The Like and Get Likes thread III

The time is here, the place is now: I am going to sleep. Nighties lovelies!

Also: them insidious Canadians…

Highly intelligent Canadian superpigs are invading the USA… like, really. Anyway here in my neck of the woods we too have a problem with hybrid boars, which some idiots bred with domestic pigs hoping that tamer boars would be easier to hunt and larger litters would allow a higher hunt rate. And now those tamer boars are messing around cities, since some idiots just couldn’t help to feed them wild boars, and then the boars learned of garbage as a source of food and being tamer than pure wild boars they aren’t that easy to scare away from people.

5 Likes

But its a fresh food that comes directly to your house, what can be better?

People stopped hunting them? Maybe its like in Japan, when some older farmers stopped to hunt boars and they were coming eating their crops. In Japan farmers had to be given guns to hunt boars, and women used firreworks to scare those boars away from fields. They also had traps to catch them and then were eaten, free meat.

5 Likes

Well, the elephant in the room is that there are no predators for boars. If people dislike having hunters in the forests, what they feel about wolves or bears is far worse… So, hunters being the only actual predator of boars, and hunting being tightly regulated in a country filled to the brim with forest-goers and tourists, culling down the numbers of boars only happens when the authorities explicitly command it -and only until the population density hits a set threshold. A similar issue happens with rabbits, lack of actual predators causes trouble in some places, but not as widespread as boars because natural diseases cull the numbers of rabbits each now and them.

Also people don’t really think of boars as food. The usual licensed hunting covers well enough the small demand for boar meat… I can’t think of any traditional dish using boar instead of pig, actually. Whereas mushrooms and even snails are a part of traditional dishes, meat from forest animals is not in the culinary radar of Catalonian people… :thinking:

5 Likes

I did eat a wild boar meat, it was tasty. Very lean meat. Probably people forgot recipes in some parts of world, or how to prepare them, farming being so widespread.

6 Likes

I haven’t eaten any wild boar meat yet. How different is it than regular pork meat?
Timezone.

5 Likes

I’ve had it twice and to me it tasted spicy. Like meat cooked with a lot of spices, but it was its own taste, guess that from all the wild stuff the animal eats. Both times I had it stewed in dices, dunno if it can be cut/cooked as a steak.

5 Likes

I had it cold cut. Very dark. It had lot of taste, but from the meat itself, the spices vere not much, and it was lightly smoked. It was good.

6 Likes

That’s interesting. I accidentally ate pork meat back like 16-17 years ago, on two occasions, and to be honest: the taste wasn’t terrible. But it was very fatty. Not good for cardiovascular health. Then there is also Taenia worm.

5 Likes

When I have seen it, before tasting it, I was afraid there may be something offputting in it, but there was nothing offputting.

Wild boars seem to have spicy meat from the things they eat in wild.

Its rare to get tho.

4 Likes

Strangely, seems that swines and cattle got their worms from humans. :thinking:

I wonder how would they feel knowing that. :face_with_peeking_eye:

5 Likes

Well, it depends a lot on the actual piece being cut. Some cuts are deemed lean meat, unlike veal or beef. But then there are many ways to eat pork, and some pieces are extremely fatty, and also some confections like sausages. In one way or another, the only pig part that’s not eaten it’s the tail, eyes and teeth… My mother does eat pig hoofs, which are cooked in the oven and then meat is removed from the fingers and bones by chewing it off, like eating chicken drums but much smaller and fatty as hell. I know, it sounds freaky (I don’t appreciate seeing her eat them, ugh), but, its a traditional dish and they can be either “feet” or “hands” depending on whether they’re the front or back hoofs; when “hands” are used, there’s a classical joke to call them “minister’s hands” (as in, “politician’s hands”, meaning politicians are pigs, but a lot less useful).

And now i’m off to bed to try and get some sleep. Nighties lovelies!

PS: deep fried pig fat and bacon (in a special cut) are popular snacks in Spain, and then there’s ham (jamón) which is a whole topic in itself.

4 Likes

Those appear to be the newest foundings.

When chatting with ChatGPT time flies. It misattributed “Chip Da Ripper freestyle” a.k.a. “Interior Crocodile Alligator” song lyrics to Three 6 Mafia and named the song as “Ridin’ Spinnaz”.

4 Likes

Nothing to be ashamed of. We as a family often go to the tripe soup restaurant to eat all kinds of animal offals. There they also make lamb hoofs soup with bones and meats in it. The meat comes off the bone with the slightest touch.

I believe the tripe soup and its related offal dishes originate from Thrace region.

But I can’t keep myself from asking that isn’t it hard to chew on pig hoofs when cooked in an oven? The meat loses humidity and becomes stiff, thus hard to chew. At least that’s the case with lamb hoofs.

Timezone!

4 Likes

Well I don’t know how they’re done, my mother buys them pre-cooked. I think they’re stewed in the oven, maybe. But the result is like you say with lamb hooves, the meat comes apart just chewing it and sucking the bones. Also there are many offal dishes around here, but they aren’t as popular with younger folks as with older people who oftentimes could only afford offals for meat and thus learned to appreciate them because there wasn’t anything else. Guess that having plenty of “luxurious” meats thanks to mass poduction has made us picky… Even a well known dish, "callos a la madrileña" (cow tripe in the Madrid style) has been “updated” using stuff other than cow tripe, even cod!

4 Likes

Hehe, silly engineers.

4 Likes

Time to go to sleep… nighties lovelies!

4 Likes

Time to go to sleep… nighties lovelies!

Also: huh… it’s kind of epic…

…but the AI used to generate the drawings from video footage needs some improvement with weird shadows coming in and out

4 Likes

Wait till you see King Herod the Great screen with “actor” in the background. :face_with_peeking_eye:

There are of course also other things, like Moses hand.

4 Likes

But, can you refute that Moses didn’t have 7 fingers? Or that King Herod wasn’t known for his personal asistant Johanna of Derp? Eh? Eh?

This kind of errors tell about how do these AIs work. The AI knows that, statistically, there uses to be something looking like a finger by something else looking like a finger, and also knows how visually large should the hand look according to statistics, but it doesn’t knows what a finger IS, nor how many of them should be. And what a finger looks like statistically is just a number generated by the brightness and color variances of pixels, which interacts with other numbers generated in the same way. It’s all a cheat, the AI fakes images but doesn’t really create them nor understand them. When we input words (character strings) the AI jus tmatches those character strings to its database of data stolen from authors and digs out statistical correlations to generate a bitmap and hope for the best.

4 Likes

There are many fingers. There can be three or 6 on one hand, dont judge. :face_with_peeking_eye:

Well, there are different definitions of fingers, and ideas what they should do to be called like that. That only proofs that finger is an abstract idea, and even when having conversations with AI, it comes to conclusion that while the norm is 5, number of fingers can vary, so why not throw more into image? One could say its a “licentia graphica”, similar to licentia poetica. :point_up:

4 Likes