Switching to Linux, what do I do now with Eve?

“leave me alone”, has that ever worked in Eve?

You need to read the TOS not just search it. Then you use your judgement to decide if it’s a contract you want to enter into.

This is how the world works.

1 Like

Many of those publishers are so obnoxious with their “anti-cheat” software I won’t touch them again. That, unfortunately, also includes BDO.

Sure, but that still brings risk to migrating to Linux and gaming and why we need reassurances, it’s an issue that needs addressed and will be more prevalent in future

Ok, there is a support subforum for Linux? Why not take your concerns there?

It’s an EULA/TOS issue

No, it’s a troll issue.

3 Likes

If you are determined to go down that rabbit-hole, then you could risk breaking the rules (for any given game) even when running on Windows, if the “anti-cheat” doesn’t like the programs you are also running, the programs you have installed, your OS, or even your IP.

I quite often fart while playing, especially in the tense moments just before I die - should I request that the Eula explicitly permits me to do this ?

There are two absolutist philosophies for this sort of issue -

“Everything that is not explicitly permitted is forbidden”
vs
“Everything that is not explicitly forbidden is permitted”

I rather think that Eve tends towards the latter, but with a leavening of common sense.

And - if this uncertainty about Linux and the TOS is enough to faze you, you won’t get very far at playing a game with just a few actual rules and an awful lot of free-will…

2 Likes

I give it a few weeks… maybe a month before you are back on Windows.

The fact that you are asking these questions tell me you don’t know linux at all, no matter how much you would like to pretend you do.

You are either trolling or really have no clue what you are talking about. People have given you plenty of answers. It does not even state in Eula that Windows is allowed.

3 Likes

Damn - so it’s back to the abacus for us then ?

1 Like

crap… you right…

Uninstalls EVE.

1 Like

I’ve run Eve on Linux for as long as I’ve played - six or so years now. Mainly on Debian: bomb-proof but not exactly cutting edge.

So, Eve on Linux using Wine - runs fine. Make sure you’ve got reasonably up to date drivers for your video card, that you’ve got full Wine support for i386 and amd64 architectures (the client is 64-bit, the launcher is 32-bit as I recall) - that should be part of how you installed Wine in the first place!
You will need to do a little bit of work, there are dependencies - some of the MS Font packages, and possibly library updates depending on your Linux Distribution. But generally the Windows installer runs sweet as nut on a modern Linux build.

Various CCP Devs have provided Linux based launchers for the Eve client with pre-packaged Wine through kindness of them rather than an indication of support. I believe it’s an off shoot of them developing on Linux systems - though I may be wrong on that. A certain amount of Wine support is needed to provide a MacOS version as well so the additional effort for a Linux/Wine launcher is probably (hopefully) small.

In general support for a Linux application is a nightmare, there’s a lot of hand built, odd, old and weird distributions and systems based on a Linux kernel, differing library versions (assuming all the libraries are there), weird drivers and so forth. The standardisation of the platform isn’t the same as in the Windows world, and the difficulty of handling all of the exceptional cases would be disproportionate to the size of the Linux userbase (loud =/= many). Its a commercial decision.

Detection and blocking of games running on Linux:
OK, that’s a deep question and related to the whole “how do you detect cheating and botting?” problem. The nature of an open system does give the opportunity to bugger around - for example you can easily insert code into the driver interface, or build into the input streams. It’s just harder to do in Windows as you don’t have such an open system to work with - everything is binary blob not re-compilable source. You can either design your game to make automation or external aids hard to implement or valueless (and I believe that’s the path CCP are aiming for - to their credit) or you can implement a bunch of detection software to look for “odd stuff” - Riot do that with a kernel level module (that makes me twitch!) - you can’t do that in Linux and expect it to work for various reasons. The other option is just to block any users running on Linux and only trust the closed systems the end user can’t modify (the “trusted platform” only approach - depressingly common in the DRM infected world). Security is complicated. The first question is “who/what are you/they protecting?”

So to the original question (I might as well suffer from relevance!) “Switching to Linux, what do I do now with Eve?” - install it, though it may take a little more effort and understanding, and enjoy playing it.

3 Likes

They can do cheat detection server side by behavior analysis (not perfect either)

1 Like

The TOS is not primarily a list of things you’re allowed to do. The scope is too wide, and a company can’t very well go through every option and tell you that each one is OK. Instead they ban specific intentions or methods, which is much easier to manage.

There is a linux section on this very board. There is a semi-official linux launcher. Several devs, and plenty of players, play on linux. I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that this information is not enough for you.

So why can’t they say, it’s ok to game on Linux officially and be done with it rather than infer it from posts

…and people wonder why Linux users are hated. The Vegans of the computing world…

3 Likes

Same reason why Windows or Mac are mentioned in the Eula.

so if we email them they will respond with a confirmation in the positive that it’s ok?

Then I have a confirmation in email, didn’t they usually say if in doubt on any action in the game, contact them to confirm if it’s permitted?

Funny, I thought that was a different OS… :apple:

3 Likes