Team Security: Rules and Policy Clarifications

And, in fact, is required by CCP on some pursuits. According to previous guidance, for example, writing news articles for a fansite (as opposed to say, Massively) gets paid for w/ISK.

Hi,

A lot to unwrap, but the bottom line is ā€œdo not botā€. As most of the user agreements, EULA needs to cover as much as possible in a short amount of words and in the comprehensive manner (more or less). Hence the choice of words.
I personally think that this quote is rather self-explanatory, and accelerated rate means, well, the automation. Simple example: it might take a human to win a game of chess in 2 minutes, for bot it will be half a minute. Same here.
You are absolutely correct in your observation, automation exceeds the human input tremendously. And it is very much visible. There are many things that are considered EULA violation and botting is one of them.

It does not matter what exactly Ishtar does. It can engage in PVP, it can go search for drifters, it can dock and undock just for the sake of it. But if automation is used in any of those actions - that is considered botting. The gameplay as a whole is important, not the action itself.

We donā€™t really differentiate. No, actually thatā€™s not rightā€¦ We do differentiate the bot types, but again, the botting itself needs to be confirmed within our inner tools. When it does - we certainly take action.

3 Likes

I know what you mean!
Thatā€™s probably for the other teams to be discussed, but Iā€™ll certainly bring it up and see if something can be done :slight_smile:

And a bot will take X seconds to undock, clear a site, and warp to the next site, or report hostiles, with 0 human input, while a player at the keyboard will take an infinitely long time to do any of it with 0 human input. So itā€™s still an accelerated rate! :wink:

Thatā€™s not exactly how botting works in EVE, but who knows, maybe one day it might. Personally I have never seen the bot doing all of this together. Bots, or rather the human behind them (who is creating them) usually have very clear goals and rather simple means to achieve them.
But the phrasing of accelerated rate is absolutely correct, you are right.

I have a few questions, not because Iā€™m a devilā€™s advocate or something, just out of curiosity and nothing else.

Iā€™ve heard of a guy sold all his assets for cash while quitting EVE. The buyer might be punished (hopefully), but what about the seller and the confiscated assets? His assets were legit, not from hacked accounts, bots or any illegal sources. He was so determined not to go back to New Eden that he rather chose the quick cashgrab.

What happens if someone mass (mostly false) report bots when they feels like it? One of my past corp members was a bit racist and reported nullsec ratters of specific nationality. Does it violate any ToS?

As long as you keep regularly sending us nullsec bots to nuke in Yulai, Iā€™m happy. Especially the ones from a certain nullsec alliance. You know who you areā€¦

5 Likes

Good questions, thank you!

1. This happens, of course. This is no secret and I see no point in making this topic taboo of some sort. There are very different scenarios for this situation. Some of them are covered in the blog, itā€™s the part about ISK selling and possible consequences for individuals. Ironically, in this case the seller is more in danger from other capsuleers than from us. ISK selling is such a slippery slope, the initial success leads to eventual mistakes and, well, consequences.
    Besides, those people who are determined to get rid of anything, might have change of heart later on. But the assets are gone and, wellā€¦ the account is kind of damaged already.

2. Easy answer - nope, it does not. It brings some level of frustration to the team because we investigate the big amount of reports, and if there is nothing to act uponā€¦ well, what was the point of those? But again, reports on its own do not do harm, if the ratters did not use any modifications, they have nothing to worry about.

3 Likes

We definitely try! Always fishing for those big sharks out thereā€¦

4 Likes

Hello,
besides all the discussion I want to honestly thank you for the time spent explaining these things. One of the most prominent accusations always is that ā€œthe devs donā€™t careā€ and ā€œCCP doesnā€™t talk to the playersā€ or ā€œGMs only give scripted answers, the logs show nothingā€¦ā€.

What you are doing right now - the real interaction with the players - is a big service for your company and your player community. Probably more valuable than most announcements or blogs. Thank you.

10 Likes

rain falls on the templeā€¦

1 Like

The emails sent to security@ccpgames.com were forwarded to Team Security.
But we decided to slowly transition away of reporting any violations in the game to that specific email, as it was setup for something different, like InfoSec.

So now the best way to reach Team Security regarding botters, fraudsters, RMTers and hackers is via a support Ticket. This for sure will end up in our queue and get attention it deserves.

1 Like

Great article.

I have one question, one i wished i had asked at FF2022, but forgot.

In the figures of players online, can you see where the fight against bots and RMT started to work. In other words, is there a correlation between the amount of accounts banned and the sometimes lower amount of players online.

My gut feeling says it should be visible as space feels more lively then before (which would mean more people playing, bots lack liveliness).

1 Like

That is a good question and for that we will need to pull out the graphs of accounts banned from this years Fanfest 2022

To be honest with you, I see no correlation between the amount of accounts banned for Botting or other violations and the sometimes lower amount of players online. I think it has more to do with the real world situation, as pandemic is slowly going away and people are spending more time on different activities rather than video games.

Especially, the numbers of the suspended accounts are kinda huge, but when we brake it down to what we have said at Fanfest, the bigger portion of those numbers where actually not players, they were those sophisticated bot farms that were in the game just for one purpose, generating ISK to be sold on the back market. The same goes for fraudsters, they create accounts not to play the game but to move the stolen goods to the buyers and etc.
So while the suspended numbers are kinda huge, the amount of suspended actual players (and here I am speaking of those players who are / were active members of the EVE Online community) are relatively low and do not explain the sometimes lower amount of players online.

1 Like

I think it has more to do with real world events, such as the pandemic and certain countries not playing anymoreā€¦

3 Likes

ā€œThe EULA is dark and full of terrorsā€¦ā€

Indeed.

4 Likes

I commend your team for posting often and reminding players of your effectiveness.

Certain sov-owning alliances have developed a reputation as being filled with bots, to the point of being attacked at any opportunity on social media when they try to socialize with other players. Do you feel this reputation is earned ā€“ does any alliance truly have a greater proportion of botting, or is this just unfortunate casual racism?

1 Like

Thereā€™s a reason that a certain alliance gets caught botting all the time, and it has nothing to do with racismā€¦

1 Like

Question #2:

CCP has a CSM team which sign an NDA to allow them more access to internal discussions. There are a limited number of giant sov-owning organizations whoā€™s leaders all share your goal of eliminating botting and such from the game yet complain of not having the tools to do so. Do you think there would be merit in allowing an alliance to designate a working group member under NDA to coordinate with you in policing botting?

I wasnā€™t asking you. I was asking the employee with actual facts, thanks.