The Like and Get Likes thread III

I have not seen there a dinosaur, or any extinct specie. Probaby they dont want to document anything when its not living, as the classification and what to document would make that an unmanagable job. How many species lived ever, where they are on the tree of life? Would need like a second layer on that tree, where dead branches would still exist. But content there would be very inaccurate from definition, or some accuracy levels would need to be introduced.

4 Likes

1 day before you posted the video, I saw a short fact clip(shared below) about the theory of dinosaurs dying because of drought. Meteor theory wasn’t proposed until 1982! I didn’t know that at all.

Also the stop motion techniques and movements of the subjects in 1925 appear to be quite smooth. :exploding_head:

4 Likes

It was probably too fantastic to think a great cosmic event caused it, or at least made extinction faster. Also simply the crater was discovered in 1970s.
Not every day such a massive chunk of solid stuff comes from cosmic depths to cause mayhem on earth, so that is justified that they thought it was only drought.

It didnt have to be asteroid, may have been a very long period comet from oort cloud.

In such case the big impacts may be more common and even cause ocasionnal small extinctions.

The most probable thing is it was something from the asteroid belt tho. C-type asteroid - Wikipedia

These are closer to us, one day one of the larger ones may be destabilized by another one close by and then would be hurled towards us. Into the center of the solar system. Somewhere there right now flies a mountain that will fall on earth eventually, one day.

4 Likes

The impact hypothesis was proposed by two scientits, father and son Walter and Luis Alvarez. I think I read their book on the story, IIRC it all started with the discovery of a rock layer when many abundant fossils all but disappear and many were never seen again, right at the boundary between the Cretaceous and Paleogene ages. At that same boundary also was found evidence of great fires (a very thin layer of soot) in rock formations around the planet, as if something had caused a massive conflagration ina very short span oftime. The theory of an alien impactor gained traction when the Alvarez and their teams also found an unusual amount of iridium right at the extinction layer, iridium being very rare on Earth but more common on asteroids. The quantity of iridum was diminutive but consistent across different geological records, which was coherent with an impactor disintegrating and iridium rich dust from it raining all over the planet. And eventually the Alvarez found evidence of what is called the Chicxulub crater, a massive impact crater severely damaged by time but still discernible in Mexico.

It’s an interesting book, the title was “T. Rex and the crater of doom” or something like that.

Anyway, I’m going to sleep now… so, nighties lovelies!

Also: now say this never happened to you…

…neither to me. Oh no, never absolutely… :grin:

4 Likes

Daleks!

4 Likes

Huh… so… EVE Online x Doctor Who? Is that “Yee-haw!”? Or “Yikes!”? Also, a spaceships game without people, crossing over a TV series on people without spaceships…?

Guess that CCP will do whatever floats their boat at this point. This is not as bad as play-to-earn, though…

4 Likes

And now, i’m off to bed. Nighties lovelies!

Also: the full deployment of JWST’s sunshield has left behind most of the single points of failure of the unfolding process…

Next will be deploying the secondary mirror, whose upper arm has to perform a kind of somersault and rotate more than 210º:

5 Likes

It’s like a development meeting talking about the production code.

6 Likes

The JWST is already a telescope, after the succesful deployment of the secondary mirrror. Now it could do some science even if the wings of the primary mirror failed to deploy or function… but everybody wishes the deployemnt keeps going as smoothly as until now and the JWST can reach its destination and set up for work.

And now it’s my time to go to sleep… nighties lovelies!

Also: a stormtrooper’s first day serving the glory of the Empire!

Unreal Engine 5 is quite a thing…

5 Likes

Time to go to sleep… JWST deployed another element, the aft radiator for the instruments. Was a simple operation and has been done in just 15 minutes. Next will come the wings of the main mirror.

And now i’m of to bed, but first…

Also: the secret reason why JWST has a sunshield!

RIP the surface of Mars…

7 Likes

The pride one feels for their first strong tortilla chip. :cry:

7 Likes

How is that even possible? Should be banned.

7 Likes

Didn’t Reddit also try to buy an island?

6 Likes

I… I… don’t… Well, I’ll pretend I never learned of this thing… whatever it is. So now i’ll go to sleep and wish a you all good night. Nighties lovelies!

Also: emergency oxygen masks on airplanes hold no oxygen… not exactly…

The accident of Valujet flight 592 was a nightmare scenario caused by shoddiness -the people onboard had no chance of survival…

6 Likes

jetpacks!

6 Likes

Time to go to sleep… nighties lovelies!

Also: since the JWST has deployed perfectly and will be cooling off and getting ready for science in the following months, let’s bring something gloomy!

…at least for the USA. A severe water restriction which reduced California’s agricultural output of certain stuffs would be a godsend for farmers in the Mediterranean who struggle to compete with California even being 9,000 kilometers closer to the bloody EU markets…

5 Likes

I started watching “La casa de papel”. It is good so far. The professor’s a mind-boggling, complex character.

Timezone lovelies. :heart:

5 Likes

It’s on my to-do list, but the Spanish download is (or was) kidnapped by a pirate group holding the keyword to unzip one of the episodes of Season 1 (which was broadcast on TV in Spain). Guess I’ll look for a Netflix download of the whole series whenever I feel coming back to it, which will depend on I eventually replacing my failing HDD, something I am in no hurry to do.

5 Likes

Time to go to sleep… tomorrow starts a rough week, gonna try sleep well tonight. Nighties lovelies!

Also: probably you never needed it, but, just in case…

Apparently metal slinkies are more delicate than plastic ones, and thus harder to untangle without messing up them… :thinking:

5 Likes

Rough week has been postponed, until Covid wave improves and non-essential surgeries are scheduled again. Kind of a bummer because my father needs the hip prosthesis and his mobility is severely impaired, but on the other hand is better that hospitals check the Covid wave before my father spends several weeks going to hospital for rehabilitation after the prosthesis is implanted…

Anyway, we don’t know when the surgery will be. And now i’m off to bed, saying: nighties lovelies!

Also: Artificial gravity for long space trips is bad if you don’t have it, and also bad if you have it

Artificial gravity adds complexity and limits available storage space, but without it we know that bad things happen to astronaut bodies in microgravity.

6 Likes