So, greif bumping is 100% allowed by gm's?

You’re welcome LouHodo.

Interestingly a recent change means you warp in 3 minutes even if you are bumped, unless a warp disruption module is used upon you to actually shut off your warp drive. This means that while this station bumping thing can be avoided with bookmarks, in space it is also now a fair bit more complicated to keep someone bumped. By keeping your cargo value within reason this becomes a non-issue.

1 Like

You could certainly try, but it probably wouldn’t work.

A more effective strategy would be to try webbing the bumper, but you will get CONCORDed if you do this. Or you could try ganking the bumping ship, they are not terribly tanky and you might recover enough in loot to pay for your ship losses. Problem is your typical HS denizen won’t want to get CONCORDed. There is a definite asymmetry here. Once people in HS stop being so afraid of losing a 10 million ISK ship then things might change, but since for most HS players that is never going to happen the Ganking will continue as will the bumping.

Which is why we always see threads like this and the ones that involve an actual gank ending up with the HS dwellers moaning about how CCP should do something. Never mind that CCP has done things several times like shortening CONCORD response times. Buffing CONCORD. They even gave people the option to tank their freighters, but most actually anti-tank their freighters. They do not use a scout. They do not even use standings and local to scan for potential hostiles. They just walk into the gank all fat and stupid, then come and cry here on the forums.

4 Likes

to be honest, the most effective answer to bumping mechanic is to express your dissatisfation by spending your money eslewhere. Stop logging and find yourself an other game.

Please, keep in mind that Eve isnt really “design” to satisfy costumers. The dev team is briging the game where they want… not to pleased the crowd.

Overtime, message will be heard.

Sadly, not much can be done in a way it pleased you.

1 Like

This is probably the biggest and simplest thing one can do to reduce the risk of ganking. Ganking is usually done for profit. Reduce your cargo value you reduce their profit margin.

1 Like

EVE is designed for players who want a sandbox, not a game where you are protected from your own foolishness and imprudence.

3 Likes

You seem to be forgetting about Concord which means your Rookie ship will be blown away the second they open fire.

That’s not “grieving”, you spanner, that’s how we compete in this game - by killing, scamming, out bidding etc.

I’m fine with bumping if there’s gameplay to it, such as a gank, but if it’s just done to piss someone off, then it’s griefing.

There ought to be a use it or lose it mechanic, this game can be slow enough already. We want to attract players, not piss them off without someone else gaining.

2 Likes

Shooting the gank target with any ship when he logs off is intended to give him a 15-minute timer where his ship stays in space even after he logs off.

Doesn’t matter if concord blows up my Ibis. The dude sealed his fate by making himself easier to gank in a few ways.

Yeah, only if the player logs off after being attacked. If he logs off before being attack, he only gets the regular disconnect timer

I know this. The point I was trying to make is that the vocal majority seem to think that if something happens to them in this sandbox game that they don’t like, then they must have been the victim of griefing.

Bumping freighters is fun and can be a little challenging if you have “anti-gankers” trying to save the freighter. It feels good when you keep a freighter bumped when 2 ag are in Machariels trying to counter-bump you, but only manage to suck at bumping.

You don’t even want to know how long I’ve bumped a freighter that was at the keyboard and actively trying to get away… You would probably cry. The counter play and preventative measures exist and are in place that actually make bumping reasonably balanced. It’s just a matter of getting the lazy and uninformed players to utilize them.

What are you considering to be a “regular” timer?

The mechanic works exactly like this: It doesn’t matter if you log off before or after you are shot at by someone in a throwaway ship intended to give you said timer. Your ship will stay in space for 15 minutes at which point the timer will be refreshed by another throwaway ship in order to extend it and keep you in space while logged off.

If you log off without a timer your ship doesn’t instantly disappear or ewarp. There’s a specific amount of time that the gankers have to get a throwaway to you and give you a timer.

If the client disconnects without any Log-Off Timer’s active, the ship automatically tries to do an emergency warp to a random location 1 million km away, sits for 1 minute and then despawns from the game.

If the Capsuleer Log-Off Timer is active when the client disconnects, the ship will try to do an emergency warp to a random location 1 million km away, sits for 15 minutes and then despawns from the game.

The Capsuleer Log-Off Timer is activated if the ship is shot before the client disconnects. And since your throwaway ship is only bumping it to keep the ship from warping, you won’t know the client has actually disconnected until the ship despawns.

Now if you shoot it before it disconnects, which you won’t know has happened, Concord still explodes your arse and the ship warps off to a random spot where it sits for 15 mins. If the client re-connects back with the server, the ship can then warp away and dock up despite the 15 min timer.

1 Like

Yes you are right. My point is that you still have ample time to undock your throwaway tagging alt, warp it to the freighter, then tag it. The freighter will still eventually ewarp off, but will sit in space where you can combat probe it down and gank it.

Yes again you right. The ship will remain in space while it has a timer, which will most likely be refreshed and extended before the 15-minutes is up, keeping it logged off and in space.

No you can give the ship a timer that prevents the ship from disappearing from space after the pilot logs off. It’s done all the time. Methods to know when the target logs off / on: watch local and send convo requests. Also, the bump ship isn’t going to be suicide get into the freighter to give it a timer.

Why do you assume that I won’t know when the pilot logs off? Funny thing about reconnecting when your ship has sat in its dead space ewarp with a bumper on it… Upon logging back in your ship will force you to warp back to the original location where you logged off at. This warp is UNABLE to be cancelled and you can be bumped indefinitely. If you log off from that state your ship will go through the same ewarp process where it will sit in space at another ewarp dead space spot while it has a timer.

Did you know that the way your ship ewarps is different depending on the state of your ship upon logging off?

Did you know that there are different lengths of time that a ganker has to give you a timer after you’ve logged off?

1 Like

Heh, now you’re really stretching it, especially since the initial scenario was just about being bumped indefinitely.

Knowing the client has disconnected by checking local? Yeah right, something you do all the time huh? Even when it has 100 or more players in it? Continuously sending convo requests? Yeah, ok. Especially when that could be set to decline automatically?

Considering the fact that you don’t know when or if the client disconnects or reconnects and since your throwaway bumping ship has been destroyed by Concord due to shooting in order to get a 15 min combat timer, it doesn’t matter if the ship warps back to it’s original location or not.

Anyway, I’m tired of this exchange, go ahead and keep changing the parameters of the original scenario in an attempt to prove yourself correct.

1 Like

The criminal timer neatly coincides with the PvP no-safe-logoff timer. I think. Aren’t they both 15 minutes?

I don’t think he was talking about using the bumping ship to get the timer. That would be counterproductive, because then the target could just warp off and dock. He was talking about two alts with a rookie ship. I think. It would be pretty hard to use one because it would have to be able to undock and get back to the freighter within 15 seconds.

But… doing that a really long time without a ransom demand or a proper gank attempt would raise some GM’s eyebrows.

… come to think of it, you could hyperdunk someone (edit: in a Providence, maybe) that way with two alts and a lot of conventional gank ships. It would just take a really long time.

I am responding directly to you as you explained incorrectly how logoff mechanics work.

Yes…? Watch local. It’s not hard, really. Click on their name so it’s easily visible, then look for their name to go away. Even if convo requests are set to auto-decline, you will get a different message if they are offline, informing you that they logged.

You obviously have 0 experience in this. Anyone that is bumping for a gank fleet should and will likely be using a Machariel. I can’t think of any serious group of players that don’t use a Machariel to bump. Now listen closely… you don’t shoot the target with the bumping ship! Want to know why? Because it would be a huge waste of isk, and if that was your only bumper, it is likely going to result in a failed gank if you aren’t ready to probe him down and gank immediately. Everyone… and I mean everyone that tags freighters to keep them in space does so with a ■■■■ alt in a throwaway ship like an Ibis. Goonswarm uses Blackbirds.

Factoid: Did you know that the Goonswarm uses their 14m Blackbirds for multiple purposes?

• It can ship / cargo scan with a passive targeter
  • It can probe down logged off freighters
  • It can be suicided into the freighter with an autocannon to give him a timer
  • It can suicide into the freighter with a smartbomb in the event that the freighter becomes untargetable… this is a bug associated with desyncing and the only way to give it a timer is with an aoe attack.

I’m not changing the parameters. I am simply correcting misinformation.

That is wrong and there’s more wrong information you posted after it. I’m not trying to be hostile… just saying that while I don’t have a perfect grasp of all mechanics, I have personal experience using these. Me explaining all this is useless anyway because it doesn’t matter how many golden nuggets of information anyone could give these people, it will never be enough and ganking will always be unfair and imbalanced in their eyes.

Sometimes you just can’t help the helpless. Just let them die and laugh.

7 Likes

Didnt ccp introduce a 3 min timer, lats year, to enter warp regardless of anything?
Or were they just talking about it… :stuck_out_tongue:

No. The idea was brought up, but nothing came of it. That said I do think CCP does wish to nerf bumping as their official stance on bumping has changed. There’s been no public declaration as to how it’s changed, but only that it has changed. I imagine that there’s some legacy code issue that is preventing them from changing it.

https://forums-archive.eveonline.com/message/2535377/#post2535377

If CCP does change it I imagine the meta will shift towards two different styles of ganking depending on what the changes consist of:

• 100% ganking on gates
  • Your fleet will have to be active and ready to gank. No more rage forming via pings on jabber, slack, and/or IRC.
2 Likes

Wow, unbelievable, you still continue to twist the initial issue around, add in all kinds of extra crap in an attempt to prove me wrong and prove yourself right.

The OP stated there was only one ship contiguously bumping, that was it, no double tag team, no gank squad shooting it, etc…

Since there was no Log-Off Timer active, all the OP had to do was disconnect, his ship would try to warp away which it was already trying to do anyway but due to being constantly bumped, it wouldn’t and within a minute later after being disconnected, it would just despawn.

That’s it, there are no other variables affecting that scenario.

1 Like

You are a remarkably hardheaded individual! How does the OP know if the bumper doesn’t have a suicide alt ready to give him a timer the second he logs off? He could be at an off-grid perch ready to warp to the bump ship and give the target a timer within seconds. Heck, you have enough time to log one in and do it.

You are advising the OP to put himself in a position where he makes it a TON easier to get ganked. Not only does it isolate you in a deadspace, but your ship no longer gets bonuses from your pilots skills as it normally would when you’re logged on and piloting it. Then upon logging back in you will be bumped indefinitely while stuck in a warp you can’t cancel.

I understand that not every bumper has a gank fleet behind it, but I don’t think it’s worth the risk… depending on how much value you have.

You should stick to running missions and repairing your faction standing. I know you’re good at those… this not so much.

5 Likes