I’ve brought up this idea separately in a few posts about capital ships and battleships, so I figured it warranted its own post.
I’d like to propose slightly re-aligning supcap warp speeds. (All values given below are for T1 variants.)
- Frigates: 5 AU/s
- Destroyers: 4.5 AU/s
- Cruisers: 4 AU/s (up from 3 AU/s)
- Battlecruisers: 3.5 AU/s (up from 2.5 AU/s)
- Battleships: 3 AU/s (up from 2 AU/s)
- Capital Ships: 1.5 AU/s
- Titans and Freighters: 1.37 AU/s
- Mining Barges: 3 AU/s
- Industrial Ships: 3 AU/s
- Industrial Command Ships: 2.7 AU/s (Porpoise) and 2 AU/s (Orca)
This change would accomplish a few things:
- More consistent decrease in warp speed among subcap classes (i.e. every step up in class is a 0.5 AU/s step down in warp).
- Increase Battleship warp speed to make roaming in them less painfully slow.
- Increase the utility of subcaps, and in particular Battleships, over Capital Ships.
- Maintain the overall balance of warp speed differences among subcaps, even if the absolute differences are a bit lower (i.e. frigates and 'Ceptors will still be the fastest ships generally, but not so much so that they totally eclipse larger subcaps).
- Industry and mining would be largely unaffected since haulers and mining ships aren’t getting any sort of speed boost.
A few other things would likely need to be looked at in conjunction with this change, particularly:
- Cruisers and Battleships with bonuses to warp speed (Macharial, Cynabal, Proteus, Victorieux Luxury Yacht, et al.). Should those bonuses be adjusted, removed, or left as is? (I have no particular feelings on this.)
- Cap required to warp for the ships getting a warp speed boost. Should it be increased or left as is? (I think it should be increased. Can’t get something for nothing.)
- Ships with a Covert Ops Cloak. Should they all take a hit to warp speed (e.g. -0.5 AU/s off of their base warp speed) like stealth bombers? (With the base warp speeds increased, I think they should take the hit. Otherwise, no, they’d be too slow.)
- Should T2 ship classes (aside from Covert Ops variants) universally get a warp speed boost, and should it be the same for all T2 variants? I think there is some interesting opportunity here to further tweak/differentiate between T2 variants. There’s already some differentiation here with certain classes ('Ceptors, Blockade Runners), but can/should we have more? (I have no particular suggestion here, but I’d love to see a discussion.)
Thoughts, comments, suggestions, and even flames are welcome.
Thanks for your time.