that you know what’s best for the rest of us, don’t you?

Oh damn, I see that Miz beat me to the punch.

3 Likes

They do, Miz.

That’s why they’re hel-bent on provoking us into killing them all.

4 Likes

Or if ‘authority’ notices something being said by an individual who doesn’t have enough power to make it more useful to simply ignore that they’ve committed the crime of having their own opinion.

2 Likes

It is among equals, that is not the case here. You are beneath the Amarr as I am beneath His Majesty Lord Sarum. It is the way of things. I do understand your frustration to change what cannot be changed. I am forever tainted by my forefathers and there is nothing to be done about it. I will never be as a True Amarr in God’s eyes.

1 Like

I don’t consider myself or my people inferior to any individual, race or culture. That’s your hangup Newelle.

1 Like