The Like and Get Likes thread III

It is a very simplistic, yet successful design. I remember him too, from 7Up commercials.

Recently I had a very peculiar experience.
My friend always used to boast that when she has a kid, she’s going to be so proud of her of all the successes the kid’s going to have in life. Fast forward 10 months and she and her husband had a boy and I asked if I could contribute to her kid’s wellbeing. She wanted a wristwatch for her child, not just any brand but a Patek. Months ago, I promised my friend that I’d support her, her husband and the child so I was determined to keep my promise. I took the first plane to Switzerland and after browsing at the head dealership of Patek Philippe, I bought a Aquanaut model for 18.000 Swiss Francs. Then I returned back to Türkiye with the watch and the box and everything. When me and my friend met again, I gave her the box with a big smile on my face, she opened it but she frowned. I asked “What’s wrong? I brought you what you asked for. This is the best I can afford.”. Then she simply said with her usual lisp: “LordO, I said buy patik(baby shoes), not Patek.”

5 Likes

But now you have the watch. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Sadly I don’t. :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Hello forum :smiley:

That reminds me of Pulp Fiction and Christopher Walken’s monologue about the gold watch :rofl:

And that was a cute story, thank you!

A friend of mine gifted me a Samsung Watch for my birthday. I felt all embarrassed when I didn’t even know how it works :grimacing:

Fifie misses her mech wristwatch.

5 Likes

Patik? Those in Spanish are called “patucos”, and now i am sensing a common root to the word… it’s etymology time!

…but might be difficult to find. The Spanish etymology for “patuco” feels it might come from Aragonese “peduco” (thick wool sock) which in turn comes from Catalan “peüc” (which is the same thing as a patik or a patuco, but also for a kind of thick short socks used by older people) and in turn comes from Catalan “peu” (foot).

Time to go to sleep, with ordinary thick cotton socks of the kind used for playing tennis. Nighties lovelies!

Also: a powerful talisman it is…

…I wonder now if he doesn’t wants the sword to help other people, what does he want it to? Is he a MMORPG palyer?

5 Likes

Helloo forum :grinning:

Maybe he just wants to put it on his wall :woman_shrugging:
My dad bought a copy of the Atlantean sword 30yrs ago. He never helped anyone with it ( lmao ). He just put it up on the wall so his friends could gush over it. It’s still there on the wall despite my mom harping on him to take it down :smile:

Fifie, blademaster.

6 Likes

I, too, did a research. The word appears to be originate from Greek word patikós πατικός. “light shoe, slipper”. So I can conclude that it is Latin origin and not Turkic.

Timezone.

5 Likes

Time to go to sleep… nighties lovelies!

5 Likes

Gah!

4 Likes

So now CCP has got money for a new game which will somehow involve blockchain technology. I am undecided on what negatively impresses me more, whether CCP developing another failed game, or that stillbirth project involving blockchain.

Whatever it is, it’s being made by CCP, thus it’s gonna be dead on arrival if it ever arrives, and i’m gonna barf if anyone mentions “play to earn” related to that project.

Anyway it’s time to go to bed, so… nighties lovelies!

4 Likes

meanwhile, there are still some games being created that are games, and not blockchains or schemes of taking money from people.
Just when you see how game world now can look, how it can be created…

Maybe we will be able to make such worlds for ourselves soon enough, or AI will make it…

Imagine for example such environoment, but within EVE Online, where people can make fantastic locations on planets and in abandoned outposts on planets or in stations in space, just by clicking “New Mission!”. That would be so nice. :face_holding_back_tears:

5 Likes

unfortunately, someone noticed. :face_with_peeking_eye:

4 Likes

Them snitches! Why can’t a man bring some firewood home?

4 Likes

Time to got to sleep… nighties lovelies!

Also: there is no wrong way to hold a…

…oh, nevermind. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

4 Likes
4 Likes

I have been a good Bing… and you better like me.

(25:06)

This has some really great science fiction dialog. Oh what, it’s not fiction. It’s current.
:crazy_face: :robot::running_man:

5 Likes

Time to go to sleep… nighties lovelies!

5 Likes

And back to bed, tonight we’re switching to DST thus we’ll have one hour less to sleep. Not my favorite day of the year…

5 Likes

R.I.P. William A. Wulf, and Gordon E. Moore.

5 Likes

THe “new” field of computer sciences is old enough that pioneers are already dying of old age…

And now I’m off to bed. Nighties lovelies!

Also: One Web has gone from bankrupcy to almost be ready to deliver satellite internet…

https://oneweb.net/resources/successful-launch-36-oneweb-satellites-isronsil-marks-key-milestone-enable-global

…using a mix of rocket systems including Indian ones like this final launch. These satellites should be in their final orbits and all systems tested by end of year so One Web can begin serving to telephone operators who will sell the service to their customers (unlike StarLink which is sold directly to private users).

5 Likes