Solo miners, are you making a loss when you factor in electricity usage?

Yeah, I wonder about that. It seems to me that sitting in one place all day, scanning ships and waiting for a ship you can actually defeat, would be really boring. At least a miner sits there producing something, then sells it (or uses it to produce something else), then goes out and produces some more. But…to each his own. The game is a sandbox that has room for every playing style.

is patience a skill?

I agree with ‘to each his own’. It’s just the irony of one group of people who sit around all day doing little, calling out another group who sit around all day doing little. Gankers see themselves as heroes for engaging in what probably amounts to less button pressing and paying attention than the miners they deride :slight_smile:

1 Like

you really like taking two different things and making them sound the same.

A ganker sitting at a gate has to quickly scan the target, determine if its worth the gank. lock it up, scram it and blow it up in situations where ships could have align times of 2-3 seconds. And they succeed.

Miners sitting at belts mining can see someone come into local. can see the person arriving on grid a full 10 seconds later. and still cant mange to hit “warp” in that time.

its hardly comparable.

And everybody else sees them as the epitome of risk free carebear ‘PVP’.

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

1 Like

Nah…I’ve watched videos of solo gankers in action. For example the guy who only targets corvettes and makes 50 minute videos. Sure he has to desperately click on lock for a few seconds now and then…but, he can go off and make a coffee, answer the phone, get distracted, and he’s fine.

The miner has to pay attention every second, not just for gankers but the size of many asteroids means continually having to re-lock on new ones, and one can also waste a lot of time by not re-cycling as the ore hold is almost full. The miner can’t go off and make a coffee…or he’ll arrive back and find his ship gone.

As for ‘seeing people in local’…I see gankers in local all the time ( as I have the ganker groups set to bad standing ). I even have people sometimes mining nearby in Catalysts ( yep…some appear to mine using a Catalyst ) so I’m not gonna run off every time I see a Catalyst. You have this crazy notion that I’m supposed to be triggered by the tiniest little thing and run off. If miners did that…there’d never be any mining done !

As for clicking things…the miner has to hit d-scan often and determine what may be a threat. You’d be surprised how busy an activity mining actually is.

i know how mining works. I’m mining as i type this :slight_smile:

So my question is this.

Since you assert that a miner has to pay attention every second (and is actively doing so) do we see so many complaints about gankers busting mining ships when from a threat appearing in local to arriving on grid can take 10 seconds. Why do so many fail to be able to warp away in time?

If a miner is doing what you are describing here then no mining ships should ever be ganked. they would be away. safe.

But gankers who have to be poised at the ready to catch there prey at gates, finger on the button the moment a player appears on grid and scan and lock in a window of seconds are the “lazy” ones not playing properly.

Its like we are living in opposite land.

I wonder who the true winners here are: the players doing the killing and the loot/salt collecting, or the players dying to them and then complaining about them on the forums/making fun of them for “being bad at PvP”, “haha didn’t need that ship anyway!”-style? :sunglasses:

Because your statement about ‘threat in local’ is nonsense. It’s not like there’s a threat in local once in a blue moon…the threats are there regularly. Where I often mine, there always at least 2 people in local with ‘terrible standing’ all the time. Local is little more than a vague guide…not in itself a source of fleeing. If I fled the asteroid belt every time 6 people arrive in local within a few seconds…I’d never get any mining done. NO sensible person flees just because of local.

Then there’s d-scan. Unless one is clicking it literally every second, someone warping in can easily be missed. I mean, 10 seconds for someone to warp in from local is not long at all. D-scan can often be packed with sisters-of-eve probes ( even if one sets the filter to PvP ), Local can have 50 people…and the two windows have more info than can be displayed. And that on top of npcs attacking one’s mining drones, asteroids running out and having to target a new one, having to check to see how near to full the ore hold is…etc.

And then you forget that a Procurer, for example, actually has an alignment time of 10 seconds…so that even if one hits ‘dock’ exactly as the gankers arrive in local…one would only just be scramming off as they arrive on scene.

My point about gankers is that THEY can be distracted, make a coffee, miss the odd catch, fumble their keyboard, drop the mouse, get nagged at by their partner about when some Amazon delivery will arrive, and their ship will still be there ! How can you possibly claim that is harder work than someone who literally has to pay attention every single second or their ship wont ?

Go to Aurcel ( a system I often rat in ) and to the asteroid belt nearest to the Egghelende gate and tell me why the asteroids are so huge as nobody ever mines there. Why not…if one can escape gankers so easily ?

1 Like

Incidentally. it is worth adding that I have for some time suspected that d-scan is not up to date anyway. I’ve noticed several times where someone has disappeared from local…only for them still to be appearing in d-scan for some seconds after.

This is as far as i got with this one. I dont know how many times i can point this out.

The threats are there regularly if you are mining in busy systems near trade hubs. If you are, like i am currently, mining in a dead end system with 5 people in local (4 of which are in my corp) then you can easlily respond to local. I’m coming up to the 3 hour mark and i can count on one hand the amount of people who have appeared on local in that time.

Mining 101. Getting that bit wrong is just basic. If you cant be bothered to make the effort to find somewhere safe to mine then of course you are going to have problems.

1 Like

We griefed them all out of the game, we’re sorry.

@Aiko_Danuja, looks like the system is finally ready for a mining op. Gather the crew and let’s set a time. I’m bringing 3 Macks.

Lol…you don’t quite seem to have grasped yet that I’m the one doing the mocking.

Hang on a minute. Gix assures us that nowhere is safe. And you can’t be paying that much attention to local and d-scan if you’ve got time to write posts here. So you are ignoring your own advice :slight_smile:

Oh, there is certainly lack of grasping going on alright…

Not really ignoring my own advice. taking an acceptable risk given i mine in this system 3 times a week. have been for over a year. And havent seen a single gank attempt in that time. Gankers dont come here.

Id treat a busy system completely differently. Like i keep saying. The level of risk you take is your choice.

But you know best. Enjoy.

$0.0816/kwhr??? sheesh im in the UK and i pay roughly $0.18/kwhr…but i digress. i don’t care how much it costs me to play any games as i get enjoyment out of it (except EvE----the enjoyment has long since flown!)

Maybe you just fail to see your own post as ganker salt. If I had a grain of salt for every bit of offended pride here…I mean let’s face it that’s the only reason you and various others are responding…I’d have enough salt to keep the roads clear this winter. ‘Victims’ may be salty, but its clear there nothing quite as salty as a ganker who’s esteemed ‘lion of the Serengeti’ status is mocked.

I have really cheap power where I live, cheapest in the US.