The Orca

Prolly code butthurt they cant gank them as easily. You know how it is. The most risk averse playstyles usualy cry the loudest

3 Likes

As if you have a clue what you are talking about. Passive drone fleet mining should have never been a thing ever. How big of a mistake it was has been proven beyond any doubt with the Rorqual. The Orca does the same, just at a smaller scale.

This is in no way different from

It is the same horrendously unbalanced, unsustainable experience and outright wrong in terms of reasonable gameplay experience. Mining ought to come from mining ships, not from near untouchable ships that can turn invulnerable to call in help. Mining ought to be done in exhumers, barges and mining frigates that can lead to this and not in Rorquals that used to require 200+ chars to kill 1 single Rorqual, or Orcas that require equivalent numbers for ganks.

7 Likes

not many things i’ll agree with you on, but i never did like how the rorq or orca for either null or high basically dummified mining worse than it already was.

When I was in null we didn’t even use a rorq, we used a porpoise for the command boosts while we actually mined using procs…

the afk mining and easy mining ship needs to go…

5 Likes

Dont you think thak people take orca just because dont want to fly to station every 5-20 minutes and also dont want to be gankes by single alpha pilot catalyst?

Orca have nothing wrong with it’s mining capabilities.
About 1k m3/min both, ore and ice.
~3 hours to fill up cargo if you solo.
Where is OP here?

5 Likes

Catalyst Alpha ganker detected.

Otherwise… who ever can complain about orca mining??? :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Simple approach to the problem is best.

I would leave the Orca as is, the one change I would make is to the mining drones, in that I would make the player have to re-engage the asteroid every time they offload what they have mined.

Then they will no longer be AFK mining boats.

4 Likes

Mining should be like PI but with a twist.
Spending time doing activity like mining is very underwhelming now.

Let people install mining tower at belt and then let them destroy it like MTU.

4 Likes

People with at least … People who can think and see how horribly awry the current system is and how much it has ruined EVE’s ecosystem over the better part of the last decade and how much incompetence it has allowed to flood into and anchor itself in EVE.

You know what the fun thing about this limitation suggestion is? CCP could improve the Orca and Rorqual mining yield again to a multiple of a Skiff. An Orca can very well mine as much as 2 Skiff and boost, but it ought not to do that with 10 or 20 Orcas in the same resources field. The bulk of the mining has to come from barges, exhumers and mining frigates. Same goes for the Rorqual. That ship can also mine as much as 6 Skiffs but only 1 can do it in a resources field. That way you would also breed more cooperation because people have to join already present fleets for boosts – and it would create conflict potential if people refuse to let you into their fleets to deny you better mining.

3 Likes

That could be a great mini game… Like the old Asteroids arcade game

1 Like

Among other activities i also like to occasionally solo mine in a Orca. If nerf is comming then buff the other ships, as of now, barges and ehxumers are just fun loot pinatas. Orcas get ganked also, but it takes alot more effort and isk loss as the ore/modules droped dont cover the costs most of the time. The real problem and what tends to break mechanics, in most activities in EVE, is not the ships/processes, but the ability to control dozens at the same time.

3 Likes

Problem is that people won’t use barges or exhumers. No sane person gonna use 300 mil ship that can be ganked with 9 catalysts and can’t be saved by “command ship”. People don’t use orcas because it’s easy. In hisec asteroids are so small that you can’t be afk. People use orcas because there is no reasonable alternative

3 Likes

Remove all mining drones. Return barges to their rightful place.

1 Like

There is an exception to the small asteroids, it is ice and this is what needs to change if one wishes to make no changes to the Orca and the mining drones. Do that and they will not be AFK machines.

2 Likes

Such things are literally personal attacks. Especially in the real world. Go on, live without money. They didn’t teach you that. People become emotionally invested in their goal/ship/whatever else they got going on in eve strictly because they invest time into it. It’s one thing to get blown up it’s another to attack the people who chose to use the tools as they saw fit. At the end of the day, it’s always better to add counters instead of nerfs unless it’s actually game breaking. Honestly, I hope this phase they’re going through ends permanently and they instead focus on adding content to the game instead of modifying it all the time.

5 Likes

Many ships are not used for their ‘intended use’ CCP create the content and then the players decide what to do with it. Sometimes with consequences that others don’t like or agree with.

The Orca is also a pretty decent hauler but that doesn’t mean CCP should remove its cargo capacity because people are using it to transport goods and ships. Conversely should we only allow mining turrets to be used on mining ships or restrict cloaks to covert class only ? What about mining drones ? Should they be specific to mining ships only ? I can easily drop a few mining drones into my Vargur and go play in a belt for shits and giggles. The good thing about New Eden is that I have that choice. If you start going down the rabbit hole of specific ships for specifc roles and nothing else then you will destroy gameplay and some ship classes would become worthess.

Of all the ships in New Eden the Orca seems to be exactly as it needs to be. It can mine, provide bonuses, haul stuff™, and is generally pretty solid when it needs to be.

I’m also one of those ‘solo’ players people love to dump on. The Orca is an aspirational ship. For someone like me who dabbles in most of the content an Orca would be perfect. As someone said above. Going out solo in a hulk is suicide, the gankers have pushed people into cheaper or more capable alternatives.

9 Likes

Skiffs and Procurors are reasonable alternatives. They are hard to gank and easy to remote repair from the Orca. They can also dish out serious DPS to take care of NPC spawns and use ECM drones against gankers. With a Higgs rig, they can also stay passively aligned to a safe spot/celestial/structure/station to warp out instantly if trouble arrives on grid.

5 Likes

That’s the fault of CCP and people like CODE. the smaller ships DO get more yield per hour but it doesn’t matter if you hunt them to the point they run out of funds from their wallet to mine with the better ships. Furthermore, for the orca to becoming proficient at mining like that it becomes a bling magnet. It’s fair. Now if CCP didn’t add trigivilian level npcs to asteroid belts maybe the miner base may have not responded like that. combine that with the emergent behavior of ganker players and this is what you get. Then you attack them outside the game. Like I said, people like you is what’s killing the game. Why play if you can’t ever get up?

The way it should be, imo, is they should revert npc belt rats to the way they were before and the only time the triglivian level npcs show up is when there is an orca on grid. Make it where for each orca on grid you get a wave of 5 elite npcs that are trigivilian level according to system status. Scale it accordingly. Make them switch agro often and make them stick to weak targets. this way the orca will have a purpose to use it’s remote rep bonuses alongside their boosts (since the boosts is where its at). If there is a barge or exhumer, only spawn the old weak rats, but the second an orca shows up, upgrade it to triglivian level rats that puts all in danger within the asteroid belt because of the orca’s presence. By ensuring that trig level npcs don’t ever spawn in the belt for anything smaller than an orca, you’ll see a reemergence of the smaller ships simply because they are more efficient in their ways. Hulk will always beat the orca.

2 Likes

That suggestion is interesting but has a huge weak spot: It is hilariously easy to abuse. Want to wreck a competing mining fleet? Wrap in your Orca, trigger the Trig response, warp out, watch the trigs shredding the other guys’ barges and exhumers die in flames. If you want to make it even harder to “get up”, this is the way to do it. Before you even think about telling me that this is just a hypothetical scenario: It is not. It is very much real. Back in the days when CCP introduced FOBs, the diamond rats started spawning on gates and attacked anything that moved. Gankers switched from wasting their gank ships to gank a freighter to just bumping freighters and let the diamond rats deal the DPS.

What EVE needs the least are mechanics like these that are easy to abuse. As sad as it is, most suggestions that look good on paper and would potentially create amazing gameplay experiences are usually also very easy to exploit for the exact opposite outcomes and make the lives of people on the receiving ends much harder.

4 Likes

Ok.
Then give them 100% boosts bonus.
Double ore cargo
Ore link than can auto draw ore form supported mining ships

1 Like

Stops people from being afk. People can get away from npcs, they can’t from players. The trigger wouldn’t be instant like that. Just how sometimes one can warp to an asteroid field and see a npc already there or not. Sometimes they warp in shortly after your arrival or 5 to 10 minutes later. All you would have to do is simply tie in a check for large ships like the orca or roqual. Make it where the orca gets agro initially since it is the trigger but have the trig level npcs switch targets within a variable range of time that’s determined at spawn by rolling a dice between say 10 to 30 seconds. This way it can give time for the smaller guys to pull out if it’s not one of their own. While yea, a multiboxer can come in with like 40 orcas and then spawn like 80 trig level rats or something ridiculous, that’s just fun. That adds content. Make their loot tied to common npc drops without the metal scraps since they are a harder tier npc. The orca is capable of dealing with trig level npcs fairly easily, just takes time away from their mining which reduces their total amount mined thus lessoning their impact without nerfing the ship itself. Everything gets exploited in eve. It’s a game where scamming is legal. Plus, while it’s open for exploitation, if the smaller miner ships are actually there, there’s time for them to warp out if they’re paying attention before the npcs spawn. There are a lot of empty asteroid fields.

Edit: 5 random trig level npcs for each orca on grid. While an orca can handle 5, 10, or even 20 of them, if there are 20 orcas in the same belt then that’s 100 trig level npcs and let’s be real, there isn’t an x-l ancillary shield booster that can handle a focused fire from even half of that. It really would curb down the kind of stuff you saw in that picture. In fact you’d probably see no more than 4 in a field as players try to control what they can handle.

Also, if say the 40 orcas lost their field. Those npcs stay there until down time thus becoming a death trap or a good farm for some bling ships. This creates… opportunity.