So, where IS our war?

I wrote this almost three years ago:

It’s been almost ten years since Malaetu Shakor stepped into office as the Republic’s prime minister (later ‘Sanmatar’).

While more patient minds cautioned against it, many clans supported him, because he made them promises of new glory, of a full-out war at last, the final throwing off our shackles. At his inaugural speech, he seemed confirm their hopes: “Sons and daughters of Matar, make no mistake about it. [—] Let it be known from this day forth that we are a race of warriors, not slaves, and that we will fight to the last drop of blood for what we hold dear.”

Almost a decade. Not slaves but warriors.

And what do we have to show for it?

Oh, we have fought the Militia wars. We have even won it, for a short while, and some of us have metal to show for it. But where was the push on from that victory? The Empire was in turmoil, we held the field, slaves were returning and turning into warriors, and then what? The next step is causing a controversy with his choice of companion and attire?

I am sure our sisters and brothers still in the darkness rejoiced and complimented his bravery.

Where is our war , Sanmatar Shakor?

Since then, there have been three years more of the militia wars, of constant attrition on the warzone. Atrocities in the Kingdom have been met with trade sanctions. Major Rebellions in Thebeka and Alkabsi got close to no support, and neither were they used as an opportunity for pushing it elsewhere.

Now Sarum prowls in Floseswin and while forces under Command’s General Filmir fight valiantly on the ground and capsuleer forces fight persistently in space, we see no push whatsoever from the government or the Fleet. Not even enough to match that of Sarum’s - let alone to seize the opportunity and form a counter-attack.

I was, once, a proponent of Midular’s ‘appeasement’. Trust me, I understand diplomacy. I understand plausible deniability. I understand “the art of saying nice dog until you find a bigger stick”. I would have preferred to just build until we are strong enough for the final push, maybe even strong enough that that final push is not needed, because we can negotiate for what we want. For the small gains that would bring us the final victory, I was willing to sacrifice a lot.

But taking small steps back to delay an inevitable loss does not serve the same purpose. We cannot just drop sanctions we put up against atrocities if all it buys us is the status quo before Sarum razed Floseswin. We cannot just give in to buy back 150,000 hostages, if all it gets us is an Amarr promise not to take them again. Fleet cannot just decline to use the superiority in space we have, when Amarr forces do not have any issues using theirs. If we cave in a little every time the Empire makes a move, if we keep on pouring resources to the pendulum wars without utilizing the openings it gives us, that is not strategy. That is complacence, negligence, cowardice.

And what it will lead to, again, is terrorists and warlords taking matters into their own hands. Loss of life, loss of unity; for nothing.

Where is your war, Sanmatar Shakor?

8 Likes

Considering the history of Imperial Navy raiding in Republic territory, I don’t see how we could ever even believe that promise. It would be broken on that very same day.

4 Likes

cap

I’m sure he’ll get around to it.

■■■■, does anyone around here actually think that the Republic would sign a CEWMPA treaty that left taking slaves in the warzone on a handshake? And even if they’d done something that dumb, that they’d admit it and validate the whole damn thing? They just signed off on the whole business.

Kador’s still doing diplo with the Fed, the Mandate’s still talking to the folks in Molden Heath, and the Inner Circle’s figuring out how to pay Sarum back for taking care of this because nobody, nobody, was going to stand for capsuleers calling shots in the warzone. A hundred fifty thousand warzone citizens and some sanctions are worth paying to make sure we know who makes the rules.

So what’s the issue for Shakor? He gets the internal dissenters locked up, he gets the jagoff meatheads in the TLF on the same page and out using the warzone for what it’s for, and he gets to name his price for fixing the treaty situation while Sarum takes the political heat. This couldn’t be working out better for him. What’s it gonna cost him? Some of the MinMil capsuleers are gonna be a moody for a while? Please.

6 Likes

Grief and spirits, Elsebeth. And you call me naive.

Why ever would Shakor bother to declare a war? He’s already got capsuleers doing the fight for him. You must be aware that this is all a song and dance, and that the Empire’s cronies, and the State and Federation too, are in on it as well.

The militia fights the battles. Every now and then, someone on one side or another gets froggy. This time it was Sarum. Shakor and his little puppets Berialsh and Efrit break out the drums of war, make some real strong-sounding statements, get the blood pumping and the war tattoos flashing, and the clans sing for strife and destruction and coming for our people. The other empires make all the requisite motions of mediation, and everything dies down, pulling back to the comfortable medium of status quo. Political jobs are safe. Nothing changes.

This cycle, or near enough, has happened I think three times since I became a capsuleer (a little over a year ago). And how many times before that?

Shakor is a politician above all else. There was a time when he was a warrior and hero for our people, but now he’s a deskchair warmer, just like everyone else on their empire high horses. We may talk about wars and elections and change, but in the end, everyone’s pretty happy where they are, and on occasion they throw us capsuleers, and the people who look up at us, a bone to keep us moving. But everything will always give in to the inexorable slog of status quo. Always.

You and I may come at this issue from opposite sides, but surely you can see why this slog happens. Until the Powers That Be decide that a different scenario will be a better status quo for them, things will stay just as they are.

Also, ■■■■ when I have to agree with ■■■■■■■ Roman Joringer.

1 Like

And how is calling them out on it naive? Would it somehow be better to remain quiet while we all die a slow death?

That said, I think it is a mistake to think about the current situation a never-changing “status quo”. The Militia wars and Shakor’s reign are barely a decade old, and Sarum’s latest provocation results from a major change in the Empire’s policy only last year. In a mutual war off attrition, the smaller side loses. I’d be all for going baok to status quo but this is not it. Things are moving - just to a bad direction.

1 Like

Sarum’s latest provocation, and the Republic’s validation of it, is a direct result of a bunch of capsuleers in the 24IC and the TLF trying to set ■■■■■■■ political policy. The only things that the Pax e Kilizhi Do did was give shits like LUMEN the chance to tell Sarum to go to Hel rather than be ordered around, then give the Empress political coverage in case it really does all go south. Which is, and was, always the whole goddamn point. ■■■■’s sake, Sarum’s just a big cover for the agreed will of the Empire and Republic that they can hold out at arm’s length.

■■■■, if you didn’t learn a ■■■■■■■ thing from the Blood Raider raid on Sundele, it should be what an actual ■■■■■■■ slave raid looks like. You figure the TLF wasn’t involved when Sarum’s got his seneschal dropping advance ■■■■■■■ notice? Then holding until someone paid Seykal to give them an excuse? Then when the TLF and Republic themselves tell the dumbest and most blatant ■■■■■■■ lie I’ve ever heard uttered by someone in any empire’s government (and yeah, I get Fed election news)? Then seeing those ‘slaves’ not actually being thrown into slavery, but held in their own little safe space?

Yinz guys aren’t in a war, you’re a political statement to UK and whatever’s left of DnG and all that. “You don’t make the rules, we make the rules.” And ■■■■ if they didn’t do just that.

1 Like

That gave Sarum the opening, sure.

But had it not been given, they’d have taken some other one.

What capsuleers do or don’t is the excuse. Not the reason.

Oh, for ■■■■’s sakes…

Like I just ■■■■■■■ said, Sarum wasn’t attacking, he’s on a ■■■■■■■ errand, and he still hasn’t made the people he took slaves. And even if he wanted to do that, he wouldn’t have picked now when the warzone had this treaty ■■■■■■■■ going on. Nor would he have announced it in a capsuleer message board. Nor would he have started with, of all places, ■■■■■■■ Floseswin. This whole thing’s a ■■■■■■■ dog whistle because he knew his own people couldn’t break this ■■■■ with the whole treaty mag on board.

How the ■■■■ does anyone look at this and says, “obvs sarum wants slaves lol”? That’s the dumbest goddamn idea I’ve ever heard. This is 100% about the authority of the TLF and the 24IC being challenged in the warzone and the way they do business being disrupted. ■■■■, you already did the ■■■■■■■ work, they’re just running up the score while they figure out how to make this whole warzone thing work on their end again.

So yeah, when we’re telling empires how ■■■■’s gonna get done in their ■■■■■■■ space, aping their ■■■■■■■ treaty with ours, and ■■■■■■■ up their conveyer belt of murderous asshats to the middle of nowhere? Better ■■■■■■■ believe we get to be a reason real quick. So the next time you’re wondering how in the name of ■■■■■■■ anything the Republic could ever consider dropping sanctions after all this, just know you always gotta pay your debts. Ain’t nobody but Sarum was going to be able to drag all yinz asses into the warzone to break this up, because they’re the only ones that give yinz a reason to ■■■■■■■ be anywhere. The Republic don’t come like Amarr when their owners whistle but they know the sound of food in the bowl.

Calm down, dude.

I said “Sarum’s provocation” on purpose.

I’m just saying, there’s only one way this all makes any ■■■■■■■ sense, and it’s because Sarum’s cooking dinner, not doing the taxes at the table.

Sarums attack on Floseswin was coordinated with the TLF and the 24IC as a reaction to the Factional Warfare Treaty?

Man that gave me a belly laugh! keep em coming

He’s always like this. Swearing is his mother tongue.

That being said, he is, again, 100% correct. This would have happened with or without the Peace of Two Swords*. Whenever the militias wound up being called out on their BS, whether by Arsia Elkin or someone else, Sarum would have jumped to “Reclaiming”. He would have because Sarums gotta Sarum. If Catiz hadn’t written the Peace of Two Swords, he would have found some other excuse.

It’s just as naive as working toward peace, because no matter what either of us does, change won’t come about through any government. It’ll come about because the people want it. You’re addressing your concerns to the wrong body.

And yet in your first post you made a decade sound like an everlastingly long time.

That bad direction being the status quo.

But I suppose we can agree to disagree.

*I don’t care enough to remember how to spell that tbh.

Leave the wonderful Ret Gloriaxx out of this.

Talk that ■■■■, it brought EM in to make liars out of yinz and y’all and blew up your treaty, then it didn’t do a whole lot else besides turn the handle on that meat grinder.

The ■■■■ else do you think that they announced it on a ■■■■■■■ capsuleer forum post here first? Slavers don’t do that ■■■■, they hit areas of ■■■■■■■ weakness unannounced, smash and grab, then get the ■■■■ out and sell the people soon as they ■■■■■■■ can. Because, you know, that’s how it makes some kind of ■■■■■■■ sense. And yinz guys got a good ■■■■■■■ box seat look at a slave ride on ■■■■■■■ Matar of all places.

Only one reason you run a ‘slave raid’ that gets announced in the capsuleer version of the local paper, kicked off by the regular enemy-for-hire, targets a place with more defense than the slaves are worth that just so happens to be central to the treaty yinz put together, and ends up selling no actual ■■■■■■■ slaves. For ■■■■’s sake, Sarum’s holdings alone are gonna birth a hundred thousand slaves this week, most likely. Don’t know why yinz guys want to believe some nonsense ■■■■ when the perfectly logical answer ain’t that hard to follow.

1 Like

Wait what?

1 Like

You know, this ■■■■.

1 Like

You are under the impression that EM somehow made U’K to cede from the treaty?

You figure PIE was going to do it? If that was good enough, this whole Floseswin business wouldn’t have ever ■■■■■■■ happened, he’d have just sent in the cavalry. But PIE caught Hell fighting their own to make it happen.

Yinz didn’t. That’s why yinz needed to be there.

1 Like

Now you completely lost me.

I see the filter is getting quite the workout.

11 Likes