There is already a Covid19 Vaccine, What's your opinion about it?

What’s next, mandatory euthanasia once you turn 70 because you have no potential left and we need to remove the burden on society?

And if your reckless actions result in their deaths it’s your fault. You have an obligation to mitigate the spread of a deadly disease and allowing your kids to become plague carriers because you don’t understand risk analysis is not ok.

There is a reason vaccines take 10+ years to be approved.

As I keep saying, that reason is money. In normal circumstances R&D work proceeds in stages. You fully complete one stage, hold your review meetings, and do not proceed to the next stage until everyone is in agreement that your product meets the requirements. But if you want to expedite things you can run multiple steps in parallel at the cost of financial risk. Maybe you get things done faster, but maybe you commit time and money to one of those later stages only to find out that the product fails and your investment is wasted.

To give a hypothetical example, let’s say the new vaccine production requires $10 million worth of new industrial freezers (since one of the versions must be kept extremely cold). In normal times you don’t pay that $10 million to upgrade your factory until the full R&D process is complete and you have government approval. Then you have 3 months of lead time for the freezer manufacturer to deliver and another 3 months to get everything installed in the factory and tested. Slow, but safe for the shareholders. But if you want to expedite things you order those freezers as soon as you know that your vaccine needs them and everything is installed and ready to go as soon as you get the approval to begin production. The risk is that if your vaccine fails the trials you just lost an extra $10 million buying equipment you can’t use. Now repeat this across the entire R&D and manufacturing process, saving time at the expense of financial risk everywhere you possibly can.

TL;DR: the only shortcuts taken were ones with financial risks, not risks to the people getting the vaccine. Objecting to the vaccine based on the timeline is paranoia with no justification in reality.

Since the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines haven’t been approved for kids under 16 or 18 respectively, I guess you don’t need to worry about that. And who is forcing kids to get the COVID vaccine?

And I will add, again, technology. Using mRNA technology Moderna was able to create their vaccine in 2 days. Two. Days. Back in January. The technology is a game changer when it comes to creating new vaccines.

That and money.

1 Like

First off, I don’t have kids.
Second; If I did have kids, I wouldn’t be taking them around old sick people. That’s just me though.
Third; not getting a vaccine does not translate into killing old people on purpose. However, if they die, they die. That’s what happens when you get old.

1 Like

tests, experiments, control at every step

if you happen to be watching the news, Several outlets are advocating for mandatory childhood vaccines once approved.

It’s not just sick people that are at risk. Are you never going to allow your (hypothetical) kids to meet their grandparents?

Third; not getting a vaccine does not translate into killing old people on purpose. However, if they die, they die. That’s what happens when you get old.

Well that’s certainly a sociopathic way of looking at things: “the consequences of my reckless actions don’t matter because old people are worthless and die anyway”.

if you happen to be watching the news, Several outlets are advocating for mandatory childhood vaccines once approved.

And that approval process will determine that it is as safe as any other vaccine or it won’t happen.

I’m sure my doctor knows. I trust him.

2 Likes

Nope. my parents are a holes. I wouldn’t subject my hypothetical children to them. It’s bad enough they have to deal with me.
I wouldn’t call myself sociopathic. What a popular term these days.
I am not a fan of old age. I’m heavily invested in several companies working on life extending medicines and therapies. In my opinion, age will soon be solved. Hopefully before I’m too old to enjoy it.
I’ve dealt with enough death in my life that it no longer phases me. That includes family members, my brothers in the service, friends, co workers.
It’s part of life. It’s horrible, but I’ve found that I no longer feel sad about it. I seem to care even less about old people that have no bearing on my life, or of anyone I know. Incidentally, having no reason to interact or path to infect them means I wouldn’t be responsible for their deaths.
Does that make me a sociopath?

once the old man gets vaccinated, what’s the problem with meeting anyone?

1 Like

What an excellent question.

If the sick old people are vaccinated, they have literally nothing to worry about from my unvaccinated hypothetical children.

Now perhaps you could try to understand the point of a hypothetical situation and not get stuck on the details of whether or not you personally like your parents?

I wouldn’t call myself sociopathic.

That’s fine, I’ll do it for you. Your comment was a textbook sociopath statement, displaying an explicit lack of empathy for other people and concern only for what is convenient for you.

In my opinion, age will soon be solved.

In my opinion you’ve been sold a scam. Quality of life will improve, but aging is caused by inherent effects of how our body operates. If aging is ever solved it will almost certainly be long after you have grown old and died.

I seem to care even less about old people that have no bearing on my life, or of anyone I know.

You know that part about being a sociopath? That’s proving it right there.

1 Like

What you’re saying is that you do not understand how vaccines work. No vaccine is ever 100% effective for an individual, safety depends on herd immunity where enough 75% chances of stopping the disease add up to outbreaks never going anywhere.

path to infect them

And here’s another example of you not understanding. You don’t have to have direct interaction to pass on a disease. For example, your reckless refusal to get the vaccine for your hypothetical kids means they pass it on to someone else’s kids, and then those kids do visit their grandparents and covid kills them. If you had not refused your duty to society you would have broken the chain of transmission.

So if we have the ability to lessen the chance of them dying from one thing (COVID) we shouldn’t because they are going to die anyway?

get vaccinated just so you won’t be sure you won’t get sick anyway … that’s great!

Apparently you don’t understand the concept of risk mitigation.

and did you measure them? and complications after vaccination?

Ok, you don’t like details. I do.
In my opinion, old people pose no significant benefit to children. Their experiences and advice don’t translate to the childhood mentality. Perhaps someone in their early 30’s would benefit more.
I honestly see no reason to inflict interaction with elderly people on children.

I don’t lack empathy. Perhaps i’ve grown somewhat calloused, however, I think it’s great that people are alive. I just don’t get caught up when they die. It’s literally a fact of life. One should accept facts.

Two of the companies I am invested in are working on therapies to create and then enhance the production of telomerase. That would effectively stop aging. When your cell replicates, it does so imperfectly. Telomerase, however, allows for perfect replication. It’s one of the many reasons cancer is so dangerous. Unregulated telomerase production.
The hope is within the next 15-20 years to have a viable therapy or medication to achieve biological immortality.

I do not see a reason to feel responsible for people that I will never meet. If you want to call that being a sociopath, then so be it. I’m glad people are alive. I hope they have wonderful lives. I also hope they live long enough to benefit from the proposed therapies and medications designed to extend their lives.

It is a good thing that you do not have children because you certainly don’t understand how families work.

One should accept facts.

There is a difference between accepting facts and using “facts” to disregard risks and justify reckless behavior. The fact that death is eventually going to happen does not mean that you should just shrug and ignore risk mitigation.

The hope is within the next 15-20 years to have a viable therapy or medication to achieve biological immortality.

And my hope is to win the lottery today. I hope you haven’t invested too much of your money in these companies.

I do not see a reason to feel responsible for people that I will never meet.

IOW, you are a sociopath.