Suggestion: Make Cheaper Omega Passes

I suppose it would work if the cost was balanced right. 3 days would need to be as much as a week of, or more of a month sub.

For those that are still training months and months of skills or alphas looking to train a bit to try out omega skills, the OPs idea is pointless. Better off just subbing.

A valid and good observation. A ā€˜very shortā€™ option is more likely to be abused by ā€˜standbyā€™ accounts. Therefore I suggest keeping the current available ā€˜7 Day Omegaā€™ which is available on the Steam Store as the minimum.

Base price for PLEX being sold is 110 PLEX for USD 4.99. So for USD 1, you get 22 PLEX as a base price. If you buy 500 PLEX, it costs USD 19.99, the discounted rate for USD 1, youā€™d get 25 PLEX. So I took prices roughly in between as a base + premium/discounts.

7 day = 150 PLEX. Roughly cones to USD 6.80

10 day pass = 200 PLEX. Comes to USD 9.10

30 day pass = 500 PLEX. As per normal USD 19.99

Just to add, this just lowers the barrier of entry into Omega, but a shorter duration. Itā€™s not only about using it to train skills, but to allow them to use T2 ships and mods. Open up industry, invention, PI, etc. New Alpha players will not be able to use these unless they start subbing with 30 day Omega at a cost of 1.7bil isk.

Like I mentioned above, F2P players donā€™t ā€˜believeā€™ in spending real cash for game if they can do it with in-game isk. CCP already allow them to do so, but I believe many gave up because it takes a lot to grind up 1.7 bil and also they are doing it with limited skills and equipment. No point trying to convince them to spend cash, but CCP can retain them by making it easier to try out Omega.

Intention is good but side consequences are bad. The core problem is too high plex price and since you canā€™t force players to put more on the market the only solution to that is decreasing the supply of isk. Or better isk sinks. Sadly ccp added a plex sink instead of an isk sink latelyā€¦ :x

1 day or 3 day passes are too short and can allow cheaper means of exploiting standby alt accounts for time critical events. 7 day passes should be the minimum in accordance to what CCP already allow for from the Steam Store.

1 Like

CCP is adding more PLEX options in order to stimulate more PLEX trading. The function of PLEX is still limited especially for ā€˜microā€™ transactions. No doubt PLEX sales are good for them.

Also PLEX trading itself is an isk sink via market taxes.

However I understand your concerns regarding high PLEX prices. If prices soar due to increased demand, it can backfire on the original intention to make it more affordable to try out Omega. A valid concern that I do not have an answer for. I think market or economic experts have a better opinion on the matter.

You are right thereā€¦there would be a lot of hyper customized toons that are only brought out for opsā€¦

This is probably the best reason against itā€¦

I do understand where you are coming from on this. I believe in paying for my accounts to help fund the game I enjoy so they can continue to create more enjoyment for me and others.

F2P accounts can get dangerously close to killing a game if they are given to many options to be equal to those that always pay for omega. There needs to be a very distinct and obvious separation between alpha and omega, always.

For those that choose to believe in not paying for omega, they should be limited. Personally I think they shouldnā€™t even barely make it out of starting zones without paying.

F2P accounts have already been given to many options. I would not be surprised if most are used by veteran players as farming accounts or bots. We have seen nerfs because of this.

So many threads about player retention and more options for alphas to improve it is just wrong.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

So you are against them becoming Omega because they arenā€™t willing to pay real cash to CCP as subs? Why? Subbing with PLEX is actually more profitable to CCP, and trading of PLEX is an isk sink.

From my point of view, Alpha players are keeping population of EVE healthy. There a lot of them that succeeded keeping sub by paying for Omega via PLEX. Iā€™m more concerned with players that didnā€™t even managed to sub to Omega, and quit halfway due to the high entry prices.

By making it easier to experience Omega, albeit a shorter duration, more Alpha players can hope to play without limitations and see their actual potential.

Why the restriction to Alpha and Omega? It would be interesting to expand to Beta, Gamma or Delta.

Consider a singular race restriction, but up to Marauder hull. Only 1.5x training and injection limits - say at 50% of subscription. Half price for only a quarter of the non-capital hulls accessible - seems like a modest trade-off.

I like it, it makes sense, instead of poo pooing it players should think how it would effect game play. One shorter Omega time would rule out lvl 5 skill training.

What proof do you have?

$15 a month is NOT a high entry price. Thatā€™s three cups of coffee, or two and a half packs of cigarettes. Eve is not an expensive game, you either pay for it or you donā€™t.

Plex has been around before alphas so no I have no problem with anyone using plex as it still funds the game.

You are talking about ways to get alphas more opportunity to get omega options for less. If you want omega pay for it a month at a time. That steam thing better be temporary.

No reason to change the month sub or plex setup at all. It will not add more players, it will not get alphas to buy omega time more often.

Most likely the only alphas that will take advantage of it is veteran players with multiple accounts. Easy weekend or week of multi boxing without having to pay for a month.

An alpha that is devoted to playing without spending real cash has probably already settled on a set of skills. Going omega for a short time would only accomplish learning a few new skills that you lose once your time is up. That dont sound like a way to inspire more omega players. Sounds frustrating to lose the skills you spent time on.

So you lose isk on plex, then lose skills you spent time training and whatever ships or mods you may have purchased. Back to grinding for the next short time omega with a sad hope to make enough isk to keep it going.

Any good tech 2 ships and all the skills to go with it will take more then a week or two to train anyway. Hope the alpha grinded for the injectors too or they will never enjoy any new toys with the short omega time. Same deal if they choose manufacturing or PI. It will take time and isk to set up that a short time omega will never enjoy. Just suffer a loss.

Maybe the small taste of these things inspires going omega full time. In my opinion any alpha looking to check out other game options should at least go omega for a month or two to discover if it is what they really want.

F2P players donā€™t pay for their games. Maybe some will be tempted, but I wonā€™t debate with you on how to convince them. Iā€™m just asking for a cheaper PLEX option to sub to Omega. For Alpha players who wonā€™t a cent of real life cash, making it cheaper to PLEX an Omega doesnā€™t sound a like a bad deal.

Is there a reason why you are against players trying out a 7 day Omega? Steam Store already sells ā€˜7 Day Omega Passā€™ for USD 7. Iā€™m asking for a similar deal in the New Eden Store with PLEX.

Hmmm, at the current arrangement, Alphaā€™s are required to go 30 day Omega or none at all. You have a concern that introducing a smaller cheaper package of 7 day Omega or 10 day Omega is detrimental to the game. And that you think it will only make it worse for an Alpha to tryout a 500+ mil 7 day package, only to get shafted again once the 7 day is up. It is true that you canā€™t gain much SP in a 7 day duration, but in 7 days you can gain a lot of isks as an Omega. While starting out maybe hard, as in anything in EVE, but being able to fly T2 ships is already quite a bonus and the efficiency of earning is much improved. There isnā€™t a downside to being an Omega player other than being able to afford it. For example, being able to fly T2 Hawks can be a good PVE earner right? Let them figure it out if they think it is worth it. I only suggest to let them in for cheaper ā€˜ticketā€™ prices for a limited time.

You are concerned that a 7 day Omega trial or 10 day Omega trial they paid for isnā€™t enough, let them try it. Is there an actual harm to let them taste the fun of Omega? Even for casual veterans currently playing on an Alpha clone, is it really detrimental to the game if they decide to sub for 7 days, to have fun once in a while when they are free from life commitments?

Oh and I checked SteamDB, it seems the ā€˜7 day Omega passā€™ in the Steam Store was introduced 5 months ago.

@Skidd_Chung

i see 2 things here

1st: yea why not ā€¦ sounds not bad

2nd: welllllll ā€¦ if it is to hard for them to get the plex why they dont make a normal subsciption? plex is expensive because many use them ā€¦ if the demand is only half the price will go down ā€¦ so you make a sub for 1 year and play as omega ā€¦ stock up your plex and then use them when your subscription ends ā€¦

i dont grind for plex ā€¦ i have subscriptions only ā€¦ it have huge benfits ā€¦ dont think about just play ā€¦

JuuR

And there goes your thread.
That ā€œbarrierā€, as you mistakingly call it, is 20 bucks.
New players should not grind for Omega, because thatā€™s ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– .

As your whole thread bases on this ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ,
Iā€™m not convinced itā€™s worth reading on.

Just look at this:

First heā€™s saying the barrier is too high ā€¦
ā€¦ then he says that itā€™s good when the price of PLEX increases ā€¦
ā€¦ as if that didnā€™t make it worse.

The barrier towards Omega is 20 bucks for the first time ā€¦
ā€¦ and fifteen bucks per month for every next time, longer subs not counting.

For most people that should be easily affordable ā€¦
ā€¦ and those who canā€™t afford it probably shouldnā€™t be playing.

Those who arenā€™t willing to afford it ā€¦
ā€¦ can try killing their game by grinding ā€¦
ā€¦ or are more or less kindly asked to ā– ā– ā– ā–  off.

Dismissed.

5 Likes

not designed for new alpha players.

nope, new players should pay their sub with cash for their new alpha account to go omega, when that omega can support itself then itā€™s not a bad idea to plex an account, or an alt account for that matter.

but a new player going from alpha to omega is much better off buying a starter pack.

Actually the barrier is USD 7 instead of USD 15, as you can buy a ā€˜7 day Omega passā€™ in the Steam Store for USD 7. Iā€™m asking for the same for the New Eden Store with PLEX. Itā€™s not new, just replace real $ with PLEX.

Indeed, I mentioned the possible problems that might arise from this as additional demand of PLEX if this is implemented may backfire on this objective in the first place. It is listed in my first post as a ā€˜conā€™, while the ā€˜proā€™ is CCP earns more due to higher demand of PLEX. I do not know how PLEX market inflation control works. Iā€™ll leave it to the experts.

I have read quite a few arguments from posters about the ā€˜right to playā€™ should reside with those who can afford the monthly sub. The rest can piss off. It is not a strong argument unfortunately. It is undeniably true, if one were to pay for a monthly sub, there is no pressure to grind for isk for a sub. Only for your ships. While it is affordable for many players to sub, I can assure you many will not pay a real cent for their games when they know they can pay it with in-game isk. It is the nature of F2P players.

But I do want to find out why you are against it in the first place, if it doesnā€™t affect non-PLEX players like yourself. I mean, at the end of the day, PLEX prices will fluctuate based on demand. It was much higher previously.

I mean, do you really want all the F2P players to leave the server since they canā€™t afford it, they should piss off? CCP probably went this route to sustain the population. Like it or not, F2P provided the population. Now it is how CCP decide to retain them and profiting from them. And if these F2P players can sub themselves with PLEX and provide more content by actually fighting in T2 ships, isnā€™t it all fine?

Letā€™s just assume the intention is to target those who arenā€™t going to pay a single cent for this game. I know the argument, ā€œif they canā€™t afford it, they should piss off.ā€ Iā€™m just suggesting a way to keep those players.

Feel free to disagree. I am not CCP releasing patch notes here. I am merely suggesting a way to PLEX a 7 day Omega pass, similar to one in the Steam Store, which can make it easier for someone to sub.

by creating a grindfest for them that they will quit the game because of.

thanks, i do disagree, it creates more problems than solutions, it would be abused by people for alts to use for cynos, caps and so on.

it would push players down the plex your account always road, which is a grindfest.

i do not have an issue with those who plex their accounts, if they are smart enough in game theyā€™ll learn to earn isk at a rate that can support plexing accounts, but to do it from the start, is a bad idea.

letā€™s be honest, most will not become big isk earners within their first months in game, most will mine or npc there way to enough isk to get the 500 plex and itā€™s not long before do nothing but grind for them plex leaving them rather short of isk to buy the items in game they really need which get more expensive as you increase your levels on skills and ships flown.

all it takes it a rather big loss and they are bankrupted.

the game is not expensive, it is based on subs, alpha is more than enough for any player to decide if they want to pay the 15 bucks a month to play a game they really enjoy.

1 Like