The Like and Get Likes thread III

" If I had one wish that I could wish this holiday season, it would be for all the children of the world to join hands and sing together in the spirit of harmony and peace." - Steve Martin

:christmas_tree:

10 Likes

Time to go to sleep… nighties lovelies!

Also: it’s an old video, but the concept is interesting…

…apparently the buildings also have interiors. :astonished:

8 Likes

I see the buildings are empty inside, windows are visible on the other side thru those on the front. The last one only had a bed in it to save game tho.

Every city on such scale with interiors would have to be fully procedurally generated in real time from designed assets that are repeated with some procedural variations.

8 Likes

Well, first I thought the buildings were solid blocks, but then I noticed the see through windows and how the buildings are actually hollow (maybe with doors and inside walls?) which was not a feature in SC2000. Guess the floors and floor plans are generated?

7 Likes

I jsut finished watching “Don’t look up” since my right arm is messed up and can’t really hold a mouse for long. It’s a nice film, obviously the impact sequence is just Hollywood stuff because the real ting wouldn’t be much of a show, just an insanely bright flash (would blind anyone and anything looking in its direction, horizon to horizon) and then different degrees of bad sheete moving freakingly fast compared to us but kind of slow compared to the actual size of Earth. The primary and secondary devastations would take hours to happen, and then tertiary devastation could last literal weeks before burning stuff stopped burning. And then would come years of utter misery and widesprea death.

But now I’m off to sleep, so please play no exctinction level events for the next hours. Nighties lovelies!

7 Likes

People have been saying that the businessperson in that movie Peter Isherwell is based on Elon Musk. It may be by some, but I see more to it. The character’s appearance is based on Craig Federighi, Senior Vice President of Software Engineering at Apple Inc, who is well-known in the tech world. Also, Isherwell approach to asteroid mining is based on non other than Peter Diamandis himself who is a huge proponent of exponential technologies and is an early pioneer in space mining.

7 Likes

Isherwell reminded me of the Steve Jobs persona, but is clearly a portmanteau of big tech celebrities. Isherwell is not a longtermist, though, despite having a deus ex machina plan B. He tried to profit from the end of the world, rather than focus on GTFO and f… the poor with Government’s money.

My own opinion on the Musk has been going down from “charlatan” to “narcissistic bastid”, specially since I learned of the whole longtermist crap…

7 Likes

Being short sucks. Once the chair is close enough to the floor so your legs rest in a good position, then the desk is awfully above your elbow, which means using the mouse and keyboard with your forearms hovering in the air in a “chicken wing” position, hanging from the wrists and shoulders which means eventually developing Mouse Shoulder (and elbow pain, and carpal tunnel). As I’ve got in my right arm. My right shoulder and elbow are in a pain strike and barely tolerate typing this or mousing for a few clicks at a time. Fun times unless the pain goes away by monday so I can at least work…

Tall people complain that they don’t fit anywhere. Hah! Try being short so nothing and nowhere fits your short legs, short arms, short hands, short fingers and short body…

7 Likes

Wee, 3 diclofenac (aka Voltaren) pills later, looks like I might get some sleep without the shoulder and elbow hurting too much! (Of course, now my stomach is a mess and I’ve been experiencing headache all day, but I can sleep with that). Nighties lovelies!

6 Likes

What’s more hilarious than having two national holidays one day apart? Have them on a year when they are tuesday and thursday! Thus I’ll work december 5th but not the 6th, the 7th but not the 8th, and then the 9th maybe we won’t open the agency… these two holidays usually make for a slow week and this year it’s nuts. Anyway 6 pills later my shoulder still hurts a little but I can move it again, so off to bed and tomorroww to work. Nighties lovelies!

6 Likes

That is a lot of pills, have you thought about changing something so you will not live in pain? If the position is not ergonomic, you can always ask for more ergonomic stuff.

Or changing job to some less demanding from body. I am sitting 7 hours a day, but thats the maximum, and I have to make a few km trip on bicycle nearly every day. I feel better on bicycle than sitting still. Human body was made to move. We are really bad at doing the right stuff tho, the right kind of movements…

6 Likes

As a massage therapist, i stress this to my sedentary clients that we are not made to sit or stand long periods of time

7 Likes

School does not approve of this message

7 Likes

One of the things I miss most from having my apartment is my computer desk. It’s still stored but can’t fit it at my parents’, and it had an apporpiate minimum height of 65 cm (60 cm would be ideal for me, but 65 was pretty comfortable). Now my computer is at a standard desk 75 cm high, and since it’s a nested desk on a library can’t be moved nor lowered. Guess that if pain goes too bad I’ll have to consider adding some kind of sliding shelf for the keyboard & mouse, or maybe even a smaller desk on wheels that fits under the current desk… my work desk at the office is a vintage office desk from the 1970s and it was set at 70 cm high. But at least is large enough so I can rest my forearms on it.

And now i’m off to bed. Nighties lovelies!

Also: I had a cat that weighed roughly 3x 10^-30 solar masses, too

He was a black male with yellow eyes and a funny array of stray white hairs on the belly, and was quite the brute for a cat without breed. Also was shy and scary and very attached to me, and we lost him in a long exhausting sad story.

6 Likes

There used to be a tree in my garden that used gaslighing on my children. So I cut it down and it didn’t bear any more fruit…

7 Likes
8 Likes

The last two messages make no sense, then, this must be the LAGL thread! :grin:

And I am out to bed, for a not change. Nighties lovelies!

Also: incoming!

Because, who wouldn’t like to launch an asteroid over somewhere each now and then?

6 Likes

I confess, I launch them on the biggest cities and see what are effects.

6 Likes
9 Likes

BEHOLD!

This is how some species of humans will look like, I think. Replacing the animals that lived, filling niches in environment. In this case filling the elephant niche.

7 Likes