The Like and Get Likes thread III

That’s an interesting read, but I wonder how would that ancient writer deal with the current trend to write stuff that’s meant to be forgotten as soon as it’s read. The inmortaliy of writing vs the 10 seconds attention span of Twitter… :thinking:

6 Likes

Yes. That’s the reason they aren’t known much.
Ancient Greek philospers like Thales of Miletus, who’ve been to Egypt and back get all the credit.

A philosophical joke:
A horse walks into a bar. The bartender asks the horse if it’s an alcoholic considering all the bars he frequents, to which the horse replies “I think not!” POOF! The horse disappears.

This is the point in time when all the philosophy students in the audience begin to giggle, as they are familiar with the philosophical proposition of Cogito ergo sum, or I think, therefore, I am.

But to explain the concept aforehand would be putting Descartes before the horse.

Also on an unrelated note:
I got the words “jacuzzi” and “yakuza” confused.
Now I’m in hot water with the Japanese mafia. :grin:

6 Likes

Time to go to sleep, but before, some Scott Manley… nighties lovelies!

Also: the adventures of Russian ISS module Nauka…

I’ve been following the story from a Spanish source quoting Russian sources, Nauka had a good bunch of trouble and firing the engines after docking was just the last. Let’s hope all goes well from now on, but Roscosmos is likely to roll some heads at the top ranks of Nauka’s contractor, RSS Energia.

6 Likes

That’s CSI level zooming! :slightly_smiling_face:

They don’t call it “rocket science” for no reason. :thinking:

6 Likes

Time to go to sleep. Nighties lovelies!

Also: please, bring me THE flashlight…

Now i wonder, could it be seen from the ISS? How bright must be a individual light source to be seen from the ISS? The People wants to know! :tipping_hand_woman:t2:

6 Likes

“You know, that’s a nice FaceBook page you got there. Hate to see something bad happen to it.”

A door opens.

A door closes. Maybe.

Hay, I can quit gaming at… anytime! :tumbler_glass: :tumbler_glass: :tumbler_glass::partying_face:

7 Likes

Time to go to sleep… not slamming any doors, windows or similar… Nighties lovelies!

Also: how to close a door, Friends style:

8 Likes

I LOVED IT! :heart_eyes:
I also didn’t know Crookes radiometer’s existence until now. Fascinating invention!
Thank you for sharing, Yiole! THANK YOU! :heart:

6 Likes

Crookes radiometer is a funny little device, and it took a long tiem to find out how it actually works. The wire and the black/mirror paddles are in a void, so it was thought that what pushed the paddles was the impact of photons. Yet actually what’s going on is that the void is mot perfect, and the black side of paddles heats up and transfers some energy to the scattered gas mollecules, which gain momentum and transfer part of it to the paddles and push them.

And now I’m off to bed… nighties lovelies!

Also: timelapse of assembling NASA’s QUESST prototype

The QueSST will be a test aircraft for technologies and desings that minimize the noise impact of supersonic airplanes. Noise, specially sonic booms, was one of the reasons that prevented the Concorde from succeeding.

It is unclear whether airlines and passengers are interested in supersonic airplanes at all, but as with every research we might learn something valuable from developing the QueSST.

6 Likes

This is just over the top…

like me please.

5 Likes

Today I’m going to bed earlier, I swear! No more interneting after this! Nighties lovelies!

Also: slow-mo moths taking off to fly

Moths always look weird, but some are pretty… and they all fly quite well with those large wings.

6 Likes

In the pandemic world, a remote worker day be
like…

6 Likes

An insolent teenager stomps off to her room…

Teenager: “And another thing - JIM MORRISON SUCKS!”

Dad: “Hey! There’ll be no slamming of the Doors in this house!”

Good night, lovelies. :heart:

5 Likes

Time to go to sleep… tomorrow i’ll cut my hair and on Sunday I have an appointment to the first jab of Covid vaccine (after trying to get an appointment since early in July). With these two achieved, I’ll call it a productive weekend. :grin:

Nighties lovelies!

Also: tickets to “space” are for sale now…

(But no, 50 miles high is not “space”. And now we’ll have to wait to see how much will cost a ride on Blue Origin’s rocket…)

5 Likes

Money shouldnt buy anyone the place in a rocket. It should be about reason, the reason to help humanity survive longer. Just hopping into space to see earth from above is really a misunderstanding of the mission and bad use of resources.
I think all these money could have been used to finance projects that make created energy cleaner, or reuse resources, eventually developing technologies that allows getting self sufficient habitats on mars or even deeper in space. :thinking:

5 Likes

Time to go to bed… today I had my hair cut (Achievement 1/2 unlocked) and tomorrow morning I’ll go for the vaccination, so I’m trying to go sleep a bit earlier. Nighties lovelies!

Also: yo momma so fat that… no, forget it, she ain’t fatter than the black hole inside quasar TON 618

That thing already was heavier than our whole galaxy 10.4 billion years ago, and also was brighter than the very galaxy around it.

Bonus:

This is TON 618 as seen in visible light (the white-bluish blob). Those are the overheated plasma jets emitted from the matter falling into the event horizon of the ultramassive black hole fueling the quasar.

6 Likes

Douglas Adams… and The Simpsons had a comical solution.

:rocket: :scream_cat:

Lets not forget Cyril M. Kornbluth.

Wait a minute, space tourist is a…

6 Likes

Achievement 2/2 unlocked: got my jab with Moderna’s vaccine. My arm hurts a little and have a little headache but nothing serious. Now i’m going to bed a bit earlier than usual and that will end my productive weekend. Nighties lovelies!

Also: things haven’t gone as planned in Perseverance’s first attempt to sample Mars soil…

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-s-perseverance-team-assessing-first-mars-sampling-attempt

Maybe the sample fell off the drill? Maybe was too fragile and broke apart? Just slipped out? They’ll have to check. This is not the first time things don’t go as planned with Mars soil… the M3 “mole” from Mars inSight mission couldn’t bury itself into the ground, and years ago the probe Phoenix had a lot of trouble to get a sample of icy soil. Mars is another world, literally, and the ground is full of (unfortunate) surprises…

5 Likes

Heyyy… this thread still a thing?

6 Likes

Yes, only eventually gets renewed when the post limit gets achieved.
But the story goes on and on.

6 Likes