Shooting new players is a good thing! YES or NO?

Here they looked into 80k new players and tried to figure out if the common sentiment that ganking causes new players to leave is true. They also looked at all the responses they get from the account cancellation reasons and < 1% cite ship loss.

Here CCP Quant looked into all the data they have collected over the years. The figured out that the most important reason a player sticks around is if they where killed by another player followed by if they joined a LARGE corp.

Then we have the guy from zKillboard which looks at the data he has to determine where people get killed (the majority of new players is not in this data because they simply don’t get killed) and a really really small percentage gets killed in Highsec:

Take a look at them. The big majority of those threads are not from new players, they are from old players who have various reasons to make Highsec a safer place. I think most of them have actually good intentions like yourself and try to genuinely help new players. But there are also a good portion who just want a 100% secure farming ground and use new players as an excuse.

In almost every single one of those threads are actually new players speaking out that this isn’t all really a problem for them because they can handle the game. Which is realistic, think back to the time you joined, did you perceive Highsec as a super dangerous place? And it was much much more dangerous back then objectively.

As for the people who are genuinely trying to help players. I know you just mean well, but you are underestimating them. They are not children and I really think that for some reason people think of new players as children which have to be protected and nurtured, it’s like a parenting instinct gone wrong. Because they are not children looking for safety and you feeding them, they are games looking for an interesting game to play which challenges and entertains them.

They come to EVE expecting space battles, an interesting sandbox full of action, industry betrail and space politics they may have heard about. But what they get is a really dull Highsec where you can shoot some NPC pirates and mine, where noting interesting ever happens except you actually happen to come across a real player pirate who engages with other players in the system.

Isolating new players even more is the complete opposite of what CCP should do and they already figured that out by looking at the actual data they have. But despite their effort to communicate it it seems that most players still hold on to this idea that new players have to mine for half a year in complete safety to “get ready” or something.

1 Like