The new design is clunky, a waste of space and lacks old features

Test Forum Please Ignore

1 Like

ctrl + on a mobile or tablet.

i always use two fingers to zoom :slight_smile:

I think this new forum is much better than the old forums, yes they are not perfect but one of the best bits is that now you can now add pictures…

keep it up!

new design is horrible, very un intuitive.
Posting is painful ( cant post in the section you are in )
too many negatives to list.
only one positive - nice avatars

I strongly dislike the new design as well.

1 Like

I’m wanting CCP to read this tread again. I would also like a member of the CCP staff who approved this design to come here and explain in exacting (but clear) reasons why. and please don’t go “old forums are old”. You’ve placed yourself onto a system that has never been designed for a community of this size, using a design that is for asking questions and receiving answers. It has a “SOLUTION!” thread closing option for crying out loud.

The largest thread that I have seen so far is the “Likes and get Likes” thread. Something in the region of 6200 posts, which now means you cannot pace yourself properly when reading because the need to scroll to either get to the bottom or it will throw you back into the place where you last read from, which is like putting down a book and going back to it 5 years later having forgotten the story line and hoping you remember it from the point you left it.

Also, the reliance of having 3rd parties create workarounds also highlights how terrible a system this forum design is. There is literally nothing worse than having a system so lacking in basic understanding of a forum that you need to have someone else code it to make it work the way it used to work.

I use a customised version of a 3rd party script to hide that annoying post tracker (which I refuse to use) and also get the width to the values that I want. I do not use any other 3rd party script, for the simple reason being: I don’t trust them. Not to say that the people making them aren’t doing a benefit to the system, but the onus should not be put onto the community to create aspects of forum that should be a basic part of it. That shows again that these forums are still clunky, a waste of space (both physical and digital) and that they are continuing to lack old features.

2 Likes

I’ve seen quite a few posts saying the new forum style is acceptable because it’s better to view on phones than the old forums. I have to disagree. The old forums may have required some awkward zooming but at least they did not suffer from sticky scrolling, flickering text and user portraits that jump around the screen at will. It’s an epilepsy inducing horror show on a phone and a disorganised mess on a pc.

agreed, it’s very hard to follow who’s talking to whom, finding what you want seems inexplicably difficult and jebus wept the scrolling the never ending scrolling, it’s like the worst sperg post on facebook level of irritation.

1 Like

Where do I sign up to get a phd to start working with this site? It is ridden with useless features, I had to scroll down 208 topics just to reply. When I scroll up I have to reload mails that were loaded in earlier. The badges system - Why?!?!? Keyboard shortcuts - Why!??!

I can see they made a large effort to implement an array of features. Most of which are completely unnecessary. But usability is just low. In a forum I expect to browse, post, read and find posts. CCP made that harder and a worse experience.

I hope this was the right post to provide feedback… If not have some forum moderator move it there.

1 Like

Next time you want to scroll to the bottom, use the blue scroll bar on the right. You can move to any post number and only then will it render the page. Ontop of that, you can add a ‘/postNumber’ or press the END key on your keyboard.

Wouldn’t have this problem if pages where a thing on this forum…

4 Likes

Agree. I rarely visit here. But the new site is just for the birds. For a company that has come out and saying how much more they have to listen to players this is pretty much a joke when the few subforums that had actual discussions and not gripes is gone. Of course we can sound off to volunteers. How a multi million dollar company entrust the first and most likely contact with the company to volunteers is beyond me. Maybe they should try sitting in the few channels in game that ISD makes appearances and see how often one of them totally flies off the handle, either in a rage or a drunk fit.

The video made by CCP last month about “we’re listening”, curious to where they think any sound is coming from lol.

But on the new forum itself, I give it a 3/10 and looks like something that would be on a gaming site that gets 50 post a month on now dead games that were never fully funded.

Also looks like it was designed by whoever is making the horrible UI choices at CCP. The character info scree, the new scanning UI, whoever approved that was probably the same person that approved the new forums. All 3 of which are not up to the standards of a “modern” game, which of course eve is not so…

So we tried. And CCP once more has failed to actually listen, so we are going to be stuck with a poorly chosen, poorly designed forum for the foreseeable future, proving once more that CCP can’t test stuff worth a damn.

Well Done CCP. For not actually bothering to even attempt a decent reply other than “press end to get to the end of the thread”.

Special thanks to the CSM/ISD for actually talking back, but still missing the point entirely.

So as per the topic title: Still clunky, a waste of space and lacking in old features, created in a rush with little change possible.

Any chance of having the date when the thread was posted appear? I don’t want to have to hunt down a thread and calculate how old the topic actually is…

Mouse over the ##d notice at the top-right of the post. It’ll give you the exact time it was posted.

I meant in the topic listings, rather than the thread itself.

Works for whole topics too.

Zooming out helps, thanks.

Still the forum is ratshit on mobile. No way to navigate large threads other than ‘scroll down, wait, scroll down, wait’.

I’m a retired dev, I’m not against change or new ways of doing things, and I do see some good advantages in the new forum system. But, these are hacks, it’s nice that their are hacks to be able to fix things, but these things shouldn’t need fixing by hacks. A normal user should never have to manually edit a URL. And keyboard shortcuts, although very nice to have, should always be optional in the new world of computing where it’s no longer even mouse-driven, but touch-driven. Some touch devices you can’t even force keyboard input without a recognized “input field” the page as a whole is not such a field.

This remind me of the Google Play store, where you can’t change the language you are viewing without a URL hack, that should never be an expected behaviour from a “normal” user. And if something can be easily hacked into a URL it can also easily be implemented in user settings or the UI.

So any word from the ISD/CCP Devs when we will get our new forums? Because these are horrendous.