Tardigrades stranded on the Moon

Foolish humans. We aren’t completely done with contaminating the Earth yet, and they already moved on to the Moon.

4 Likes

Yes, we humans often do more harm than good to our own environment. And it’s probably inevitable that we will contaminate worlds that we have some plans to eventually colonize.

But whether we are guilty or not of contaminating our solar system may be moot since there is the theory of panspermia, the idea that life spreads throughout the galaxy through the process of celestial bodies colliding and such. It’s possible asteroids have kicked up enough of Earth’s crust to have seeded life on Mars, or vice versa, as examples. It’s also kind of cool to think that our own solar system could by chance have been seeded with life by some long dead ancient solar system.

That’s nothing, wait until oil starts being fraked on the moon.

2 Likes

Come on. Tardigrades ar tough, but not THAT tough. Temperatures on the moon range between 127º C and -173º C. Tardigrades can take a few minutes at 151 C and a few hours at -200 C, but days upon days… weeks… months… no way. They’re dead, Jim.

2 Likes

We’re all just having fun with science here.

The article states that there are two samples of tardigrades in suspended animation, one trapped in artificial amber and the other stuck on tape, and the moon’s surface is too hostile for any known active forms of life.

It’s mostly a curiosity article, wondering if a future mission to the moon will be able to some day retrieve the samples and perhaps revive the little critters. :sunglasses:

They live, but I don’t know what else they are doing.
I don’t know how they reproduce, if they can do it by themselves, and I don’t know what else they do.
To survive at these extremes, and the amount of radiation they can survive is the highest on those scales, nonetheless.
Still incredible compared to other non-living organisms.
I also don’t know what their composition and methods of functioning are, and what we can learn from it, or, if we can design any systems which would functions with human, besides our current interaction with them.

“The Arch Mission Foundation keeps a “backup” of planet Earth - with human knowledge and the planet’s biology stored and sent out to various solar locations in case of a life-ending event.”

That is a good idea, since, celestial bodies hitting the earth can cause irreparable damage to this knowledge, understand, and all the work we have done in the past.
In fact, there is no use to build incredible systems , be it cities, buildings, or other, if we cannot protect it or them in some form, from those cataclysm of nature created by celestial bodies from outer space (outside of earth’s orbits, or re-entering earth orbit) which would, in any event or in any case, destroy or damage or change earth’s so much as to destroy those buildings, the knowledge and make the understanding gained through knowledge, and the search of that knowledge to then be lost.

It’s better that it would be lost and regained, than if it would be lost forever, and never to be regained again.

In other words, that is a new way to save our work. (If not to save it from extinction.)

“The “lunar library” - something resembling a DVD that contains a 30-million-page archive of human history viewable under microscopes, as well as human DNA - was being carried on the Beresheet robot lander.”

So , anyways, after reading further, there is a need to have better control over those life form on the moon or other celestial bodies.
They just don’t want them to be there wandering and picking up some life wipping diseases from outer space with no man known remedies before it’s too late, or before it close to being too late (if it would have been late, from before it’s too late, as if it wasn’t late enough already).

The tardigrades are not “living” on the moon, they were dehydrated, which puts them in their suspended animation mode, in which they can endure extreme environments for extreme amounts of time. Currently, the scientists are confident that they can be revived if retrieved in some “near” future.

1 Like

Perhaps of concern to some, is that the little critters might be tougher and smarter than we ever imagined and they find a way to return on their own… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

They live in an hibernation mode, which , in their case, is their suspended animation mode, which means that they do not move , to conserve energy.
However, they are not dead, and don’t have to be revived from death, as if from a coma, or , is it?
So, they are more enduring of extreme conditions in that suspended animation state, in which state they can’t move around as they would in their other state.

Yes, the near future, is in relation and comparison to their capacity to live in those conditions, in suspended animation, for the periods of time that they are able to live in.
There may also be other conditions on the moon which may shorten or lengthen those periods of time, from which they can change back to their other state , while they are not in suspended animation.

Yes, that, plus, the fact that they can be revived to their state of living which is not in suspended animation, which is not a clone state, which is not like the Space Odyssey 2001 suspended animation that the astronaut are put into.

Alternately , the Tardigrades can also bring themselves beck out of this (or their) suspended animation state, which they can put themselves in, depending on the conditions they live in.
(Which conditions are the external conditions, and is directly related to their internal living conditions.)
(Input / Process / Output , in goes the garbage, from the external conditions, out goes the good .)

The was also a human DNA sample in that crash-landed rocket. How many bad sci-fi story plots can you dream up from that?

Apparently DNA sample do not live.

1 Like

Oh, it lived alright, because it’s just a string of inanimate molecules. Just waiting to be grafted into the DNA of one or more innocent tardigrades quietly enjoying some eons of suspended animation. Grafted by the the heat of a fiery explosion rapidly dissipating into space in a cold and rocky place with no insulating atmosphere. Or possibly because of the magnifying effect of solar electromagnetism (unshielded by any atmosphere), causing strands of organic DNA to be magnetically attracted to each other. You know how magnets work— Snap! and they’re instantly conjoined together. Much more so on the Moon, which has only 1/6th of the Earth’s gravity. Our experts are investigating data that says that DNA strings may have an affinity for snapping together, under high solar electromagnetism and low atmosphere and gravity environments. For now-- we don’t know.

Well, accidentally and coincidentally, some other fool experiment accidentally and coincidentally crashes a rocket right onto the same site. Thereby reanimating the human DNA-fused tardigrade or grades, depending on how many are decided to be most likely best for the plot progression. An infused tardigrade(s), all watered up and reanimated. (Well, I suppose that would be the death of it. Full of water and chemically exploded by water-ice expansion on the f-ing Moon. Not like reanimating safe and sound at home in the Kalahari or Death Valley or inside the ISS or wherever). In any event, the stage is set: The potential is there. Man-Tadigrade is primed. And set to wait for wait for the coming of an activating event. Could be a solar flare hotflash, could be the coming of a female protagonist. [Pan around silent Moonscape. No whistling ghost town sounds. Pan to an upward infinite-view starscape. Cue slow Earthrise, cue slow dramatic soundtrack rise to intensity, AND… cut to season-end credits].

So the viewer might be forgiven for wondering: Why would anybody randomly send a rocket full of water into space? Easily explained. Well, for the same reason that somebody thought it would be a good idea to spend probably the equivalent of many people’s annual earnings to fund a rocket launch and navigation project. And actually do it, with a payload of tardigrades, some human DNA, and a 30-million page archive of the history of humans.* And accidentally (or not?) crash it into the Moon. Earth eons have passed. The conditions for Man-Tardigrade to awaken (close comet pass, female protagonist) are now at hand, and incoming. [Cue dramatic music from last season, with an arrangement tweaked to reflect the eons]. :wink:

(Sorry, I’m kind of an aspiring writer among other Eve writers. We think about these kinds of jackassed things).

*BTW, I told my co-worker about this accidental (or not?) Moon garbage-strewing project during a stealth smoke break, and his immediate response was: “Whose 30 million page story of humans was it?” :slight_smile:

Oh, I don’t know, but living organism do have DNA which are the parts of their living system, and the properties related to it for procreation.
DNA can get changed by factors in which the DNA code gets modified, in living organism.
Dead organism also have DNA, and that DNA does not live.
Clones use DNA to be created, however, they cannot procreate at this point.
So, yes, that is related.
I don’t have the details, but I can study it due to the nature of the information system of my field of work.
However, as in any information system, it does require practical experience to get new data to integrate in the system to update it and upgrade it, even if during war or under constant, permanent and perpetual attacks…

Also, when I fund my project(s) and some unnamed entities which I did not name here since I did write that it was unnamed, attacks me and seek to forfeit my work and deny me the right to own the property of my work, and to own the credit of the benefit that it beings to society and the related social benefit derived from the work, it does not only kind of shows up on my system accounting, but it is also causing me to be required to account for it, since they are directly damaging my work and trying to get away with it , even if it is organized crime and that they are trying to get away with it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.