Switch the names for Javelin and Spike ammo

No. It’s a description of what will happen.

the sky is falling

The badger got repurposed when it had it’s name changed to distinguish its role against its sibling.

If the hybrid ammo was once called javelin and javelin 2 and one was plain better than the other before being changed to what they are today, then you’d have a point.

And in the badgers case it was a new name. Where as what if they wanted to swap its name with something else? Like badger to charon and vice versa.

what? they have also just flat changed modules names to make them less confusing in the tericide while base stats stayed relatively the same. And the game didn’t end because now everyone who had gotten used to the old names. all it did was make the names clearer going forward

But these modules were also repurposed and given new names.

In the case of the hybrid ammo we’re talking about swapping two existing names. Nothing else.

If we were talking about making javelin ammo become ‘shorty-slow tracking high damage’ and spike ‘snipey’ then you’d have a point.

But this thread is about calling a pebble a stone, and a stone a pebble.

Yep, they did indeed change more than names, but they did a lot more. It’s really not a good analogy, because the mass change does require every player to adapt. And as you’ve pointed out are we capable to adapt. Nothing died. So why the need for a single name change?! Simply adapt.

To be fair, if it should be renamed then call it anything but Javelin so it cannot be confused or mistaken or associated with missiles in any way. To switch names around isn’t a good idea.

Still, I have to say this debate reminds me of a kid who has discovered that cheesecake doesn’t taste like actual cheese.

1 Like

I think that kid needs to get out more. :wink:

Cream cheese is a kind of cheese. :slight_smile:
There are cheeses other than the standard savory/salty/umami stuff. And they all have different consistencies.

But back to the topic.

I would not worry too much about Javelin Missiles being confused with Javelin hybrid ammo.

If anything, it makes sense in that “Javelin” means “long range.”

We already have plenty of modules with standard prefixes that imply a certain trait.

If it really is a concern, perhaps a second prefix could be added?
Something like:

• missiles: Javelin “Booster” Missile
  • hybrid: Javelin “Pinpoint” Charge

Sure, but why not call it “bestcakeever”?

2 Likes

Heh.

I sometimes call it a “good lie.”

Because “cheese is good” and “the cake is a lie.”

2 Likes

i suggested that earlier in the thread

Im always right so…

The image that spike conjures up is a short, sharp object, intended to do damage at point blank range, like spike strips are used in car chases.

The image that a javelin conjures up is a longer item intended to be hurled as far as possible.

To the OP: Bittervets vote pure stupidity on a regular basis, it probably accounts for about 90% of all their posts, they struggle with change even when it makes perfect sense. Fortunately, sometimes CCP sees past their whiny little posts and actually does the sensible thing and makes reasonable changes, i hope this is one of them since it would take little in effort, is sensible and future players to EVE wont have to adapt to a confusing naming situation.

To provide you with some measure of hope, CCP lately has been renaming things to make their usage more clear and this would fit in with that new naming direction wonderfully.

1 Like

EVE has nothing to do with cars or car chases. As much as spike strips do have spikes are you not shooting strips of any kind into space, to chase after cars or spaceships. For the little damage a Spike hybrid charge does does it remain a rather fitting name. It’s just a spike in comparison to a javelin.

And the “longer item” you’re thinking of is a javelin. You can use the name javelin to describe a javelin. While a javelin isn’t a melee weapon such as a knife or a sword, if we want to continue making analogies here, does it remain a short and medium range throwing weapon, capable of dealing a considerable amount of damage. So it remains rather fitting.

He’s just demonstrating common associations with the words “spike” and “javelin” which is what your brain naturally does when you hear these words. When I hear spike I think melee, I think a spike in damage. When I think javelin I think “woah look how far that dude just threw that thing!”

Imagine yourself on the receiving end for a moment. You’d wish he’d be throwing spikes at you instead.

1 Like

Another one I heard in an earlier post is that “spike is a dog who will chase you to the ends off the earth.” Well if spike were my dog I’d keep him on a short leash, and If I let him off his leash I don’t want him disappearing across a park chasing some wild geese, If he’s that kind of dog CCP should have named this ammo “Fenton”, because spike sounds like the sort of short range dog that stays chained up for the safety of the community.

1 Like

Ask 100 people, get 100 different interpretations.

You cannot make the change based on the narrow opinions here. You’d have to get the feedback from as much of the playerbase as you can. Or it’s better to just leave it as it is. It’s just a name after all.

1 Like

but the confusion isn’t even about what you think when you hear the names its about it being used two different ways in game. one javelin is LR the other Javelin is sr

oh wait i mean

GGRRR change nothing, nothing can change

That is as much an argument for changing the name of javelin missiles or making an entirely new name for javelin hybrid ammo which I’d be fine with.

as would I

Javelin in the missile sense conjures up the slender frame of the javelin and it’s precise point of contact, while fury really doesn’t imply really anything specific if taken alone but given that javelin is the small impact weapon, it isnt as confusing when combined with fury as the other option.

Damn it, I wish i was wrong once and awhile just to show a bit of that faulty charm you other guys have. Oh well, I’ve been perfect so long I guess I’m just stuck with it.

1 Like