The art of criticizing

Inspired by Lord Ibrahim Tash-Murkon’s post “A Thread of Critical Words”. I agree with Lord Tash-Murkon, that criticizing should be done in a form of a loving disapproval, and should target for improvement. And I am honestly terrified by what certain people consider “criticism”.

First of all, the goal of a critic is to find errors and mistakes of the author, to point where he got wrong. If you instead of that taunt the author as a person, you are not a critic,

you are a jackass.

Lord Tash-Murkon has suggested that the criticism should be negative. And with this I disagree, it should not. There’s just a problem, that if criticism is completely positive, it means that you simply couldn’t find anything in author’s work that you could improve, it is humiliating yourself. On the other hand, finding positive sides can show that you did greater work, studying the subject, and that what you say is indeed a weighted and well-thought answer, and not a rant. During criticising it is important to always keep in mind, that your goal should be the improvement, and you should help the author. But if instead you want not to help, but to show that author was simply wrong and “can’t be right in anything”, you are not a critic,

you are a jackass.

Lord Tash-Murkon said that ones shouldn’t rebuff a critical statements. And with this I can’t agree as well. Critical statements should be made reasonable, and if they are, rebuffing them shouldn’t work. But what if they aren’t? Then the author should be able to rebuff that easily. You shouldn’t defend weak critics from rebuttal. Because critics should be able to prove that the wrong thing is wrong, and they can skip that part only if it is too obvious. And if you post criticism too fast without thorough investigation, that even you yourself might doubt your words, than you are not a critic,

you are a jackass.

And finally, disregarding how much you disagree with the author, you always should remain respectful and polite. You shall not insult and taunt, you need to show that you respect the person you are criticising, and then they will respect you in reply. And if they will respect you, they will actually read what you write them and what you want to tell them. Otherwise, they can simply discard what you say, they will stop considering you a reliable source, and all these goals for self-improvement will go down a rail. Even disapproval should be loving, as Lord Tash-Murkon said. Because if you disapprove not out of love, but out of hatred, you are not a critic,

you are a jackass.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Ria Nieyli and this is Jackass.

8 Likes

And by the way Diana does none of those things.

6 Likes

Kim’s sock puppet speaks again… :roll_eyes:

Perhaps you should tell all this to your master the queen of jackasses.

4 Likes

So yeah, that was my criticism.

2 Likes

Hey, Mika!

Been flying much lately? I know you almost exclusively fly with Diana Kim, but I don’t see you on many killmails with her lately. Busy funding her war by hunting baseliners?

6 Likes

I have to hand it to Lord Ibrahim. It’s just so very Amarr to try to improve people through pain and suffering.

Bravo.

4 Likes

Can someone explain, why all the trolls (well, at least three of them), bring my name into discussion that was neither about me, nor by me, nor even about discussion I’ve participated in? I haven’t posted anything in the Lord Tash-Murkon’s thread.

I guess I should now.

I’m doing this for your own good.

Really, pointing out the hypocrisy of what is said, given that Mika is on your payroll has one purpose only. Keeping in mind what you did, I hope you’ll see it some day, and I hope it won’t be too late.

Dismissed.

5 Likes

I think the thread is going very well.

6 Likes

It has its ups and downs. There’s some nice effort put in, but for the future perhaps a prerequisite effort level?

4 Likes

i like the style of the post.

That’s obvious, Diana. You’ve been “dunking” them all over the forum. Now they see the post, that “dunks” them indirectly from their point of view, and they try to claim it, that it’s your deed or somehow related to you, disregarding how absurd or outlandishly stupid their claim will be.

Take, for example, Makoto:

While flying with you is pretty much what majority of Caldari-aligned capsuleers did, I never was hiding that my allegiance is leaning towards the State, so, yes. I do fly with Caldari. And no, it is not related to the discussion, still she invokes it. Probably as a “proof” for her following blunt, like I would fund your war.

Why they do that? I can only make an assumption that they are afraid to oppose more and more people, who speak up against them. Isn’t it easy, to just say that all your “enemies” come from the source “A”?

And you know, Diana, even you yourself fall for this fallacy. I’ve noticed that you several times were blaming people in being gallente, while the reason they were attacking you were far from stroking Federal allegiance.

I am not going to argue with them, but I’m going to give you a friendly advice. Please be careful when you blame people in “being gallente”, sometimes it could be true, but sometimes it sounds as stupid as them blaming me in “being your sockpuppet”. Use your logic and reason to distinguish one from another before jumping to doubtful and underanalysed conclusions.

1 Like

Dissociative Identity Disorder in the flesh, people!

3 Likes

The first step to overcome a problem is to admit you have one, Miss Raske! You’re well on your way to be a more orderly person.

3 Likes

I’m rubber, you’re glue!

4 Likes

Oh no! Someone said mean things to me on the galnet!!! I’ll just pout about it while looking at my weapon laden ship in mt hangar…

We have ships for a reason, they have guns and missiles for a reason as well. If anyone in general is really that touchy about words, connect the dots.

:smirk:

5 Likes

I know you very well, Ms. Vess, and while I can’t agree with most things you say, I respect that you actually follow this simple rule.
But this hissing wriggling mass of worms, whom we won’t name (but can see and guess), who can bring neither reasonable argument, nor fight in space with their ships, heck, nor even fight in person, they are just annoying.

2 Likes

I had that tendency indeed. Lately I though try to reference them simply as Enemies of Caldari State rather than simply “gallente”, making a note that “The State has many enemies”.

And right there is a point we can agree on. You get annoyed, it more than likely will have some action behind it, or atleast potential action given whatever the situation is or calls for. That isn’t seen much and as far as I’m concerned would solve alot or atleast some of these pollution issues. A word offends you? Answer with your actions not your words.

After all, after losing a few crews over petty bickering, only a complete psycho would not second guess whether the “offense” is truely worthy of a response.

3 Likes