The greatest Blog in EVE history is coming to a close

Indeed.

@Pix_Severus

2 Likes

Then you should look into a mirror, because apparently youā€™re seeing a problem where there is none.

The moderators and CCP staff value freedom of speech over some peopleā€™s needs to censor others.
They moderate behaviour, not words.

As it should be.

Most of us are well aware of the difference between the two. Thatā€™s why he can tell you to ā– ā– ā– ā–  off, as you probably should, but itā€™s not okay to throw the forum equivalent of a temper tantrum, which he isnā€™t doing.

Addendum: Yes, Iā€™m aware he didnā€™t tell you to ā– ā– ā– ā–  off. I had Nicolai Serkanner in mind and it spilled over into the post. That does not change the vallidity of the statement.

1 Like

On to more interesting matters:

@Pix_Severus

Are you ever coming back?
Would a reason help?

1 Like

Just a polite suggestion: read the definition of freedom of speech first. Then I think you should read carefully forum moderation policy.

And why donā€™t you just ā– ā– ā– ā–  off with our hypocritical politeness ? :smiley:

2 Likes

Maybe Aesir should start his own forum. He could moderate it properly.

2 Likes

I reinstalled EVE a few days back after building a new PC, but I havenā€™t found the time to login yet. I do have some unfinished business to take care of in-game, so you might see me around space soon. Drop me a mail if you want to chat sometime.

1 Like

Yes, he will take you to space-court and jail you for space-crimes against humanity.

1 Like

Greifing is allowed, harassment is not.

So following someone after they keep moving all around new eden just to gank them, is not allowed.

But just simply ganking them once or twice, in the same system, is okay, even if you dont ask for a dime.

1 Like

:thinking:

An Embrace?

Consequences and permanent loss are an intrinsic part of this game. If someone is throwing out accusations of sociopathy and sadism, or even making death threats because someone blew up their digital spaceship, then they shouldnā€™t be playing EvE.

What were those tools?

How is that dumb, though? Piracy and extortion are supposed to be part of EvE.

1 Like

If you inform your local agent about them, they will gladly come in and gank and kill them and revoke their permit.

The thing is, yes, we are not everyone and cannot be everywhere in hisec. No one said we are. Just like the Police arent everywhere, all the time, in society. But if you call the police, they come, and if the police see a crime in progress, they will intervene.

Anyone who has reason to be ganked, sure.

Nothing wrong with that.

Thanks. Dont forget, this is a video game, not real life.

Of course it has to happen in hisec, and to rookies.

Players who are in low or nullsec, already have the mentality to go out into the void and face dangers unseen. They dont need the Code to remind them of the harshness of EVE, because they are already in an environment where everyone else around you will remind you of it.

Players who are new, are the best players to gank. It teaches them early on about EVE, preventing them from wasting money or time on a game that they may never like. Its a small kill, so it isnt hard to replace or get a new one, as ventures are one of the most ganked mining ships, and yet they are handed out for free. It has the added bonus of fighting bots, as Ventures are also one of the most used mining ships for botters. It helps with player retention.

There are so many reasons why its better to gank a new player.

There is nothing wrong with joining a corp or group that is better than you.

Why? Whats the differentiation here?

Code doesnt really gank for profit.

If you take a look at 20, 30 of the most recent ganks, most of them are completely not-for-profit. We dont gank retreivers and miners to make ISK.

What???

Most of us arent making insane money in hisec.

Let me take the last 15 kills on Zkillboard for you, at the current time of writing, on 18:21 EDT, June 28 2020:

No profit

No profit

No profit

Barely any profit

No profit

No profit

Barely any profit

No profit

Barely any profit

Barely any profit

No profit

No profit

No profit

No profit

No profit

So out of the last 15 kills, only 4 gave barely any profit.

Code isnt in this to make tons and tons of ISK.

1 Like

The only person he would be moderating is himself.

2 Likes

Yet another benefit for everybody.

4 Likes

Fair enough. Iā€™ve noticed that the complaining I see in local has started to jade me, and I was wondering if it was a defense mechanism in response to the constant hate being spewed your way.

Except CODE. arenā€™t actually murdering, maiming, or brutalizing anyone. No one is being sent to the hospital. They are not the kind of scum who beat and torture people IRL.

In EvE, PvP encounters can happen without the slightest warning, anywhere, at any time, for any reason. CODE. are not bullies, they are obstacles, and like all obstacles in this game you must improvise and adapt in order to overcome them.

Screaming at them to leave you alone is just as likely to work as it is with the Serpentis dreadnoughts that spawn in the moon belts at NSC.

This, right here? This is a legitimate criticism to make. I have no idea if itā€™s true or not

I think Iā€™ve seen him respond positively to something onceā€¦

Once.

The rules on this forum are very loose, but I donā€™t think Nicolai is a troll. Heā€™s just very negative.

[squints at the thumbnail]

@Pix_Severus Anyone ever told you that your blog avatar looks like a psychic mastermind? Itā€™s got the same creepy-cool vibe Iā€™d expect from one.

Okay, thatā€™s actually a solid argument. When you message the player afterward, are you in-character as an ā€œAgent of the New Orderā€ or do you just explain the facts of life to them (and maybe send them a couple of million ISK)?

1 Like

Being able to wardec without restrictions, at least not the restrictions we have now. Having the old online indicator allowed for precise wardeccing instead of blanket carpet bombing like PIRAT does. Those two things allowed for smaller, even solo, wardeccing of single corps or alliances.

Then they changed all that and forced wardeccers into impersonal blobs deccing random groups and the more restraints CCP applied the bigger and more impersonal deccing groups were forced to become. And as it all had gotten out of hand (through CCPā€™s own choices and changes) they did the draconian stuff we have now, it could have been done so much better: more elegant and effective. But Alas: CCP doesnā€™t know their own game and the CSM didnā€™t care other than getting rid of wardecs.

I worded it wrong, or rather I meant it differently from how it came out. To me there IS no ā€œgriefingā€ in a pvp sandbox so we shouldnā€™t NEED a ā€œif you demand payment itā€™s now a business model and no longer seen as griefingā€.

I have sent people isk after a gank - but it is very rare. There are a few players that have a good attitude about the process, but most go straight back to mining.

As for CODE. being full of opportunists, or whatever: it is a diverse group. There are guys like Lewak and Aaaarrgg that are pure Code enforcers, through and through. There are a lot of other characters that enforce the Code according to their own personal vision. We have elite multi-boxing freighter gankers, we also have experts at baiting macho mission runners, and we have people that are more ā€œmetaā€ - focusing on scams and grifts that teach Eve players to think rather than shuffling along, half-asleep in a fog of entitlement. Everyone is united in a love of James 315 and a belief in The Code.

Remember, highsec is worth fighting for.

1 Like

I caught someone in low sec, tackled him and decided to ransom him. Open convo, state the ransom amount and gave him 30 seconds. He responded in a way that didnā€™t really acknowledge he was going to pay or had paid, I didnā€™t see any wallet flashing so I blew him up. Turns out he did pay, just very late but technically still in time.

So I paid him back double the ransom amount. It was peanuts anyway.

Okay, could you direct me to someplace I could read about this in more detail? I get the feeling itā€™s a topic extensive enough that you wouldnā€™t be inclined to write thousands of words about it to educate me.

This sounds like a reasonable point of view. Iā€™m not sure if I agree or disagree, but I can understand why you see things that way.

Thanks for the explanation. I donā€™t see a reason to complain about CODE. being opportunists, anyway. Hell, with the way suicide ganking works I actually expect it!

Itā€™s not like an ideal target is guaranteed to present itself at any given moment; youā€™ve got to seize opportunities when they present themselves, no matter how rare or commonplace they are.

This is EvE; everywhere is worth fighting for! :grin:

I like this. Itā€™s honorable piracy. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I can do both, but generally I dont push too hard on the 10 million isk if i find out that they are genuinely new. You dont know how many people who claim to be new, but then turn around and say ā€œHA im actually a 10 year old vet with 100 billion isk this loss means nothing to meā€ or ā€œI used to be in Goon/PL/BL and i have powerful friends who are coming for youā€. Yeah, those people arent new, and I treat them as such.

As I said before, if they are genuinely new and have a good attitude or are actually interested in learning, I teach them and throw ISK at them.

I also have an AG persona that i use as well, and i help out new players that way too.

1 Like

Sounds fair to me!