Shooting new players is a good thing! YES or NO?

I do that, unless they’re being pissy whiners lol
then I kill them more

Yeah, that might happen. Problem is that you get a lot of cognitive bias there: You don’t “see” the new players that stay because EVE is badass. And when you get killed constantly by gankers something went wrong anyway. Chances are good that if it happens to you as a new player it will keep happening to you later on.

Got baited on a frigate looting my mission, learned that some frigates have a punch. Never got suspect baited again. If you don’t learn from such situations you will have a hard time in EVE, no matter if new or not.

Please don’t argue around in here.
Make a seperate thread for this, otherwise they will just get this one locked.

Thank you!

1 Like

/me is behaving

3 Likes

You’re great! : )

1 Like

If you voted with “no”: How long do you concider a player “new” and when would be the ideal time to start shooting at them?

Yes. Rabble Inc. at formation was SOME of the pilots who subbed from Fredegar Hohenstaufen Corporation AFTER being shot repetedly and having fun whilst being shot

1 Like

Shouldn’t this be in GD?

Yes definitely. Just ensure to teach them something and help them back onto their feet after so they might want to fight again one day.

2 Likes

Don’t contradict yourself by asking baited questions.

Whoever harasses a new player and neglects to interact with them immediately after shouldn’t act like they did anyone a favor.

This is sink or swim.

Accepting a handout after being trolled didn’t make you anything but a beggar.

2 Likes

“what is corndord” is my new meme

They have to learn while they are still on free reapers. Otherwise they invest RL money and buy ships that either A cause them to never undock or B cause them to quit when they lose said ship.

2 Likes

I voted yes but it’s contextual IMO. Getting shot as a new player can be exciting and educational, even if you lose your ship. I guess for me it comes down to how new. If they’re less than a few days old they may have no understanding of aggression mechanics, they may not even understand how to fit their ship. Maybe they’ve never even opened the assets window, or people and places or something like that. If they’re so green they don’t even understand how they died, or why they died, and there’s nothing for them to learn, than I’d say it’s a bad idea. If they’ve been playing for a few weeks/months, than yeah, it’s time for the them to be indoctrinated. It’s time for them to join the competitive pool.

Like, for instance, when I’m hanging out in lowsec as I often do and I notice a t3d, or t1 cruiser on d scan, and figure out that its a 1 month old player, I won’t hesitate to attack because they know what they’re doing. They may suck at what they’re doing but they decided to go ratting in lowsec, in a way they wanted this. They wanted to experience the dangers of space. They signed up.

On the other hand if I found a 5 day old venture pilot mining 1 jump from Cistuvert or any of the other starting systems, I see no reason to harm or harass them because they’re still struggling with the most basic aspects of gameplay.

On the third hand, I have no qualms with other people harassing or harming new players. Eve should be open to that kind of thing, or any kind of thing for that matter, but it should be met with the balance of other players that want to help and protect new players. There has to be folks who are interested in taking new players under their wing. As long as that balance exists of good and evil, order and chaos, than the in-game can take care of itself.

So I guess in conclusion, it comes down to the individual. I have personal rules that I follow, but that’s my decision. I don’t care if someone else wants to be a scum bag, because that reflects the real world. There are helpful people, unhelpful people and everything in between. The world is made up of all different sorts of people, as is New Eden.

4 Likes

I see it now…
hordes of new players…
massing together…
for comfort and solace…
not getting shot at…
other ships avoiding them…
like lepers.

Please, don’t let this happen to new players… warm their hearts and souls with weapon fire.

2 Likes

The usual suspects (Dryson, Dracvlad, DMC, Salvos, …) would just completely derail the thread there until it would get closed. I think it’s better off here in C&P…

3 Likes

Its the best part of the game. Especially when you tell them “welcome to EVE kiddo” and than you blast em off.

1 Like

If I wasn‘t shot at and killed on my second day, I maybe wound‘t have found the energy to become better than that scrumbag … OK, to be fair, I shot first. :wink:

So I learned about suspect baiting, and that the secrets of EvE are behind the obvious mechanics.

4 Likes

A lot of newbies fall into the “I need more SP/ISK before I can do PvP” trap, that gets them stuck in boring Highsec mining until they quit.

Second biggest mistake is that they get recruited into a boring corp, and out of a misplaced sense of loyalty stay there. Few people have the mindset to go looking for challenges (even in something trivial as a internet game).

Many alliances welcome newbies/alpha characters and take decent to good care of them. It is always great if you guide someone to nullsec and a few weeks later they sent you an evemail with their first killmail.

5 Likes

I think the voting makes it clear that all rookies need shot, a few carebears think otherwise, but if it was up to the carebears there wouldn’t be a B-R fight or X47L-Q.

This is eve not job simulator online.

2 Likes