Station Stealing EXPLOIT

Just so I understand, I can rob a bank and as I am fleeing I toss the money to a friend and he gets away with no punishment? And the cops don’t even show up unless some one attempts to punish either me or the bagman? And when they do decide to show up, they shoot the people attempting to handle the thieves?

And that is just one example, what about people that gank ships at a gate, load up the hauler and the group owning the material just has to watch as the cops protect the bagman as he gleefully runs away. What about the permacamps outside the asset safety stations waiting for some poor smuck to attempt to get his material back? And if they attempt to recover the material the bagman just docks and they have no recourse.

Guess we are just victims of the defund Concord movement.

2 Likes

More like victim of your own ineptness. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I have said it many many times before but this game was designed by griefers for griefers.

Lately I was thinking the original make up of CCP might have been like Hogwarts though, and its just the Slytherins managed to pervert everything.

Removed some off topic highly inappropriate comments. Do it again at your own peril.

2 Likes

every theft scenario you have described can be easily prevented.
don’t want to get your freighter ganked? use a scout, avoid known ganking chokepoints like Uedama wherever possible. be prepared to log your freighter off and wait a couple hours if there’s gank squads in action. watch and wait until some other poor sap starts getting bumped and ninja your freighter through while they’re otherwise occupied.
don’t want your unanchoring structure to be nabbled out from underneath you? have your own hauler setup ~1000km away on grid, aligned and ready to go as soon as it unanchors. have a bumper on the structure ready to bump thieves away.
don’t want your stuff to get camped into an asset safety station? make an insta-undock bookmark, or use a jump freighter hauling service.

seriously, if your getting griefed like this, then take a look at what your doing. chances are pretty good that by mixing things up a little, or actually putting some thought and effort into what you’re doing, you’ll be able to avoid 99% of problems.

1 Like

An Australian hauler with more than 50ms ping clearly.
EVE is not a twitch game, mechanics around things worth hundreds of millions should not rely on perfect spam clicking and low ping.

Note. I’m not saying it should be impossible to steal. But a 10 sec owner only window allows for sensible gameplay while not eliminating the ability to bump their hauler clear and then steal the structure as a result.

1 Like

Maybe I’m wrong as stealing unanchoring structures isn’t my thing, but the person attempting to steal has no access to the unanchoring timer right? So to get it, they either have a spy, have somehow socially engineered the owner to give up the information, or are just really observant.

Unless I’m way off the mark, the owner has royally screwed up even for a steal to be possible if the owner is ready to go when the timer comes out. They have to have some pretty poor skills to be telegraphig either their actions or the timer details.

10 seconds additional timer, after the initial timer should only be known to them anyway seems a bit too generous.

I thought it was visible to all, but I also haven’t looked in a while. So could be something to what you say. Though I think it is pretty easy to observe the pickup. And it only takes 2 haulers which isn’t hard.

Just Googling it, if the mechanics haven’t changed, there are a couple of safeties for the owner already:

1. only the Directors of the owning corp receive any notification that the unanchoring has started (and there’s no indication of the timer when looking at the structure)
  2. the owners can stop the unanchoring at any point before it completes.

So if there are thieves on grid, just stop unanchoring and restart it again (I assume that is another 7 days again, but completely prevents the steal)

And, if only the Directors know the start time, then good internal security combined with warping to the structure from a safe just before it comes out of unanchoring (so there isn’t enough time to get organised for someone wanting to steal), should make the unanchoring pretty safe (but safest of all, is just stop the unanchoring if concerned about anyone).

The above assumes those mechanics haven’t changed.

3 Likes

The owner can also set up a login “trap” to avoid being in system more than a few seconds before the unanchoring completes, providing an additional buffer of security.

2 Likes

I’m AUTZ and know the joys of a 300’ish millisecond ping.
EVE is great for Aussies in that it operates on a 1hz server tick. About the only thing I can’t reliably do is instalock on gatecamps.
Picking up an unanchored structure, when I know EXACTLY when it unanchors isn’t hard and, at worst, I’ll be 1s “slow”.

How dare you imply that something is wrong with my precious baby by pointing out that I neglected their emotional upbringing to the point where their behavior online is disturbingly sociopathic.

The thing you seem to be touching on which makes CCP do a nervous fake chuckle, is EVE’s target market / demographic / ideal player. So, you know those people who play normal games with rules and physics that make sense? CCP isn’t marketing to them. CCP is marketing to a niche in the gaming world that doesn’t appeal to regular players, but rather to trolls, scammers, spammers, bot users, cheaters, you know, all those people who get regularly banned from well moderated games. Asking such individuals to make the mental leap of actually realizing their behavior is toxic is like asking them to leap over a skyscraper, they just don’t have the capacity to comprehend a world in which their toxicity isn’t celebrated.

If CCP tips their hand and lets it slip that trolls / griefers are their target demographic, it might become easier to help the trolls rehabilitate into humans, “Yeah, you’re toxic, the company that makes the game you’re addicted to admitted as much.” but I really don’t see that happening, trolls make amazing addicts, and addicts don’t just subscribe on 1 account, they subscribe on handfuls, and even dozens of accounts, going to bizarre (for any normal reasonable human) lengths to maintain their advantage, getting sweaty and desperate over every, single, kill.

2 Likes

Except that guy who is there to loot it isn’t 1s slow. Certain things in EVE gameplay are like that where 1s slow = last.
However, if Scipio is right and there isn’t a way to tell the timer, then I guess it’s ok enough. I’d still like to see a tiny window where only owner can loot as a general thing for anything lootable, even if it’s just 1s to allow for slow pings, and if you are the thief and know the timer you can set up a bump for that time to get around the timer.
Instead of it being a race at that point instead it is tactics to get the loot.

1 Like

Is this some next level self-reflection being undertaken here, or just “the other players that don’t play how I like are like are the sociopaths”?

3 Likes

There is a difference between exploit and broken. Ganking is broken.

Yeah, that’s broken.

Shouldn’t be able to transfer cargo from a suspect without going suspect yourself.

Not like its a big problem for the people that come in here and constantly cry ‘More PvP, More!’ after all.

I got told in here something was an exploit, then the GM’s had a look and the result was people got their ships back.

Absolutely ridiculous, especially when shooting at MTU’s and Mobile depot’s only make you suspect and not corncorded either.

I just noticed the age of this thread, they likely have their hands full with the other parts of the game that are broken right now.

You do realise that when you undock from an unanchoring structure it shows you how long before it unanchors, right?

That’s not true, sometime things go haywire. I know of at least one structure that unanchored and did not spawn, and another that continuously said it was unanchoring for hours past the timer.

Yeah, high security policing is pretty dumb, especially when you consider the fact their weapons will destroy a titan like microwaving an egg.

Yeah, those are broken too. Concord should blow people up for loitering.

Oh that is a really good explanation. :slight_smile:

That’s kind of dumb, but just don’t give docking rights (or revoke them ahead of starting the timer) and that isn’t an issue.

Those are bugs in the code that should be reported. Ultimately, it doesn’t matter what mechanics are put in, if the code has bugs, then the mechanics will not act as normal at times, and that could just as easily benefit the owner as anyone else. Bugs are just bad all around.

1 Like

Not that easy, its amazing how many freeloaders will start to whine the second they get locked out of a citadel they’ve been leeching off and that draws all the wrong kinds of attention.

Who cares about the freeloaders if you’re going to unanchor the structure anyway? Purge the access lists, unanchor, reanchor, unanchor a couple of times to throw people off the scent of when it will actually unanchor, scoop and moonwalk out.
If there’s folk who regularly use the citadel, then you could be super nice and give them some warning.
Otherwise, if the freeloaders want citadel access, they can plonk down their own and deal with all the ongoing expenses and risks that come with that.

2 Likes