The like and get likes thread II

Today I’ve learned something very important. How to turn a video into an animated GIF. :popcorn:

cut

8 Likes

Yes, yes.

6 Likes

Hehe, but these are really the things that could be improved, maybe getting less expensive in process. And more safe.

6 Likes

You can’t improve Physics so they stop being a b*tch.

Digging soil is expenesve because soil is heavy, unstable, and moving it up requires a lot of energy to increase its potential energy. Thsi si why we have that thign that goes udner gorund… on tracks… and call it a underground railway or subway or tube. And it doesn’t haves a stop in every home and it’s bloody expensive to build because physics are physics. Calling it “Loop” won’t change that.

Same goes with Hyperloop. Extreme void is very dificult to achieve because at one point you’re just scrapping a few mollecules per cycle of your void pump, which means you msut keep the pump running forever to keep scrapping random mollecules who happen to hit it. And one you’ve got void, ANY point of failure will let air in at Mach 1, and since that air haves a mass, it’s gonna hurt, the more the larger the hole and thus the heavier the mass of air rushing in.

And as for the rockets as vehicles… well, a commercial rocket is deemed “reliable” if it only fails 1 in a 100 times (99% succes rate). That’s like saying that, if you drive your car to job and back home twice a day, it will disintegrate into a total wreck just once each 50 days… And that’s how reliable a reliable rocket is. But then, factor the size of the FBR: once loaded with fuel, the chemical energy stored inside its tanks wlll equal that of 500,000 tons of TNT. That is, a fully fueled FBR will be a HALF MEGATON bomb ready to be lit and, with any luck, launch stuff into space rather than go kaboom and flatten everything in 5 kilometers around and shatter every glass pane in 15 kilometers… which is gonna happen anyway once each 100 launches, best case. That’s a price to launch stuff into space, but, to travel to another city on Earth? No way.

6 Likes

These are all challenges, and engineers are all about tackling challenges. Basically like when these rockets that are landing upright. Why the hell not? :wink:

I imagine people would employ robots and Tesla semis for digging and use the energy from sun. Of course its expensive initially but everything gets cheaper when there is energy abundant and robots work for you using that energy.

Imagine underground cities. :star_struck:

4 Likes

eh eh heh

5 Likes

Physics are not a challenge. They’re the Law™. :sunglasses:

I have some experience with tunnels (someone close to me worked digging them) and they are a really difficult thing to do. They’re not a new idea, and if we don’t live in underground cities or bore our cities like swiss cheese it’s not because nobody ever thought of it, but because it’s expensive and difficult to do. It requires energy, time, skilled eprsonnel and there’s a non-trivial chance to mess up when in urban areas.

5 Likes

Robots can cement brick walls so far, we need new robots that can dig on earth more automatically and remotely.
We can test a smaller prototype version on the lower gravity Moon.
That would work great on Mars.

Good automation and control is important to improve, but security and , how to solve natural disaster problem is also important, as automated pit digging can put men in it as fast as it can take it out of it.
That is, even if the pit is built like a triangle.

I learned a few science relations in Psychology.
Chemistry < Physics and now I read
Physics < Biology, but I forgot what it is, or what it was.
I just Googled it.
It might be wrong, or inaccurate, I didn’t verify yet.
Astronomy (not astrology) is the most complex science, which Stephen Hawking also worked on.
I think, after this would be
Biology < Psychology < Sociology
Mathematics is the science which does bridge all of those sciences together.

5 Likes

We use the same physics to do hard work for us. Its just clever, new use of physics that is challenging. :wink:

It requires energy, time, skilled eprsonnel and there’s a non-trivial chance to mess up when in urban areas.

Of course, but what other great way to improve on all those if not work on it? There is so much to be improved, making it less expensive, more energy friendly, more safe.

5 Likes

5 Likes

What a crazy tree. :joy:

Bingo! :ok_hand:

6 Likes

Left-click mouse, PgDn, Ctrl + C, release left-click, move mouse cursor over to Notepad, Ctrl + V to paste the selected data (whatever that was).

Good point, however, proper automation may require more legal obligation to fulfill, to preserve people’s work.
The same as it’s illegal to discriminate against people’s work if they have a criminal record, so should union and system protect people’s work , or , at least, their means of living, or to earn an income to earn a living, or pay for their house, and have their marital needs fulfilled.
It takes families to make people and it takes work to feed families.

In other words, even though it’s technically feasible, it’s not mainstream, or the trend, and, it may require more work, as automation will also require more work in certain sectors due to social structure and other details which are not always published everywhere.

Automation also takes time, and little bits of automation can often be implemented before the full automated system is active and operational.
Operational does not mean that it is functioning technically.
It (operational) rather means that it is popular enough to receive administrative support, and operate as an active system.

Many project go unfunded, while, even though technically feasible, legally feasible in theory, but, due to competition, potential illegal activity which authorities don’t prosecute and sometimes even deliberately help to get away with the damage they cause to society, while trying to focus on false risk, to get tax from the same party they sell their notion of fear to, interferes against the operational feasibility of the project.
I have over 100 of those that I designed all by myself and I’m still in the phase before implementation due to lack of operational support.
Of course I could use Crowd-Funding for a few of those, as, when I created them, designed them, designed them from analysis, did the analysis for them before the design, used the design to create new system designs, there was no crowd-funding back then.

I do have more operational support but I can get more , and the legal feasibility for the difference in finance would just about meet the balance requirement for accounting.

Edit:
It’s a bad idea to automate systems and leave them without income, and create social problems which will negate the benefits of automation.
That goes with the previous analysis from back before 2000.
Now, other IP issues matter, including industrial intelligence, and many systems which are operational are not published due to security risks.
There’s always the risk of control problem, which most companies had to deal with, since the hardware is designed with electronic interface which is activated by systems which can be interacted with by other systems.
It works like a code, and once the code is used, it can affect control, even if there is a way to detect the intrusion.
Of course, there are ways to deal with the intruder, but when it’s not done, the control change occurs.

5 Likes

Well, digging a tunnel isn’t that easy. It requires intelligence, a human mind. Making an AI who can do it on its own will be a massive challenge because soil is extremely variable. You never know in full certainty what’s ahead, what challenge it will pose and what might be the best solution.

Authonomous surface machinery might come at some point, but will be sooner than underground machinery, and let alone a fully authomated underground operation, end to end. We’re talking 22nd century at least.

Very probably, if the ever build a underground colony on Mars, it will be a formidable challenge even with the simplest technique of all, dig & fill: dig a trench, build something inside, then fill the hole with the soil you removed and presto!, you’ve got an underground facility! (This is how underground parking lots are built, btw)

5 Likes

And now, off to bed! Nighties lovelies!

5 Likes

Ah…
AI can only be done with human intelligence.
And if your AI system isn’t up to requirement, it won’t work.
Cement brick walling is a skilled trade, and so is digging.
Digging can include more one trade skill.
Machine operation for digging is not without training, and the design to make those machines also take work.
It’s more cost-effective to design those than to make automated systems.
Only when the market adjusts to make the new system possible, feasible, worthwhile, does it happen.
Not the other way around, otherwise, we’d already be in Alpha-Centaurii, and the other system which is getting closer as we go around the Galaxy.

Edit:
My father has 6 skilled trades but they are all in local unions with political problems.
I have to go to Europe and all those unions are only related there with international unions.

AI for skilled trades requirement is much more high and complex than systems which don’t have 600 pages of regulations which change every years.
The equipment to run those systems are more expensive than mainframes.

He’s also retired and doesn’t have to train me, since his retirement gives him the right not to work.

It’s one thing to enslave someone into wrongdoing or error, and ridicule, or contempt, something legal system can do.
The problem is , when they don’t do it in time , and cause loss of work and help people who steal information systems to escape.
It may look good for popularity, and bring in more money, which, if the same court don’t prosecute , is an operational system.

Also, of note, operational system may seem to look like an Operating System , but neither are operation systems.

Edit 2:
Yeah, I’m sure I could design system to do that before the 22nd century.

As for the system design, without the implementation and scheduling phase, the game Outlook and most likely Outlook 2 which I just tried a demo, used to have this.
You can build on the surface, then build one level lower, build, then one level lower, down to the 2nd level.
Then build, then one level lower, to the 3rd level and so on.
I think it stops at 4 levels, I forgot.
It reaches a limit, and there’s limitation on time in relation to the type of soil.

This should be operational by then, however, I don’t think it is going to be easier to get.
Many automated are very expensive, even if they require limited manpower and wages to function.
Some other automated system are extremely low-cost in comparison, because of market adjustments and demand.

In other words, if companies don’t pay for design to implement automated digging, there simply won’t be any until an entrepreneur decided to pay for it for himself.
I mean, I can send millions of billions of proposals, if I don’t get paid for 1 one of them, I am wasting my time, instead of keeping the work for myself, and getting my money for them from other source.
I rather be my own boss for them, than to work for some other entities who never paid me enough for them for over 25 years and try to blame me for being too poor, like if it’s my fault, and the fact they don’t pay and didn’t pay me enough is their own intentions.

I personally don’t find this friendly, and it won’t feed my family nor my army.

5 Likes

Good night, lovelies. :heart:

6 Likes

After some thinking and watching programs about space, I think the best compression algorithm is not win zip or 7 zip or some other other, its the universe itself. Stuff can be compressed so much. :thinking:

Timezone everyone. :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

2 years ago.
The existence of gravitational waves has been confirmed after two black holes were detected colliding, proving a prediction from Einstein’s 100-year-old theory of general relativity.
102 years ago.

5 Likes

Good morning LAGLers… a bit later than usual.

6 Likes

On the topic of musk, he is pushing the boundaries. We as a humanity need these kind of people, where would have been had not newton, nicolai tesla or davinci had not pushed boundaries?. Or the first cave man that decided to test his theory on how to meld wood and stone into an axe…

Now in my opinion, this is where money should go…

5 Likes