Singularity Accessibility Update

There is, to stop people just using it for risk free testing of content so that everything they release is already min-maxed by the time it hits live lol

5 Likes

That.
And the fact that with the poor documentation on some of the mechanics, SiSi was really useful to get some level of understanding.
Moreover, it was also a good way to doublecheck on changes that somehow didn’t make it to devblogs and patch notes ( :wink: )
As to bug reporting, without a functional feedback system it’s often a waste of time. Yes yes, beta launcher and all that.

The game isn’t hard and risky enough as it is, right ? Closing SiSi is a “great” way of adding an extra slope to the learning curve, especially for those who have shown their intention to stay in the game for longer and want to grow. Looking at the login numbers for SiSi, it doesn’t seem like it was “abused” for anything, but it sure was helpful where it mattered.

It was a great customer service, that worked both ways (if ccp managed to actually use the feedback, which they did at certain points in time). It is no more. Both parties will be the worse for it, I imagine.

smh
poor decision, another bead on the string.

6 Likes

What will Aceface do now :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

becuase if i try, im just goign to fail and have to do lower end dull content to even get a chance at attempting it again

1 Like

lmao :slight_smile:

Other than that; good change, let us learn and discover the hard way like Bob intended.

1 Like

i feel the need to point out that this is a completely useless and meaningless “reward”.
with the ease of availability of PLEX and Skill Extractors on SiSi, I can very quickly reskill a pilot for any purpose on SiSi. We don’t participate in your mass tests for that pathetic and useless reward, we participate to help YOU roll out changes that are good for US.

The very few times I’ve used SiSi for other purposes was mostly to test out oddball ideas. For example,: can I multibox enough Draugurs to run C5 Wolf-Rayet sites + Drifters? (answer: No, I cannot). Would I have invested the training time and ISK to try this out on TQ? Hell no.

I don;'t log onto SiSi often, maybe once a year or so, but it’s very useful to have.
Ditching SiSi is a pretty poorly thought out move imho.

5 Likes

Welcome to EVE where loss matters and those with the power win

3 Likes

what will happen is people just won’t do those things. they won’t lose ships in unpredictable ways because they never got over the confidence barrier, that sisi let them develop. you got to be totally naive to believe that now there will be more activity on killboards, its the opposite.

3 Likes

There is a very strong perception that player-reported bugs are not corrected, or not corrected in a timely manner. This perception strongly disincentivizes player participation in testing.

CCP should address that perception. Until that is addressed, discussing “how to incentivize players to participate in the limited testing periods” is premature.

4 Likes

This.
if bugs that were found were actually solved, that would be great

4 Likes

Side-bar: Maybe you learned English as a second language, but I don’t know why you’re using “exasperate” here. I think the word you should have used is “aggravate”.
exasperate: irritate and frustrate (someone) intensely
aggravate: make (a problem, injury, or offense) worse or more serious

Not really. More probable that people simply stay away from high-end content. So, less people for you to hunt.

3 Likes

Video production is a bigger deal in this game than in most others I think - as a creative that’s one of the things that drew me to this game and why I still play it and make media content for it. That kind of player-made media content is also one of the strongest driving factors in recruiting new players. This is definitely a significant blow to making EVE video content because the test server was a great place to stage cinematic shots or get footage of things that are - especially in the current eve climate - much, much harder to get interesting footage of, i.e. supercapital combat.

The test server may not have originally been intended to be an almost-always-on playground for players to try things out, but that’s certainly what it’s become after years and years of being accessible with no indication that this would ever change, and I think this is overall a bad and unwanted update.

3 Likes

respecting yourself and respecting your customers? Isn’t that too much for CCP?

2 Likes

As the leader of a small PvP corporation, this decision saddens me. In the near future, it will make it challenging for us to bring our theories to tranquility. We have also experimented with poorly documented game mechanics on singularity in some cases.

If they want to save money, they should come up with something else.

2 Likes

This.
its hard to teach pvp to people who dont know enough about pvp

It’s not so much “new content”. Keep the “new content” hidden till it’s fully functional on TQ, fine. But after it’s released, give us back SiSi to practice the OLD content that nerd like you have figured out years agon but newbs still need to practice.

That’s literally how you prepare for the theory part of the drivers licence in germany. The driving school will not admit my son for the real test until he took a trial shot at each of the 3000 possible questions. He’s got an app for that on his phone right now.

2 Likes

BlockquoteThat’s literally how you prepare for the theory part of the drivers licence in germany. The driving school will not admit my son for the real test until he took a trial shot at each of the 3000 possible questions. He’s got an app for that on his phone right now.

lmao yeah isnt that basically what the entire education loop is about? giving you examples of how to use things

1 Like

well abyss runners are screwd :DDD

@CCP_Arcade I have some very serious issue with this concept.

1. You guys already have in house “secure” server. Use it, and then invite CSM to view project progress.

2. I have been keeping tabs on your changes to Thunderdome through various methods of questions to those familiar with it. And have been intrigued by an interesting bug that has been caused by it.

3. Mass Testing has been in the past set to times that most people can’t usually interact with. [Case and point the March 2023 Graphics Mass Testing…for your typical high end machine players no real change. But for the low end players…massive night and day change…which didn’t get pointed out. I only found out about it, because after my job, I had access to SISI and was testing the graphics out of curiousity.]

4. Exclusivity Issues allowing specific players and groups full head starts. If you are having a hoboleaks issue, you need to start shutting off the ESI and this means for all 3rd Party materials. Then that would raise questions of “leaks” directly to specific groups given heads up on content before the rest of the players.

5. SISI allows players to test ideas and concepts, then either talk to the wider EVE community about a situation or concept that would have an issue. And ironically SISI is inferior to TQ and Thunderdome. Thunderdome is Lv5 total skills, but people are finding ways to get around the restrictions on Thunderdome. SISI has limitations and lack of materials that require players but that as well is being figured out.

6. Closed Testing Sessions for CSM and VIP so CCP can show materials off. But strictly NDA. There needs to be a schedule listing for it. So everyone knows about it. Open Testing Sessions are for everyone to play around on SISI trying to figure out stuff. Closed Testing Sessions should not make up more than 25-50% of the gaming year.

7. SISI already has a time frame offset, so many times the mirror is completely out of date with Tranquility. So there is already some interesting issues with that. If one were to compare how Hoboleaks gets its info.

The issue of putting SISI to this special testing setup, will gradually shut out players from trying different things. (Aka Risk Avoidance.) It also means emergent content will continue to dwindle away as those with information, intel, leaks, etc will have massive upper hands. [Especially when using 3rd party apps and intel.] I do not believe this will be the right change for EVE online players.

Many of the “SISI Warriors” actually do participate in TQ they just like testing ideas and concepts on SISI and then going to TQ to have fun. Now if this argument “you need to be on Tranquility all the time and undock” from those were are starving themselves of content, I would suggest the ESI of Pyfa and other fitting functions outside of EVE Online TQ simulation itself needs to be disabled in fairness. If you are going to force everyone to TQ experiment fight, there should be no unfair advantages of fitting tools using 3rd client access.

Granted that would be a major issue all together.
But please reconsider everything pertaining to this.
Because one of these days, something extremely broken will be found to have been “ignored” because either players didn’t find it, or those testing it [with access privileges’] decided to pocket that information and not tell there was a bug or problem. Yes its a problem when our player base knows exploits, but if SISI is open public testing we have a chance to find or test things to figure out what happened. If SISI is closed, it is rife for much more extreme exploit abuse.

9 Likes