Skill Queue Issue - Reimbursement Complete!

I think the SP (was very little) went to the wrong character :slight_smile:

Maybe someone else will have a problem with this :stuck_out_tongue:

I got ~16k, ~18k, and ~20k SP back on my 3 toons affectedā€¦ I had assumed the differing amounts was because they were training different skills with different attribute needs (all 3 are mapped 10 PER 4 WIL but one is training a PER-WIL skill, one is training INT-MEM, and one is training MEM-PER or MEM-INT or something like that)ā€¦

But based on the OP, the amount reimbursed had nothing to do with our attribute mapping/attribute of the skill training at the time of the glitched paused queues.

In fact, my amounts suggest that somehow one of my toons paused, then another one paused a certain time later, than the last one paused a similar time later? Thatā€™s quite a weird staggered skillqueue-pausing glitch.

I resumed all 3 of them (within a minute of each other) when I noticed the issue, soā€¦ thereā€™s really no other explanation.

In the past, when giving out SP after unexpected multi-hour server downtimes, theyā€™ve just given out the same fairly generous amount to every active sub at the time. I donā€™t think it was based on 45 per min or any specific training rate.

Obviously, this was a bit different than a server outage. But for anyone who wasnā€™t logged in and playing during it, it was pretty much like an outage. A skillqueue outage. Should have just given out a ā€œrounded upā€ amount to each affected toon. Unless some people were only paused for an hour and others like 20 hours or something.

[quote=ā€œSylvia_Kildare, post:110, topic:7062ā€]In the past, when giving out SP after unexpected multi-hour server downtimes, theyā€™ve just given out the same fairly generous amount to every active sub at the time. I donā€™t think it was based on 45 per min or any specific training rate.
[/quote]Still, if you put it into context they previous chose to not risk short-changing anyone and went with a generous reimbursement so as not to potentially give someone too little, whereas now they are intentionally short-changing with this new ā€œstandardā€.

That they only reimbursed people who were affected instead of a blanket reimbursement is totally fine, seeing as they have the logs showing who was actually affected. The nitpicking of exactly how many minutes someone lost, while arguably petty, is also somewhat forgiveable. But the intentional 40 skillpoints per minute shows that they are willing to knowingly short-change people who trained at maximum speed ā€¦ that is a radical shift in attitude towards reimbursement.

You cannot compare the blanket giveaways for server-related whoopsies of the past with reimbursements for specific skill point losses. Two different things. I think the 40 SP/M standard may have existed for some time, but was specifically related to SP reimbursements on a case by case basis. The blanket giveaways they did for all active accounts were different entirely, although it might have saved them a lot of time and effort with this particular fiasco. But they chose to use a scalpel instead.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œDirk_MacGirk, post:112, topic:7062, full:trueā€]
You cannot compare the blanket giveaways for server-related whoopsies of the past with reimbursements for specific skill point losses. Two different things. I think the 40 SP/M standard may have existed for some time, but was specifically related to SP reimbursements on a case by case basis. The blanket giveaways they did for all active accounts were different entirely, although it might have saved them a lot of time and effort with this particular fiasco. But they chose to use a scalpel instead.
[/quote]But you can. Yes, they are different, but the principle here of whether you give them enough to not risk short-changing or not, is very much comparable.

They chose a scalpel this time, yet didnā€™t reimbursed based on actual training speed, but used a set value. They used a set value last few times they did server-outage reimbursements too, instead of checking how fast people where training.

The difference isnā€™t in the scenarios themselves, or the reasons for reimbursement, but how they go about deciding the skillpoints to be reimbursed. Before, they made sure nobody got short-changed, this time around they ignored that and intentionally let some people get short-changed.

So again, different scenarios, but still comparable.

In the case of server outages or login issues that affected some or all of the playerbase for an extended period, they werenā€™t even checking if anyone actually lost SP. We all received a fixed amount for the disruption, not for actually losing SP (even if some did).

If I am reading it correctly, they approached this as they would a petition for lost SP. Regardless of how you were specā€™d or what implants you were using, it seems 40 SP/M is their standard rate of reimbursement under those scenarios. If that is true, then giving players more than 40 SP/M now would fly in the face of the standard they set in the past. This is where I think some people are getting confused over SP for saying ā€œsorry,ā€ and SP as a specific reimbursement. From what @CCP_Falcon is saying, this is not a new standard. It is the standard for reimbursement. Iā€™m not saying that 40 is the right number.

Now if you have an example you can show where they gave out a different rate per minute, Iā€™d love to see it. Iā€™m not quite sure why I got 50,000 per account one time and 25,000 another in years gone by. But Iā€™m pretty sure that neither added up to 2,610 or 2,700 per hour for whatever it was that happened. They just tossed out some chunks of SP and mollified the masses for the disruption.

sounds like thatā€™s what happened as some people reported their queues got paused multiple times. so it is very possible the script didnā€™t pause it one time, but did on another pass.

The script will not have run as fast as it can, it will have been a deliberately staggered run script in order to spread the load out over several hours.
Otherwise while it was running it would have lagged everyone in game.

Then maybe they should just remove the attribute system entirely as has been hinted about in the past year or two and set the standard training rate to 40 SP/min (or 45 or whatever) for every omega all the time, periodā€¦

And never have this issue again. :wink:

Ah, interesting. well, I noticed all three of mine were paused at the same time and unpaused 'em myself and didnā€™t have any further issues. Wild stuff. May we not have to deal with this again any time soon.

Damnit, ghost training. Look what you did.

Thanks, I did a spot-check yesterday and found that, for me, the matter had been resolved.

Iā€™m grateful, but bound to say that CCP should stop putting its employees in the firing line quite so consistently. Iā€™m not criticising people directly, just by implication. In any company there is someone who signs off an instruction. The buck stops with that person.

I noted the little pop-up which appeared to my right as I began to type this response, imploring me not to criticise people, but rather ideas. This just in - Ideas are generated by people. The idea ā€˜reimburse players for skill points lostā€™ was a good one, but you canā€™t expect me (and others) to leave it at that, when the implementation of the idea was so poor.

In the UK, it is the job of the politicians to devise policy; Civil Servants are employed to implement the policy - impartially. Iā€™m sure something similar happens in most developed countries. If something goes horribly wrong (Poll Tax, et al), it isnā€™t the Civil Servants who are to blame, but the politicians.

So, rather than lay this most recent fiasco at the door of ā€˜peopleā€™, Iā€™ll lay it where it belongs, squarely at the feet of CCP - an entity (comprised of people). Hope that successfully skirts the rule.

I got my 1400 skillpoints! :smile:

CRISIS AVERTED

2 Likes

I didnā€™t even notice my training queue was paused. Got free SP nonetheless. Thanks CCP :grin:

1 Like

So ā€¦ what do I do finding out that some reimbursements did take place, but on characters other than the ones training (at the time and current) on affected accounts ā€¦

Accept that you were training an alt on the account, rather than a main, and find something for the high SP character to use it on? Thatā€™s my guess based on previous refunds like this.

Thatā€™s just weird. The alt wasnā€™t training ā€¦

Donā€™t use the skillpoints, submit a support ticket and hope the logs show something.

[quote=ā€œSIEGE_RED, post:124, topic:7062, full:trueā€]
Thatā€™s just weird. The alt wasnā€™t training ā€¦
[/quote]The SP goes to the highest SP character on the account, regardless of which was training at the time.