Skin Bonuses

Um what free? I pay my monthly dues.
What i don’t think is fair is people paying $$$ to have an advantage over others.

If you knew anything about ‘Greed is Good’ you would understand why pay-to-win is bad for the game.

1 Like

Go back to playing Black Desert Online. Skins giving bonuses in EVE is dumb and falls directly into pay to win features.

We dont need more cows in EVE. We need content.

1 Like

They have skins with bonuses there too? :no_mouth:

Don’t you pay-to-win simply by having a subscription to Eve Online?

If you are going to throw the pay-to-win up in the air then how do you explain Eve Online’s pay-to-vote-to-win mechanic?

Skin Bonuses are geared towards Alpha Clones who do not pay a subscription but might be able to afford purchasing a skin with a bonus. You would receive a limited amount of skins that would have use by date much like the Accelerators.

…and the tears of the Omega Clones filled the buckets of New Eden with a fluid that would give new life to the game.

Here’s my 2 cents… The current system for SKINs would have no effect on the stats for the ship, and here’s why.

There are no physical alterations happening to the ship. When you purchase and activate a SKIN, what you’re doing is purchasing a paint scheme program and activating the DRM that allows you to enable that scheme. Then you’re programming that scheme into what is essentially a holographic hull plating, and it changes color as programmed.

Now, the real difference. The times when you should gain stat modifiers. Has already been covered in game. You could purchase an Omen. Or an Omen Navy Issue. Or a Zealot. And each of these will have different stats. They’re the same basic hull design, but each one has been altered in some significant way internally in order to serve a better purpose.

That’s where your “Skin Bonuses” come from. Not by changing the paint job. But by changing some of the internal systems. And that’s already reflected in game by way of having Variants on each hull design.

Now… if I had my way, they would make the SKINs less specific. Rather than needing to buy a SKIN for the Omen, and ONI, and Zealot… you should be able to buy one SKIN that covers the entire line of Omen hulls. That way if you like the look, but you want the variety of ship uses, you can keep the look between them.

1 Like

You refer to the CSM voting system?
That sounds like a completly different topic to me.

And Omega clones can not use them? Could you elaborate this idea a bit more, I’m interested.
Because the “Tier I” skin mentioned in the starting post would be very strong on any decent tanked capital.

The skins would be temporary much like an accelerator. The lower Tier skins would last up to 60 days while the Tier V skins would last 30 days or until the ship was destroyed.

Omega and Alpha skin bonuses would vary with Omega costing more while having a slight bonus over the Alpha skins.

The skins actually change the hull dynamics when applied. Its basically like placing a leather greave over your leg compared to a banded leather and mail greave. Underneath your leg or ship is the same but the exterior has changed exponentially.

SKINs do not change the “hull dynamics” at all. All they do is cosmetically change the paint scheme.

If they changed the hull, you could make a Moa look like a Gila with a single mouse click. You could make a CovOps Legion look like a HAM Legion. Those are hull changes. Making a green ship into a blue ship is not a hull change.

SKINs (Super Kerr -Induced Nanocoatings.

I didn’t say change the configuration of the ship, did I.

Nano coating where the Nano’s can be reconfigured in such a manner to affect the hull dynamics.

SiO2 is a main component in glass. With a special formula SiO2 nano molecules in Car Body Nano Coating Solutions will form a nano thin layer outside of the car paint. With 5H hardness and flexibility the nano film will protect your car paint up to 5 years.

The skins actually change the hull dynamics when applied. Its basically like placing a leather greave over your leg compared to a banded leather and mail greave. Underneath your leg or ship is the same but the exterior has changed exponentially.

No Dryson, just freaking no…

Most skins come from the NES…
NES reqs plex…
Plex reqs cash or lots of grinding…

Pay to win…
This is not WoW, stop already…your OP is pure garbage.

3 Likes

It’s only garbage because you feel belittled by it just like any other post that you have not started yourself.

Skins that give bonuses especially to Rookie pilots would balance the constant attacks that they face from gankers and griefers in High Sec who can’t hang in Null let alone Low.

Consider narrowing the focus to structures rather than ships. It would be fewer albeit more meaningful categories to balance. Structure SKINs are already classified as ‘Volatile’ from the starting gate (i.e. removed when the structure dies).

SKIN enhancement upgrade are visual and work well on a large entity such as structures to telegraph capability to pilots.

Meaningful categories that could be altered:
-Structure Lock Speed
-Tether Range
-Hacking mini-game difficulty for determine reinforcement timers
-Capacitor strength
-PG/CPU
-Structure Resistances
-Fuel consumption
-Dscan Immunity on/off

The point you answered was that skin bonuses would be P2W. Except your answer had absolutely nothing to do with the original implication.

Instead, directly answer the implication with a refutation, if you can. Would skins not be P2W?

I agree with @Max_Deveron; skin bonuses are P2W. They’re bonuses you can put on your ship that you buy from the NES. That is the literal definition of P2W.

GTFO.

2 Likes

If you didn’t pay-to-play in the first place then you would never have a ship to use to win your PvP matches with.

Therefore the argument about the skins being Pay-to-Win is irrelevant. How much ISK do you spend on AUR buying the really good modules that are too boring to mine the ISK for?

How many ganks do you conduct on a monthly basis forcing others to pay for your accounts and your own Pay-to-win scheme?

Oh my damn, then how did I even manage to have any solo kills at all??

Pay to play and pay to win are two different things. Pay to play keeps the server up. Pay to win lets you rule the server.

Damn it, did I slip back into 2016 again? Are we still using Aurum in the NeX store? And did someone forget to tell me that you could purchase Modules from there, cus I thought it only sold SKINs and clothing…

Yes, in a roundabout fashion, you are correct. Using cash, to purchase PLEX, which you sell for ISK, that you use to buy stuff… could be seen as “Pay 2 Win”. And where some might argue that you still need the skills to use those ships and modules… You can use some of that ISK to buy Skill Injectors and boost yourself up to the SP level of a veteran player.

But those modules and those skill injectors that you bought off the market, all came from other players. You bought modules that someone out there crafted. You bought SP that someone out there extracted. You were directly involved with the game environment when you made those purchases.

The biggest factor in calling something “Pay 2 Win” is when you turn cash into an immediate advantage. Pay money, get bonuses. And that’s what having bonuses on SKINs purchased from the NES would do. You turn cash into PLEX (which is just cash currency) and immediately buy your bonused SKIN. There is no descent into the in-game economy. There is no exchange between other players on the Market. You’re just giving CCP cash, and getting bonuses for it. Your money directly translates into an advantage.

Pay to play is not pay to win. I have no idea how you can draw similarities between the two. It almost doesn’t even need to be said, but pay to win is when you spend money on an advantage that you cannot reasonably get otherwise.

The number of ships I kill has absolutely nothing to do with pay to win, because I don’t buy bonuses from the store. I buy game time. It is skill, friendships, and luck that allow me to win. Other times, they’re against me and I lose.

No.

Taking the quick path to high SP, buying the blingy ships, it means nothing. A vet can take your officer rattlesnake in a frigate.

I knew a guy who was a credit card warrior. Bought plex and sold for isk, used the isk to buy a 130m sp pilot, bought more plex and sold for isk to bling-fit his carrier, and his fax.

Lo and behold, a gang of 5 Moas killed him. They didn’t even have any logi. Normally we’d take a moment to reflect on our loss, but no, his bling fit carrier was expensive. He decided to go and loot the wreck… in his fax. Guess what those Moas killed next?

Money doesn’t give you advantages in Eve. Experience, skill, and friends will ALWAYS win. You can’t buy that for any amount of money.