Secrets Of The Abyss - Event Feedback Thread

Yeah, exactly like that. But with the added functionality of being used to open up the loot box in the abyssal pocket to obtain those weird lore items that no one seems to know much about.

2 Likes

I give you triglavian cookie for that post. :+1:

CCP, give this man a cookie too. He knows how to fix this.

3 Likes

Well that’s me finished with this event - did 50 points on two characters for the cerebral Accelerators and have no intention of doing any more, sorry.

Well that’s me finished with this event - did 50 points on two characters for the cerebral Accelerators and have no intention of doing any more, sorry.

Depending on which one of the bugs you were lucky enough to encounter, and the overall abysmal design, there wouldn’t be any point anyway.

If you grind the others without the “Delve into the abyss” challenge (assuming like the majority it didn’t reset) , remembered to repeatedly click the redeem rewards button in the agency whilst trying not to die, so you don’t lose the later rewards in each pocket, and as 10 rats die, Then If you really Grind hard, try to avoid sleep/family and bio breaks, then there MIGHT just be enough time remaining to gain a frigate skin. If you were willing to full mental on the mutaplasmid experiment chain, at around a quarter of a billion isk per round, it shouldn’t take more than a few tens of thousands of Plex to go that route. and you might get a cruiser skin!!! :face_vomiting: (until that locks up too)
There simply isn’t enough time left to complete the event, whilst allowing sleep, sanity, and something left in the wallet.

Lets be realistic, they aren’t going to rewrite the event now and extend it.

Your decision is understandably the only sane and rational response when presented with this event.

1 Like

Exaggerate much?

Without the Delve into the Abyss points, you gain 22-24 points per site (5 for entering, 5 for each of the 3 pockets and 2 for every 10 enemies). That means hitting the final 1000 points reward will take you 40-45 runs. A Tier 1 site can be run in 5-6 minutes, even with low skills (which I know, because I’ve done so on a character that was previous skilled for non-combat and I had to quickly rush a skillplan because that character did get Delve-resets). So that’s at most 5 hours of Abyss farming, which is less than an hour per day for the 6 days that are remaining.

Is that worth it? That’s up to everyone to decide for themselves. But it’s a very achievable target and in no way the no-life grind you make it out to be.

3 Likes

Thank you for putting hard figures on the amount of grind required.

You might want to consider that for those who have been reset back to zero, those affected with multiple bugs, those who didn’t realise that without clicking as you go in, before you jump every pocket, every few rats, whilst trying not to be overwhelmed when the agency window takes all the spare time available to whilst loading, (not mentioning random client bugs and disconnects) just MIGHT not feel so confident in your contention.

I specifically pointed out it was JUST achievable. Practical, realistic, fun? and without hitting other bugs? not so much.

Edit:- I am less sure about your contention that you can finish a site in 5-6 minutes. A pocket certainly but three pockets in a site? With a low skilled character? I would really like to know how you managed to do that. 14-16 minutes per site is more realistic. You might want to revisit your numbers.

You might want to consider that for those who have been reset back to zero, those affected with multiple bugs, those who didn’t realise that without clicking as you go in, before you jump every pocket, every few rats, whilst trying not to be overwhelmed when the agency window takes all the spare time available to whilst loading, (not mentioning random client bugs and disconnects) just MIGHT not feel so confident in your contention.

By now, those people know how the Abyss pockets work, that they have to open the agency window to get the rewards and perhaps even that if they minimize the agency window instead of closing it it’ll open without lag the next time. While opening the agency window to get the rewards takes a bit of time, it’s not like you need several minutes to open a window, click a button and close (or rather: minimize!) the window.

I specifically pointed out it was JUST achievable. Practical, realistic, fun? and without hitting other bugs? not so much.

No, you claimed that people would have to avoid sleep, family and bio breaks in order to get the frigate skin, which is the second reward at 150 points (IIRC). That’s simply not true. 150 points is 6 or 7 runs. That’s 1 abyssal site per day to get the frigate skin if you start from scratch. Even getting to 1000 from 0 is quite doable without losing sleep.

And if the Delve-reset works for your character (I have a suspicion that it works OK for characters who started on the event after the Friday patch), you just do 2 sites (T1 & T2) per day on 2 different days and you’re at 150.

Edit:- I am less sure about your contention that you can finish a site in 5-6 minutes. A pocket certainly but three pockets in a site? With a low skilled character? I would really like to know how you managed to do that. 14-16 minutes per site is more realistic. You might want to revisit your numbers.

And yet I’ve been doing it on 2 of my characters (but not on my main, who would be faster, but is affected by the Delve reset bug). The relevant combat skills of these characters are typically no more than rank 3. They use a Gila with the same RLML / passive shield fit that so many use, except they use meta-level modules because they can’t use tech 2 (due to low skills). There’s really not that much to it. Zone in, launch drones, fly towards the lootbox with AB while blowing up rats along the way. Blow up lootbox, collect loot, fly towards gate, return drones once rats are dead. Repeat.

1 Like

Sorry to disagree, but a low skilled character consistently clearing L1 and 2 pockets in less than 2 minutes, is not credible. I think you are confusing pockets with completing the 3 pockets in a site.

Anyway. There is no reason or value to get hung up on exactly how much grinding is required to actually complete the event. Whether your figures or three/four times your figures is hardly going to redeem the impression of the event in ANYONES mind. If you can do that, congratulations, but no one else can clear a pocket, -including loading grid, crossing the grid, killing all the rats, looting the loot, burning to gate, reloading ammo, dealing with the Agency, and Jumping to the next pocket- alpha or max skill, consistently in less than 2 minutes in other than a cockroach (or dev cruiser equivalent).

There is absolutely No point arguing over the number of deckchairs, when you are up to your arse in freezing water.

Had a ‘Secrets of the Grrrrr Abyss’ moment today…

Cleared an Abyssal site and was in the middle of jumping back to normal space when the timer ran out. Ended up getting the rewards points in the Neocom, but losing my ship and clone in the process.

Seems like there’s a small inconsistency there. Surely it shouldn’t be both get reward points (as in cleared and back to normal space) and lose your ship and clone (not cleared and not back to normal space)?

Am I just being a dumbass? Anyone else had the same?

Grrrrr :wink:

1 Like

I have read on Reddit, that this has happened to other people. Apparently SOMETIMES the timer runs out before session change has COMPLETED rather than counting you as complete and safe on session change.

I would suggest creating a bug report, then add the bug report number to a support ticket requesting reimbursement.

Being reimbursed for losing a ship to a bug would be quite reasonable.
The clearer you can demonstrate it was a bug, and the bug report should help, the better. Especially as the event rewarded you for safe and in time completion, point this out.

1 Like

Thanks. I thought maybe I was missing something. At least it’s not just me :slight_smile:

I’m not too fussed about the ship (it was only a 28m ship/fit), but I think I’ll submit a bug report as suggested as it’d be a real PITA if it happened to someone with an expensive fit).

Cheers for the reply!

1 Like

I am glad to hear your ship was not an expensive loss. My sympathies are with those running high level sites, and the inevitable requirements for extremely expensive ships and pods.

Now, difficult is not an issue, one can make mistakes and die, fit poorly and die, lose attention and die. Those are reasonable. A Hard Design policy agreed, but understandable.

Where I begin to have issues with the Abyss is it does not take into account the realities of the world we ALL live in.

We have developers making mistakes, errors in coding, instability in the client, server issues, DDOS attacks, suboptimal ISP’s, interruptions in service, and families, vying and sometimes demanding instant attention. This is the real world, pretending it doesn’t exist never ends well.

When one decides to completely ignore the world as it actually exists, and bring in a “Hard Death timer”, because it sounds good to marketing, one really has to question whether those making the big decisions, have completely lost touch with reality?

Either way, I contend that Marketing have already achieved all the gains they are ever going to from this original choice, and the game AS WELL as marketing would now gain from putting all the loot in the final room locked by rats until destruction, and changing the timer to a “spit out” timer, balanced by the fact that one wouldn’t get the loot if you ran out of time.

I know CCP are VERY slow to adapt and change mechanics once they have outlived the benefits of the initial choices, but this is a case where it is so obvious, it needs laser like focus.

The benefits to Abyssal engagement would be immense.

2 Likes

Issues with the agency not updating after completion of exploratory sequencing, and delve into the abyss. That is; it just hangs and the task must be redone.

any word when they fixing the agency? anytime before the event is over would be nice.

1 Like

ok , what did I miss?

Nothing new, no updates, nothing fixed, a couple of days less to finish the event, tumbleweeds basically.

Hey guys,

Quick update on this.

We’ve looked at data and there are currently still two issues with the event that are being experienced by a hanful of people.

• “Delve Into The Abyss” is not resetting at downtime for a small number of pilots.

We dropped out a patch for this earlier in the week, and it’s fixed this issue for pretty much all pilots, however there’s a small numberl who’re still experiencing this issue.

We’re looking at it, but it may be the case that there’s no fix in place before the event ends.

• A handful of players can’t access the event due to an issue with active challenges when they log in.

We’ve looked at this, but we’ve had trouble reproducing the issue. This is also only affecting a handful of people.

Again, we’re looking at it, but it’s doubtful that a fix will be in place for this event.

As with all our events, this is an ongoing learning process, and as we run more and more, we’ll learn from issues that occur with each one and eliminate them for the next.

Apologies for the delay in coming back to you guys with more information, it’s been a crazy busy week or two :slight_smile:

Also accelerators seem to be limited to the date of not actual event start (start + 1 month), but planned start (planned start + 1month). But since event started later those who obtain em loose the difference between start dates. SHould be around 1 week(remember that change of the start date).

Hi Falcon & thanks for the update

Are there any plans to compensate the people who can’t get their daily accelerator reward? While I won’t pretend to be able to farm T4 sites and get the reward from that task, my main can easily do T2 abyssal sites and by being stuck with this bug, apparently as one of the special few, I miss out on one accelerator per day. That’s about 10 from last Friday (when the daily reset was introduced according to the patchnotes) until the end of the event. And that’s 10 * 12 * 1.5 * 60 * 24 * 1.8 = 467K skillpoints, which is a fairly substantial amount.

3 Likes

Well, 2 broken “Delve into the Abyss” tasks per 6 character, it seems like not my lucky event, or my luck is fine and 1/3rd is actually small number of players…

Please, CCP, make events properly, you did used to do them well before. We can fly without one for few more weeks, and it will be far better to play rare and well designed event. And please, remove that annoying redeem buttons in agency, because only feedback on them after a week is “i don’t use four letter words”.

1 Like