The like and get likes thread

Good morning,lovelies. :heart:

@Ian_Morbius Thank you. My dad isn’t any younger than 80,though.

7 Likes

Hope that the procedure goes well and he’ll be fine! :kissing_heart:

7 Likes

The Spanish equivalent:

Model 5523 E, nicknamed “baquelite telephone” (teléfono de baquelita) because of the matherial. This equipment was rented, not sold, and was the workhorse of the spreading of telephone in Spain in the 1950s. My grandpas got their first telephone in 1961. :smile:

8 Likes

Aaand, good morning LAGLers! Off to the working week, 6 days left 'til Sunday! (well that’s kind of depressing, huh).

7 Likes

Many more years for your dad. :clinking_glasses:

8 Likes

Back in the 90s there was a video game on a TV show which a contestant could call and play the game by using the buttons on the telephone. The game I’m talking about is Hugo. Do you guys remember Hugo? Most of the houses of the kids who played it in my country had rotary phones so kids would rip out their own hair trying to play it. There is even an urban legend that a boy once lost playing on a rotary phone and allegedly said “■■■■ Hugo!” and when the host of the show told the boy he shouldn’t swear,the boy allegedly said “■■■■ you too!” and slammed the phone. :rofl:

Hugo

7 Likes

How sweet of you,Nana. I hope the only illness old people will be inflicted by be the Benjamin Button disease. Amen. :clinking_glasses:

7 Likes

I remember it. I dont remember anyone swearing on the line tho. :rofl:

Definitely there were also other computer shows in that time, where you could play by phone. I remember even one method was to control a robot arm and do stuff before timer expires. Usually this was so clunky and attempts so miserable that it was painful to watch. I had computer so I knew how games should properly function. The time of reaction depended so much on stuff between the viewer and show and back to viewer, that it was something like playing a console located on the moon sitting with gamepad on earth.

7 Likes

I don’t get the joke below. Maybe Yiole can tell what’s funny? :man_shrugging:

A Mexican man who spoke no English went into a department store to buy socks.
He found his way to the menswear department where a young lady offered to help him.

“Quiero calcetines,” said the man.

“I don’t speak Spanish, but we have some very nice suits over here,” said the salesgirl.

“No, no quiero trajes. Quiero calcetines,” said the man.

“Well, these shirts are on sale this week,” declared the salesgirl.

“No, no quiero camisas. Quiero calcetines,” repeated the man.

“I still don’t know what you’re trying to say. We have some fine pants on this rack,” offered the salesgirl.

“No, no quiero pantalones. Quiero calcetines,” insisted the man.

“These sweaters are top quality,” the salesgirl probed.

“No, no quiero sueter. Quiero calcetines,” said the man.

“Our undershirts are over here,” fumbled the salesgirl, beginning to lose patience.

“No, no quiero camisetas. Quiero calcetines,” the man repeated.

As they passed the underwear counter, the man spotted a display of socks and happily grabbed a pair. Holding them up he proclaimed, “Eso sí que es!”

“Why didn’t you just spell it in the first place?!” yelled the salesgirl.

7 Likes

A socks? :thinking:

7 Likes

I dunno,doesn’t sound like it when I listen through Google Translate. Maybe Mexican Spanish is different from Spain’s Spanish in some aspects. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

7 Likes

Funny, image was a size of an emote when I first saw it. Made me click it and then its big on site.

@discobot fortune

Is that you again messing with code of the site, trying to design your own paradise?

7 Likes

:crystal_ball: Better not tell you now

8 Likes

I knew it… off to a quarantine you go again.

7 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

8 Likes

Why do I see it just now? Its 5 years old and I never stumbled upon it earlier! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
6 Likes

Well I guess it’s a kind of phonetical joke on how the syllabes sound…

ES (s)
O (o)
Si ( c )
QUE (not exaclty k, but, give it a go, the joke is bad…)
ES (s)

“Eso sí que es” it’s a bit weird way to say “yes that is it”. “Eso” is like “that” meaning something that’s not in a specific or near location (“that thing over there”) whereas when it’s something you have in a close or specific location (like holding it in your hands) the word is “esto” (meaning “this thing here”).

7 Likes

This explains some of the funny stuff when comparing USA vs Europe…

It would be interesting to make the same map but taking in account only the usable land (that is, without deserts, mountain ranges and other uninhabitable areas).

7 Likes

C’est la ouate!

7 Likes