The Like and Get Likes thread III

5 Likes
6 Likes

:joy:

6 Likes

Time to go to bed… nighties lovelies!

Also: quite interesting video on how solar panels work and a nasty flaw that makes them lose 10% of their efficency in the first hours of exposure to sunlight

I like this guy’s videos and how he produces sources for his data.

6 Likes

omg im the F meme lord :crown:

6 Likes

Timezone lovelies. :heart:

6 Likes

SYFY Original. Wow… SYFY has something original.

:alien:

6 Likes

learn history the fun way :joy:

6 Likes

Just checking the thread and saying: nighties lovelies!

6 Likes

Timezone lovelies. :heart:

EDIT:
Today was spent reading books and watching TV shows.

Good night, lovelies. :heart:

6 Likes

Time to go to bed. nighties lovelies!

Also: be careful with your time…

My best score? 71 with the mouse, 38 with the spacebar

6 Likes

Explaining a subject of quantum mechanics in layman terms that anyone can understand:

51 with mouse. Haven’t dared trying with keyboard since I don’t have a cherry(?) switch.

EVE and WoW experiences:

6 Likes

that is a very cute kitty. :smile:

Looks like it was not optimally balanced or something. Impressive sight, especially at the end of its rise.

6 Likes

It’s so shocking, how out of nowhere that monstrous piece of ice just decides it is too top-heavy and rolls over while crumbling to pieces, with caves collapsing and then pieces from the former underneath… maybe melting from the daily heat hit harder one half of the iceberg and that part became lighter and lighter and tipped it off balance…?

Anyway I’m off to bed and call it a day… nighties lovelies!

Also: (some dude across the Pacific from Tonga) Hey bruh, what’s that sound? Did you sneeze?

The pressure wave was measured by weather stations even in the EU…

6 Likes

smol lego dalek

I wonder who will clean that up.

7 Likes

Time to go to sleep… I am currently gameless after stopping to play War Thunder (22 months and some 2,400 hours later), and my attempt to get into Cities Skylines isn’t working as planned for different reasons that make it not click with me. Thus I’ve been surfing websites and watching videos a lot more but still looking for potential games to evaluate and buy/try. After World of Warships and War Thunder I am mostly done with vehicular FPS…

Anyway, It’s bed time. Nighties lovelies!

Also: old but good…

:rofl:

7 Likes

I do get where you’re coming from and it’s frustrating that the pace isn’t quicker but sadly that’s the era that we’re born into. I do think however that there’s a lot to be gained from a base on the moon.

1 - On paper we have lots of ideas as to how we might provide accommodation and work spaces for astronauts on other planets and moons, but as yet we’ve not actually field tested any of these. The moon is a good and close test bed for the refinement of buildings and construction techniques.

2 - When lunar infrastructure can support ship building and launches then the design of long distance interplanetary ships becomes much easier because the fuel needed to overcome Earth’s gravity is a non-issue and this in turn means longer trips become easier.

3 - In terms of astronomy, the dark side of the moon is a very attractive option. Because it’s completely cut off, more or less, from sunlight and Earth based radio static, a telescope facility here would be very scientifically productive.

:mouse:

6 Likes

It is good for testing the moon buildings, not very good for testing Mars buildings or other planetary space habitats. The composition would be different in every environment, because it would have to be build out of local materials. The constructions would be different because of different radiation, different atmosphere, different gravity, different building material.

This seems like a 100 or more years jouney into the future. Look at the Moon, it have lots of rocks, and nearly nothing else… How to start there from zero? Making everything locally on moon, instead of earth. Maybe assembling would be fairly easy, but on orbit, parts transported from earth. Producing everything from scratch? High tech industry on moon would mean a lot of people building a lot of stuff in very hostile circumstances in beginning, or we would have to wait for robots that are completely autonomous. Even servicing themselves. Even building themselves.
Living employees would need space suits, would be test working in minimal gravity environment, we dont even know how long they could do that, they would need to be astronauts, and Nasa even today lacks astronauts. Its a very complicated matter to build a space ship on earth, and building it on moon means we would have to start from scratch, in environment a lot more hostile… Looks like a loooong way, spanning maybe many generations, not years, who will assure the funding and for how long?.. because people still need money to live, to work further.

The Webb telescope is omitting problems that would be happening with a telescope that is on the moon. It doesnt need maintenance, it doesnt need a building to be housed in, it doesnt need people inside, it was build on earth and launched to space instead of being build on earth to then launch it to the moon and land on it. Its just simpler to launch it to space in fairly compact form and forget about landing, and you can park it at L2 and direct where you want. In future maybe larger rockets would be needed, or assembly required on orbit to get larger telescopes tho.

I understand that starting from a zero G environment would be pretty energy saving, only building everything to then build the spaceship in such environment is something energy hungry and I dont see that happening soon with current technology and state of the human knowledge.

People would need to work very long to achieve that goal, and they would need a lot of time and money, considering only development stage for technology.

Who will do that?

5 Likes

Very fair and considered points.

:mouse:

6 Likes

I imagine in future if people stop fighting each other they could together build everything on moon, on mars, and everywhere else with ease, employing robots for most of the work, but first we would have to change humans I think. Humans in current state are not able to communicate and cooperate with each other to the level needed for space civilization. Maybe cybernetization would help…

5 Likes