So, greif bumping is 100% allowed by gm's?

If the sole purpose is to cause them grief without any other gain then of course that’s griefing. By definition!

There really needs to be a timer where Gankers have to “use it or lose it”. 15 minutes or something to round up the cats / nados / purifiers or whatever.

Just stopping someone playing for the sake of it is definitely ‘griefing’.

6 Likes

The problem is that the mechanic is used for more than grieving. Titans have been bumped for more than 15 minutes until HICs and DICs can arrive to bumble it. People have bumped for ransom too. In both cases, it may be considered grieving by the receiver but it is legitimate game play for others. CCP tends to side with legitimate game play.

5 Likes

No, the definition of griefing is very narrow in this game and that isn’t it.

Or you could…you know…not be foolish and imprudent. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Infinite bumping is some of that AFK gameplay the gankers are trying to “save” us from: take a 500MN stabber (or just a mach), line up with the freighter, click approach, go AFK. Freighter can’t do anything. Irony much?

To get out of it, hit escape and choose safe logoff.

1 Like

And when you get shot by a guy in a rookie ship…?

Unless they’re targeting you specifically for non-warfare reasons, it’s legal. Just be happy you’re getting bumped near a station.

I once ninja salvaged a dominix piloy with no propulsion mod. I kept him from reaching the next acceleration gate for an hour and a half until he left. I giggled like a schoolgirl that day.

RIP ninja salvaging.

1 Like

Then you’ve got a minimum of 15 minutes of unavoidable*, unengaging gameplay ahead of you.

*unless you’ve got an alt with a ship to do something about it, which should never be a the path of least resistance.

2 Likes

Thank you the two of you for answering me.

Honestly I dont see it as a grief issue. I see it as an “interesting” use in game mechanics. If a freighter or slow aligning pilot is smart he would use bookmarks and other celestials to get away.

I am no noob but I am no vet, and even I learned quickly that other celestial targets are perfect for quick escapes.

You’re playing an MMO. You’ve spent months training just to get in to the hull of the largest transport ship in the game, you’ve spent literally billions of ISK to secure the skills, the hull, fitting and of course, the cargo. Despite the high degree of safety to be found in HiSec and the dozens of uneventful solo flights before this one, you’ve come to the attention of a bumper and potentially a gank fleet.

You still don’t think this objective deserves a little bit of cooperative play?

MMOs aren’t your thing, are they?

1 Like

Of course they are. That’s why, instead of undocking a freighter and warping from gate to gate on its way to my destination, I undock a jump freighter and jump from citadel to citadel on the way to my destination because that’s so much less hassle.

Or I just don’t fly anything that big because it’s more trouble than it’s worth. Oh, and billions aren’t what they once were.

1 Like

One of the reasons I dislike JFs. They’re an “ultimate solution” to the logistics conundrum. They offer fast, mass transport and near completely safety in almost any area of space in addition to having such low fleet requirements as to be easily solo-flown with the help of an alt.

They’ll keep shooting you in a rookie ship until the gank fleet gets there, then gank you. Recall, you said this is something gankers do…they will eventually gank you.

No, @Hiasa_Kite was correct. You have opted for the solution that lets you play essentially solo.

Did they specifically say, “Im doing this to grief you?” It’s a game mechanic that is allowed. If I wanted to I guess I could say that someone undercutting me in the market was grieving me. Why not stop there? The person mines all the asteroids in a belt is grieving too. Yeah!

2 Likes

Can’t safe log off if you’re being targeted.

If they think it’s worth it.

They don’t have to be a ganker to bump you forever. Oddly enough, I don’t think this topic was about ganking. When there are 99% of topics about freighters in hisec read “my freighter got ganked grr”, you miss the other 1%.

Correct. Because of the way the game is designed right now, that’s the path of least resistance, which EVE players are notoriously good at finding.

The mechanics around hauling have been distilled down to this choice: use alts to do move everything now, sit around and wait for someone I trust with my stuff to log in later, or contract the job out and wait a while for the cargo to show up at its destination.

1 Like

Just create your own cheap bumper ship and punt them off the station a few times
Anything cruiser sized that can fit an oversized MWD.
Snowballs for kicks of course…

[Maller, MWD test]

Reinforced Bulkheads II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II
Inertial Stabilizers II
Inertial Stabilizers II
Inertial Stabilizers II
Damage Control II

500MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
10MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Medium Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Cap Booster 800

Display Launcher, Snowball CXIV
Display Launcher, Snowball CXIV

Medium Transverse Bulkhead I

3 Likes

Can you actually bump the bumper in an effective enough way that the initial target can get away? That would be a neat counter-play. Might even make some isk in hubs rescuing freighters…

1 Like

No you aren’t going to be effective at bumping or counter-bumping with that. The honest truth is that unless you know what you’re doing (most of the people here don’t) you aren’t going to be effective at much of anything by trying to counter-bump or bump the bumper.

1 Like

Maybe.

But at least you are doing something other than playing the patsy.
And you will learn something of the bumping mechanics and methods in the process.

Win-win I’d say…

1 Like