Ship/Cargo Scanner to give penalty e.g. suspect timer

We understand you refuse to accept that any information in scanning that does not go beyond listening for signals that ships send out of their hulls is not equal to sending signals into a hull and trying to get information from inside it.

So let me put it this way,

Why is a SCANNER penetrating a hull aggressive? What makes a hull so different to a can or mobile structure?

Going down this route takes longer, but at the end itā€™s going to fall back on either the expectations of privacy (which is false) or ā€˜just causeā€™.

You meanā€¦ā€˜just causeā€™.

Exactly the point. ā€˜just causeā€™ you donā€™t accept a different view it is thus wrong. You donā€™t actually present reasons why changing the others would convert them into penetration of the outer hull. You just assume they will be considered as penetrating the outer hull ā€˜just causeā€™ and nothing more.

No. Iā€™m saying your view is ā€˜just causeā€™.

A can, mtu or ship are all just pixels. They all have an owner as far as the game cares. Whatā€™s the difference? When it comes to scanning, why treat them differently?

And your view is ā€˜just causeā€™ as well but you donā€™t accept that. quid pro quo.

Now lets ignore the declaration that everything in the internet is just pixels as itā€™s off topic in the first place.

A Jetcan is an unlocked container which displays itā€™s contents should you be near enough due to the fact that itā€™s flimsy and will explode if not collected within 2 hours. You get close enough you can look inside.

An anchored can (also known as a secure container) is fortified to not be exploding and can remain in space. You donā€™t get to look inside by just being close enough. The only way you get to look inside is by scanning. The anchored can actively prevents itself from being looked into without owner permission or a good hacker skill in which you can guess the access code.

How do you equate looking into one and the other as different? Just these two.

I also canā€™t look inside an mtu, or a fleet hangar I donā€™t have access to, without scanning. But thats to do with not having access to take and nothing to do with scanning.

No, weā€™re not talking about MTU, fleet hangars, or other things. Just differences between a jetcan and a secure container. Try to remain on that if you can.

I just did then.

No permission to take. No looky looky without scanner.

Now why should we consider the ā€œlooky lookyā€ as not actively trying to penetrate the hull?

Wrong question.

Why should we consider it aggressive?

Weā€™re not considering it aggressive. We consider it suspicious.

ā€œCommander, an active scanning beacon is targeting our ship and has penetrated our hull.ā€

Well looking into a jet can is suspicious. So is scanning a ships fit. Or probing someone down.

But you donā€™t go suspect for suspicious behaviour. You go suspect for theft, shooting peoples stuff and directly aiding in a fight youā€™re not part of.

So what would you do differently if such a thing were implemented?

You have a freighter full of goods 15km from the gate and suddenly a ship turns flashy yellow, what do you do?

This is where we have an issue. We are saying using your eyeballs is not suspicious. We are saying using a device to look into an area you donā€™t have permission to by evading the block is. Doubly so when there is a second door preventing you from seeing into a location.

Lol quick change in direction thereā€¦

Eyes, devices, no difference. You become privy to the contents within just the same. Unless using a ship scanner should also cause suspect. And scanning a jet can/mtu/secure can should cause suspect. And using probes on the above etc.

1 Like

A device that allows you to access something your eyes (or actually your passive sensors) have no access.

That is, a device that allows you to bypass the defense people made.
People call it suspicious because you actively are bypassing other peopleā€™s defenses (against intel).

You really need to drop that habit of blaming people because they answer your question. This is really childish and makes you look a lot like a troll.

Again, if you donā€™t want an answer, then donā€™t ask a question. That is hypocritical of you.

You asked why people consider the scanners aggressive. Someone tells you why it should get yourself a suspect flag. ā€œLol quick change in direction thereā€¦ā€ is your answerā€¦ dumbass.

So your opinion on the topic is ā€œI donā€™t want it, just becauseā€. If you start a discussion by saying ā€œit canā€™t go anywhere but to what I thinkā€, this is not a discussion. So donā€™t ever ask questions. just leave the topic for people who actually want to discuss, there is no point in wasting time with someone who is right even when he is wrong.

Then why does it look like an aggressive module to me ?
Simply because it is only used, in HS, in order to acquire intel on people, so that you know if it is worth shooting them afterwards. It allows you to reduce the cost of ganking, and/or to give this intel to other people (as a neutral alt).
It is a factor of imbalance between gankers and ganked, as the gankers donā€™t have anything to lose besides what they are willingly losing. With suspect triggered by scan modules, at least the bankers will have something to lose more often than only catalysts when a target is found.
So, to me, it is aggressive from a balance perspective.

The eyes miner art was referring to is looking into peoples cans. This isnā€™t passive. Itā€™s as deliberate as scanning someone.

Also, what defences? When Iā€™m flying around what defences do i have for scanning to bypass? If there was something i could fit that block scans then youā€™d be onto something.

Nope. From the very beginning,

Scanners causing suspect is inconsistent with both crimewatch and other scanners/probes/indirect assistance/scouting etc

You folks keep going on about suspicious behaviour but going ā€˜suspectā€™ has nothing to do with suspicious behaviour. It takes very deliberate and direct damage or theft to go suspect.

Waaaagh, Gankers! Just one more nerf.

Thanks for admitting it.

nope. This is passive. he is just looking at what is shown on the can. You donā€™t need anything for this, even a capsule can do it.

nope.
What make suspect or not is not consistent. Itā€™s just arbitrary choices fro CCP.

Because somebody else than gankers use scanners on ppl in HS ?
You just discovered something here ?