Secrets Of The Abyss - Event Feedback Thread

Secrets of the Abyss STILL MISSING from THE AGENCY. You’ve told me since release you’re aware of the problem and working on it. Now there are FOUR ( 4 ! ) days left of the event.

I reactivated two accounts, purchased two meteor packs because i was hyped for this event…
So you’re telling me this was basically a cashgrab. ■■■■ you

1 Like

I really appreciate you finally responding I really do but a respond to all of us about you guys aware and working on it should had been done a week ago. Just a waste of time to keep login on and checking the forums to confirm u guys are at least aware of the issue is a waste of everyone time. A response now just make it seems you guys just found out about it yesterday.

Thank you for the reply if you have read the thread (and because it is you I bet you read every word) you know all about the problems, and that it has had widespread effect, and how many players were effected.

The past is past, what has happened has happened, and we, the player base really do not need to know all the gory details, Just that CCP in whatever form will ensure it never goes this bad again, and lessons will be learned and actioned.

If people (and companies) Learn from their mistakes, and improve, NO-ONE has a right to criticise. And all should praise their efforts.

We wish to praise your efforts, not criticise, Please help us do that.

You guys are so overreacting, based on the official CCP representative’s reply you are just a vocal minority, nothing more. :stuck_out_tongue:

/s

What is the correct reaction to you when people can’t do the event while receiving promotional e-mails to come and do them? Nothing else but angry is correct.

At the end of the day, CCP Falcon will of course damp down the fires. More importantly, the fact he is involved indicates in the clearest possible manner that they take this seriously and will make sure it gets dealt with properly, and by that I mean It will never be allowed to happen again, and management will ensure the event team has what is needed to make that the case.

Whilst there are no guarantees the fact CCP falcon was the responder speaks volumes and is a very positive sign.

The poor event team must have been horrified how things turned out, and need support and assistance from within CCP to recover and move forward for all of our sakes.

It has been a horrible experience for all concerned Players and the team, and I do wish them the best.

:wink:

:wink:

I got it, time to let things calm down, the cavalry has arrived.

Sometimes a wheel has to come off before it can get the attention it needs. Lets not focus on everyone it ran down. :sunglasses:

Just a tip: Check the top right corner of my post to see who I reply to. If there is no name there to indicate such it either means I reply to the OP (thread in general) or the post right before my reply, but in this case (as I reply to someone not right before my reply) it shows the name of who I replied to. (Not you.)

oops :slight_smile: Good suggestion for the thread overall though, Re links, thanks for pointing that out, I admit I missed it.

I mean, you’re right about the accels not being farmable if you can’t or don’t want to do a t5, but there are a couple other reasons to do the event. Namely, the 2 extendeds and the 3 skins you get from farming up from 0 to 1000 points (per toon).

I got to 1000 points with 3 toons flying Gilas in just t1s/t2s and it took me just 6 days of not-super-crazy-farming (compared to what I usually do during site beacon type events, at least!) to do that. Sucks there’s no point to run past that unless you’re a t5-completer, but oh well.

A) There’s been a couple previous events that didn’t add new sites to do. The one where you either got bounties from ratting or missioning, or you scanned sites down and completed them, etc. etc. But yeah, generally the better events are the ones with a unique time-limited site for the 2 week run… that you can farm as little or as much as you like for chances of skins/accels EACH and every site.

B) Some have said the button-clicking is to prevent bots from profiting from the events… but I agree, it was a really needless step. Doing the event on 3 toons to 1000… so much clicking. So much extra clicking.

C) ayup. woulda been nice for the Delve task to reset on each downtime or after 20 hours or whatever, but… it didn’t. At least it didn’t when I hit 1000 late Sunday night after 6 straight days of farming my way up to 1000 x 3. But I accepted it awhile back, as I mostly wanted the Damavik+Vedmak+Leshak skins, the accels were a bonus (getting 1 prototype and 2 extended per toon was a weird balance, but hey… that’s still 14 days of accelerated training thanks to my bio 5 x 3, I’ll take it).

D) I luckily never got a duplicate task this event. I’ve had similar issues in past events, but this time I was lucky, I guess. I did have the agency window freeze up and not allow me to click the clicky for my points once or twice, but fully closing it and re-opening it fixed it (normally I just minimize so when I bring it back up it doesn’t take as long to load the Agency tasks portion of the window… pro tip).

E) Agreed. Better than having to choose between self-destructing yourself back to Luminaire over and over again or fly back and forth each race over and over again. And just better gameplay in general because running the Abyss is more fun (to me) than jump-warp-jump-warp-jump-warp-jump forever and ever, which we all get enough of in our normal day to day EVE lives unless we’re station traders that don’t haul anything themselves from trade hub to trade hub… but no where near as good as an event as the Amarr slaver event in July, or any of the other standard-ish events (Blood Raiders Halloween x 3, Guristas Easter x 2, Angel Guardian Gala x 2, Serpentis Shadow of the Serpent x 1… hell, Operation Frostline even x 1, Purity of the Throne x 1.

Maybe. But the skins you get from agency points this event are an entirely different skin set than the skins on sale in the store. Singularity Storm vs. Hadean Horror respectively. Fortunately for me, I enjoy the skins from the event much more than the skins in the store this time around (opposite of the Dawn of Liberation event skins vs. Chainbreaker skins in the store last month!).

With the Delve task stuck for my toons forevermore, I would get: 5+5+5+5 points per t1 or t2 site, then +2 for every 10 rats, so usually +2 or +4 or +6 per site for a total of 22/24/26 per t1/t2 site. and then the +2 for doing a decayed plasmid every day. I refused to waste my precious few gravids/unstables (I’ve gotten like 200 decayed and only 4 gravids and 4 unstables after doing about 400 t1s, 400 t2s, and 100 t3s. I don’t feel the need to blow through them for apparently just a CHANCE (not a sure thing) at getting the shield/armor ancillary plasmids. Hell no.

… not sure why you guys chose to keep it a secret so that we had to find out from the few people who are doing things like running t5s and blowing all 3 varieties of plasmids on the mutation tasks. I mean sure, the joys of discovery and all, but I’m sure there’s gonna be a loooooot of people who tried this event, whether a little or a lot, who are bitterly disappointed they had no chance, no shot at getting the ancillary plasmids despite all the advertising of the event crowing about them.

Yeah, the frig book was 160 mil ISK in Amarr as recently as a week or two ago. Sad to see it under 100 mil (99 in Amarr yesterday, sold one spare copy I got during the event, still waiting on the other spare copy to sell). Glad I’ve sold about 4 or 5 of those before the prices cratered. I think the first one I ever sold was for 240 mil? And I was far from an early adopter of the Abyss (couldn’t try it till mid-June due to being trapped in a WH) + saved up 3 of each skillbook for my own use before I started selling any spares.

In the sites I’ve done, as mentioned earlier in this post, I’ve gotten between 5 and 10 of each of the skillbooks EXCEPT for the tech 2 weapon specialization books, of which I’ve gotten just 1 small and 1 medium (0 large) so far… But yeah, the tech 1 frig/cruiser/battleship and tech 1 S/M/L weapon skillbooks I’ve gotten enough for 1 each for my 3 toons, 1 each for a friend of mine who wanted to buy them from me, and a few more to sell or hold onto in case I ever have another toon that wants to fly Triglavian stuff.

That’s very unfortunate… and it’s still not working for you after a week plus?

Edit: nvm, I had missed your post from 2 days ago saying the abyssal event was finally back in your agency window. Better late than never, I suppose… glad to hear it, in any event.

Tell your corpmate to use a Gila. You can fire RLMLs at the frigs while the bonused medium drones rip apart the cruisers/battleships. Best of both missleboat and droneboat worlds.

Do what I did and bring them back to station to open. Having to do all the agency window clicking for points AND inserting red loot into the caches for those data vaults before blowing up the cache for the usual loot was (more than) enough extra work during the event, I didn’t bother with opening the vaults themselves in-site, I did it in-station.

My solution for that event was switching from triple Ishtars to two Ishtars + triple-faction-web Loki. Took care of that drifter cruiser nice and quick. ;D

… yep, and for me 3 characters that have never reset out of 3 for the first week of the event. Haven’t checked in the past 2-3 days as I’ve been on a break from the abyss after all that farming, but based on Falcon’s post, sounds like we should re-check.

Yeah, I’d rather have 4 really excellent events per year (once every 3 months) than have 10-12 events per year, nearly once a month or at least every 6 weeks… where 3 or 4 (usually Blood Raider, Angel, Serpentis, Guristas, etc. the ones we’ve had more than once already and are fast becoming traditions) are good, 4 or 5 are kinda meh but okay (the slaver event in July comes to mind, Op Frostline way back in the day, the Rogue Drone one summer of 2017, the Drifter Cruiser one in spring of 2018), and then there’s the 3 that are highly experimental but really not very good (Grand Prix, say, and this one).

Not sure I can believe it’s that small a number, since all 3 of mine, all 7 of Chainsaw’s, IIRC, and multiple other people in this thread had Delve not resetting for the entire first week and weekend of the event on some or ALL of their accounts/toons, but… if it’s fixed, I might see if I can earn a bit more prototype accel action from doing 1 t1 and 1 t2 per day x 3. Already done with the 1000+ points grind, tho, so no point doing more than that unless I’m just in the mood for farming the abyss. But I’ve been taking a break since I hit 1000 points earlier this week due to overexposure anyway.

False. It did work only for those who got new challenge step after friday patch. Those who are stuck with tier 4/5 before friday are still stuck with it.
Really how hard it is to do UPDATE query on database for challenges with ID given before friday? CCP DB admin on holidays or what?

2 Likes

This.

2 Likes

Preliminary result of the event (not end of the day yet, but still):

Unstable Abyssal Depths

Monthly History

Kills Points ISK Losses Points ISK Efficiency Top 10
August 5,116 5,196 1.67t 0 0 0 100.0% 8 / 2018
July 3,023 4,348 1.26t 0 0 0 100.0% 7 / 2018
June 12,449 16,568 3.39t 0 0 0 100.0% 6 / 2018
May 2,331 3,182 720.13b 0 0 0 100.0% 5 / 2018

Abyssal Spaceship Entities

Monthly History

August 8,968 9,433 2.81t 0 0 0 100.0% 8 / 2018
July 4,677 13,152 1.65t 0 0 0 100.0% 7 / 2018
June 13,418 39,136 4.29t 0 0 0 100.0% 6 / 2018
May 3,719 8,207 972.93b 0 0 0 100.0% 5 / 2018

Abyssal Drone Entities

Monthly History

August 2,717 2,812 934.81b 0 0 0 100.0% 8 / 2018
July 1,407 3,291 542.03b 0 0 0 100.0% 7 / 2018
June 4,406 9,742 1.55t 0 0 0 100.0% 6 / 2018
May 1,129 2,027 322.84b 0 0 0 100.0% 5 / 2018

Overall instead of going down, kills goes up comparing to last month. And they went up sugnificantly, IMHO.

I’ve not been back long enough to comment on most of that (I was AWOL for a number of years), except maybe for a small comment on the ‘hard death timer’.

I have had a response with respect to my original post. I have been informed by CCP that the rewards and timer death are not connected in any way.

In my mind, I think that if a pilot dies as a result of the timer expiring (or for any other reason for that matter), there shoud be no rewards. Zilch. Nada. Nothing. But that’s just me :smile:

Secondly, and this I think is wrong, CCP have told me that you have to spawn back into normal space before the timer expires. If it expires as you activate the gate back to normal space, or it expires during the animation when transiting to normal space, then you die and lose everything (well, except the reward points as mentioned above).

IMO that’s a little harsh. I would have thought that, once the gate back has been activated and the pilot has lost control of his or her ship to the game animation (i.e. the gate or transit animation is running) then the mission would be flagged as a success and the timer would have ceased. But apparently not. Not sure I agree with this as reasonable personally.

I guess the lessons for me here are:

1. Cheapest fit possible and get rewards irrespective of the timer running out - as there is no connection between the two.
  2. Make sure that the timer has at least 20+ seconds left before exiting to normal space.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think that the timer should really stop when the exit gate is activated, and for a number of reasons.

Anyway, that’s my thoughts based on the feedback from CCP.

You activate final gate, you get warp animation and few seconds later information about heavy traffic and time dilatation. After 2 mins waiting to load system you notice you are in new clone instead on abyssal trace entry point. Well if it works that way it sounds like a bug to me.

1 Like

I am going to call BS to your “only affects a small number of players”

It isn’t a small or insignificant number of players affected by this SNAFU.

A large amount of players are now missing out on the extra ISK selling the proto-accelerators would have generated or the decent amount of SP they would have produced.

I was bugged on this quest for over 5 days after you “patched” it. Somehow I managed to force reset it (was not a DT reset) and attempted to do the same thing on my other Accounts that were running the “Secrets of the Abyss” event but have not succeeded.

Since I’m here I’m going to list my other gripes with this event besides the clear advantages some are already getting from what was listed above.

1. The random spawns. Currently you can get a harder T2 spawn than certain T5 spawns, which is fine…IF you were rewarded based on the difficulty of the spawn, it is ridiculous that someone can die in a Gila with a good fit on a T2 but another person with the exact same fit clearing a T5. Not only that but the harder spawns on lower tiers still do not get you anything more.
    1. Why do you release the event on a Tuesday morning? Yes, that’s when patches are implemented but you could have simply seeded the code to activate on a Thursday or Friday evening when more players would have been able to access it. There is no reason for you to launch it on the Tuesday morning because again only a small amount of players who are not working/school/other are available to try it out. If your reasoning is test it out with a small amount of players first? Well then the Test server would’ve been the place for that and not the main live server.
    1. Will the players who got screwed as CCP hasn’t attempted to fix the issue and even redacted their patch note from that previous patch be compensated in some way or everyone in general for the blunder that CCP has released?
    1. If this was simply a test to get people to use the Abyssals so that it wasn’t another wasted resource such as the Captain’s Quarters was this a success or not considering all the bugs (not just about the quest track but of the ships exploding because of session change not registering)?
1 Like

By FAR the most frustrating part of this failure is that they’re still trying to spin it as the best event evar. Sorry, but “only affecting a handful of players” is completely false. 7 of my 10 characters that tried it are stuck, as are almost everyone I play with that actually tried it.

Ignoring this thread for 95% of the event, then posting a condesending non-answer, and sending out emails about how awesome it is when it is still broken for a lot of people, now this https://www.eveonline.com/article/pec64u/secrets-of-the-abyss-final-weekend shows that they are burying their head in the sand and pretending this event was a resounding success.

1 Like