The usefulness of friendly discussion on these forums

That’s not a communication weakness, it’s an intellectual weakness. If everyone took everyone else literally, then everyone would use words as they’re meant to be used instead of making up their own definitions and meanings.

Communication problems are an intellectual problem. People simply don’t learn how to do it right and everyone just assumes he’s doing it right because 99% of the time it just works.

That’s what context is for. Funny you bring up German, considering that the Germans are known as the ones who have a word for pretty much everything. I would have used English as a much better example.

For additional context: I’m Austrian.

Great point. I spend half my life (outside here, where I’ve literally just plucked up the courage to post) trying to resist the constant annoyance of trolls…somehow it’s that feeling that, by letting them spout awful stuff without challenge, you’re consenting by your own silence. Like you, I always recommend not to feed the trolls but, jeez, it’s hard sometimes, especially when they’re playing the same, obsessive, brilliant game as you.

2 Likes

But who’s a troll? Is it the one who’s wrong, or is it the one who insists you’re wrong? When both sides call each other troll, then it’s meaningless to call out trolls, because the end result will always be two echo chambers. One filled with idiots and the other.

There’s plenty of people who consider me a troll. The jokes on them, because I’m far more articulate than any of them. The people who call others trolls the most are most often those who are wrong and any doubt can be removed simply by reading the forums!

Many just call troll simply because someone disagrees with them, while they themselves actually lack the ability to understand that telling you you’re wrong is not a sign of aggression. For them it’s personal. Irrational beings can not take part in intellectual discussions!

2 Likes

Is that a compliment? :open_mouth:

…surely SP, you must agree that semantics plays a part, beyond intellectual weakness. Your command of English, as an Austrian, is truly commendable but, as a Londoner, I bet I could pretty much confuse you in ten seconds if I were to use local dialectic idiosyncrasies.

I like your point but I think the differences are cultural rather than intellectual…and, btw, I would have zero chance of expressing anything like that in your native language…which is a testament to your great command of English and my rather poor command of German…(better at French mind you).

Totally!!!

I’m also an old timer…you will find a thread by me that lists about 15 pages of good features from the old days CCP has pretty much ignored.

In my opinion, a Troll is someone who is just always contrarian. They usually offer a very few words, all of them designed to solicit a response, whilst contributing nothing.

You are the antithesis of a Trollk! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I think my english is rather bad, specifically my grammar. I’ve watched tons of english cartoons when I was a kid and it helped me tremendously! Of course you’d confuse me if you used some dialect. That’s why we have “common ground”, like “Hochdeutsch”.

I only speak Englisch and German. Even my Austrian is lacking.
I can’t speak like Arnold Schwarzenegger, not even in english.

That makes you suspicious as ■■■■, mate, but thank you nonetheless!
I truly appreciate it. :blush:

1 Like

No, honestly, I’m sure we’ll blow each other up sometime in New Eden but, out here, real world, I am who I am…and the worst thing about Eve Online is that you still might not believe me… :frowning:

I don’t dis-believe you. :blush:

1 Like
1 Like

Better than my German and you know it :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve watched tons of english cartoons when I was a kid and it helped me tremendously!

BFBS and AFN?

Of course you’d confuse me if you used some dialect

TBF you do quite well with that, you’ve picked up colloquialisms and localised dialect from at the very least Australia, the UK and the US.

It was wazzock the other day ffs.

Today’s word is Grockle, just to dis the morons who think driving to the coast for Easter is a good idea :smiley:

4 Likes

btw…judging by zkillboard, I have a whole lot more to worry about than you do. :smiley: :scream:

1 Like

wazzock? Now that’s true Aussie!

Strangely not, we are reliably informed, by an Aussie, that it hasn’t made its way there; it’s from Lancashire.

Grockle is from my neck of the woods down in cider country.

2 Likes

I don’t know. DJ Cat and literally all the famous 80s cartoons
and a huge part of everything Shuki Levy composed for!

Communication (verbal, non-verbal and textual, but never touched sign-language) is one of my life-long hobbies. Yet I only speak two languages, because just spending my life learning languages doesn’t yield that much. Dialects are great, though!

:smiley:

Okay. Enough off-topic now.

2 Likes

I only ask because they were the English speaking TV and radio networks provided for the UK and US troops in Germany, so they would have had a lot of non local content on them.

The definition of grockle is slightly off btw, it’s used in Dorset and Somerset too; a tourist is also called an emmet in Cornwall, which is something to do with ants.

2 Likes

It’s funny, but I don’t remember a single channel, or how I got to see the cartoons on them. We didn’t have any fancy TV subscription or something and it was in the 80s. Hm.

Shuky Levi, btw. Great musician.
Made tons of amazing work.
Truly a master of hook lines.

1 Like

80’s… Paderborn, Munster, Rheindahlen and Gutersloh. Also summer holidays in Bavaria, Austria and Switzerland.

2 Likes