State of Ganking

Most don’t take the bait sadly :frowning:

Mobile Tractor Unit. Stays in space and hoovers/loot wrecks. You can attack it to go suspect. Modern can flip.

1 Like

I have never understood why people who want to blow other ships up don’t just go to null. Get some friends together, identify a system, and hold it against all comers. Take it over and defy anyone to take it from you.

1 Like

Do you want somebody to explain it to you, or do you prefer to not understand?

1 Like

The Mittani assigned me to Highsec.

I don’t get to choose which part of EvE I control.

2 Likes

Wut. You don’t get it? But you’ve been playing MMOs since 99? Riiight.

I’m guessing both :smiley:

I did the nullsec thing. Fought in some massive war, led a few small gank groups around. It was fine.

High Sec was way more fun. I didnt like being one in one thousand. Plus I only play with a few IRL friends. We just like to go on the deep hunt.

1 Like

CCP effectively removed all forms of PvP from high-sec aside from suicide-ganking. It’s still possible to engage in other types, but there are significant restrictions in place.

For example, corporations only become eligible to receive incoming wars if they own structures. This has cut down the amount of war-eligible targets to somewhere between 2-5% of the pre-citadel figures. The system has effectively turned into about 3-4 major wardec groups blanket-declaring on anyone they see with a structure in space. Unless you have contacts or are willing to pay ransoms/mercenary fees to retain your structures, they will be quickly found and destroyed. This also hurts small wardec groups, because they need to front a war HQ in order to be able to declare wars, which would quickly get taken out by these larger groups looking for any content they can find. This means that small wardec groups simply cannot survive—it’s impossible for them to retain their war HQs, and they can’t use guerrilla tactics because they would always be forced into having the structure fight.

There is no time limit on wars, just structure eligibility requirements, and the absolute necessity to defend yourself through blobbing.

Can-baiting has been relegated to baiting mission-runners, as others have said. It’s a viable activity, but is more dangerous today because you become flagged to everyone as opposed to just the owning corporation of the loot you steal.

It’s no wonder than most high-sec PvP players switched to suicide-ganking, aside from the ones that were already into the large-group blanket wardec life.

5 Likes

This was the exact response I was looking for and fearing.

These are the reasons I stopped playing and will refrain from logging in ever again. What a shame.

Thank you for the honesty.

CCP implemented crap like this back in 2013 and I see it’s only gotten worse. The active players were way higher back then and there wasn’t as much multiboxing. All games kill themselves once they start accommodating carebear tears.

3 Likes

Is it possible for my playstyle to thrive in wormholes or lowsec? or is the velocity super low?

There’s plenty of rage to extract from the cattle if you want it. It’s just that the process of doing so is no longer as entertaining, or even equitable for them, as in the past there were more avenues for targets to resist and fight back.

If you get a group of about 10 people, it would be possible to do aggressive wars to some extent. There just aren’t enough targets for everyone anymore, so there will be much less activity. Mission-baiting, as others have said, still works well. Suicide-ganking is there for you if you want it.

I’d say go on a nostalgia trip while you can, because they might put the final nail in the coffin in the future. I have hope that Rattati will reverse course, but only a little.

Low-sec is dead. It was dead before, but now it’s almost completely desolate.

Wormholes? Not sure. It’s been many years since I’ve lived in them. The perception I’m getting from most is that they have become farming grounds.

You understand exactly what i’m getting at.

Never really into suicide ganking. I got my kicks in other games for crap like that. Its easier and more abundant. Albion Online is pretty much me roaming around, killing gatherers then getting jumped on my a 10-man zerg.

Eve’s charm was in the hunt. Loved it.

Mission Baiting seems possible. And, you’re right. Need to try while I can I suppose. Still will always be my favorite game of all time. A shame they ■■■■ all over it.

I can see low and worm havent changed since 2013

CCP even messed up hunting in nullsec.

They introduced filaments that allow people to teleport randomly around the universe, which leads to a play style sort of like highsec suicide ganking - where a fleet just appears out of nowhere and tries to destroy the startled prey before it can dock up. Then, they can all just teleport to the other side of the universe before a PvP fleet can get there to oppose them.

Then, rather than just getting rid of the stupid filaments, they decided to nerf cloaks, so that you cannot walk away from your computer undocked for more than ~30 minutes without risking being decloaked by an observatory structure.

“Hunting” is dead in this game.

2 Likes

I rather like filaments. Introduces some risk and some fun.

And honestly, I’ve been ninjahacking in Null. No one really bothers you.

Good. I am genuinely glad people find things they enjoy in this game. I preferred the old way, sneaking around using wormholes.

1 Like

Things have changed. Even I had to adapt from my solo wardecs back in the day as Cannibal Kane.

What you have now is wardeccer space basically to ensure we have our content where certain group function in specific areas of space. RIOT in Gallente space and all other smaller deccers knuckles down under them in that area. Caldari Space which BlackFlag protects fiercely and wardecs all other deccers found operating within 5 jump of Jita. I mean to the point where we would destroy their warhq or just intervene on their structure timers so they would not be able to kill structures.

Those two are really the only notable groups which is a conglomerate of older wardec “Merc” corps.

Doing your own thing is still possible I still do that now and again but it helps to have friends now. The only sad part for structures and what CCP planned never materialized. The reason for a WarHQ to allow the defender to come and destroy it but that rarely ever happens. It is really rare as that would meant they would have to destroy a structure defended by a 100 man Battleship fleet with overwhelming logi.

If you are ingame reach out. Happy to update a fellow wardeccer from the old days. I had to update my thinking and I am still enjoying and loving EVE.

4 Likes

I tried twice, and each time one of the big groups showed up almost instantly to siege my station with 20 Leshaks because they were bored and had no other content. This was even before cores were introduced. I’m basically playing alone, and there’s literally nothing I can do in such a situation. I can’t switch to guerrilla tactics when fighting against a numerically-superior force like in the good old days because a structure defense fight is forced every single time, and the only way to counter that is to have a blob big enough to deter attack through mutually-assured destruction that would exceed any benefits from attacking a war HQ except in very rare cases that are heavily rooted in infamy and principle, like the recent (short) POCO war.

The new system is utter ■■■■.

2 Likes

The requirement to own a station is counter-intuitively bad for new players. Previously, an aggressive new player could war dec larger groups and generate content by themselves, or with a few friends. Now, it would be foolish to try that, and it would likely just result in the loss of their structure.

So the change eliminates content for new players, and is another example of how carebears disadvantage new players by trying to ‘protect’ them.

7 Likes

Well that did not work so well either. Waiting for round two though. As was mentioned before, it is easy taking a POCO. Really hard holding them.

1 Like

Huh? You don’t make any sense. But then again, this is the internet…

Want to fight? Go to null. But of course, the griefers don’t want to fight. They just want easy targets. They just want to ruin the gameplay of people who just want to mine quietly and make stuff.

I came to Eve in 2005 and understand how things work. But the game has changed a lot since then. Newer players don’t really know the score, they just like the beautiful graphics and the fun of pretending to be a space merchant. Those players are not going to stay around if their pretty ships keep getting blown up by griefers. Eventually they will leave. Then what? The game will end.

I let my paid subscription lapse recently and decided to play as an alpha because I got tired of griefers showing up where my corpmates hang out. The old “oh no, there are reds in-system, let’s dock right away!” thing is just tired. I don’t want to pay for that kind of nonsense. If alpha accounts were no longer allowed, I would not play Eve at all.

Some systems should be completely off-limits to griefers, such as 1.0 and 0.9 systems. Let people who want to play peacefully do so. The player base has changed, and the game should too. All playing styles should be accommodated if Eve is to survive as a subscription-based game.

Its so… whiny in this thread…

1 Like