Show your creative/funny ship name

He didn’t have the courage to choose the worst case scenario but stay true to his ideals. He is a coward.

1 Like

The only person Winston embraced was himself.

He neither loved the state, nor Julia, nor freedom.

That is what makes him a coward.

1 Like

I think he didn’t even embrace himself, he nad no dignity, decency or any moral value. He is an empty husk, he is nothing. A worthless person.

Unless that is what you meant as embracing himself.

Well, in that he acted to preserve his life, even though there was nothing within that life of any value to him, or anyone else, just to continue living without dreams or hope.

Embracing literally being alive without any artistic flourish to that term.

Im sure there’s a better way to say it than Im doing.

1 Like

no he is not
the thing you fear the most its a narrative macguffin to show the reader that is inevitable

‘Under the spreading chestnut tree
I sold you and you sold me——’

But to what end?

In what way is the character developed from the start to the end of the book?

Winston as a character ends the book less developed, less interesting and less sympathetic from the reader than he was at the start.

His only hope really was to be recycled into raw material.

You can overcome your fears even the worst ones with your will… or you can give up. The choice is yours but don’t expect sympathy or approval if you do so.

1984 and animal farm are both about the same thing
but 1984 is better and more complex
both are great

they did similar things in the past
they are doing again
wen they come for us , there is no resistance
to late
with new speak we would not even have the means to THINK about resting
Winston was an old fart , dudes like him will soon be extinct

don’t let it happen
thats it

There is no character in Animal Farm that is the equivalent of Winston, except maybe the horse and at least he went down attempting to meet an unmeetable quota and so is a Hero of the State/Martyr of the Anti-State.

Just watch me

Without defining “it”, how do you not let it happen if you believe resistence is futile?

(No Star Trek jokes, please)

I think what he meant is it is a cautionary tale to warn everyone not let things come to this state described in the stories instead stop it before it gets so bad that there is no way to turn it around.

don’t speak lies knowing they are lies
wada wada wada
i don’t want to enter to much in politics
but it happened before
you know what im talking about

and there is more
the mother protecting the child from the ship canons

if a thing is useless doesn’t mean it don’t have meaning
so was Winston and Julia fight , useless and meaningful

Thing is guys, its always been this way, since the first dude said

“God made me King! Anyone who says otherwise gets sword in the neck!”

Villifying a politick that is actively against that isnt going to help anyone live better.

But the best way to resist it is to agree with that King, become the Praetorian Guard and kill him when he finally pisses you off too much.

Another interesting point;

Was any male writer in the 40s, 50s, 60s or 70s able to write a female character without having her being sex obsessed?

Sorry this is all madly off topic.

Im gonna call my next ship “Winston No-Will”

that was one of the ways she fight the power
the opposite of brave new world were being chaste is fight the power

Pretty handy for a horny man to write though.

Why wasnt Winston the sex-obsessed one?

The problem is no matter who raises to replace the tyrant, there is a very huge chance will be just as corrupt or even worse. Power corrupts and all. Though it is a shift of blame really saying absolute power corrupts absolutely because it is the person making the choice, that person if acts corrupt if has absolute power (or any) to do so was always corrupt in his heart just never had the opportunity to act upon it.

Much like how toxic trolls on the internet can act as they wish without consequence. Nobody can claim trolls were corrupted by the internet or its freedom. They are who they are and the internet grants them the opportunity to express it. The same goes for corruption… nobody is corrupted, they just act upon their own inner workings when given the opportunity.

Who cares who replaces them? The point is to throw the regime into turmoil.

With any luck there’ll be 15 different claimants to the throne.

That should keep any organised authority out of the picture for a while.

because its kinda assumed even nowadays that the man is always in the mood (fake assumption btw)
if he was the perv the contravention would be less impactful
besides modern readers would say that Winston what a creepo
R word vibes and all the buzzwords

Didn’t imply not to do it just noted the fact probably there will be no benevolent “tyrant” ever.

But in sci fi novels its always the female in the mood so men can read about it and go “Man, I wish I lived on the planet of the skanky hoes”

Oh totes, but there’s no benevolent system full stop.

Actual Communist states (Just like anarchies) as defined as such have never existed and will probably never exist because of the very fact that people are just the worst. Therefore, a perpetual state of chaos is preferrable to any lasting state of authority, if you dont like being told what to do or think.

And lets make it clear, capitalism is just a con to make people think they can own as much stuff as the rulers if they work at it. It is of course as nonsensical as a democracy being fair.

Also, I assume you are meaning the modern meanign of the word, and not the version as coined by the Greeks in opposition to their new fangled democracy.

But TLDR: I believe getting onside with what you are fighting against is the first step in active resistance if you plan to keep it going. Ive nothing against Resistence Cells, but they make it really hard on themselves.