Thinking of returning to Eve - Question about Linux

Hi,

What’s the best way to install & run Eve on Linux these days?

Steam Proton or Wine.

Thanks

Ok the game isn’t running at all. I’m on Opensuse.

I installed Steam Proton version from the Lutris site. Client opens, hit play - says its loading but nothing happens.

See https://www.protondb.com/app/8500 and Client start exception after today update - steam [SOLVED] - #9 by Von_LundenBerg

So i’m attempting to run Eve from the basic setup found on the website.

Can anyone tell me what the following output error means? I got it after typing ./evelauncher.sh in the terminal:

Settings path: “/home/ocean/.config/CCP/EVE.conf”
Valid language not found in settings.
Checking system language “en”
Language selected based on system locale: “en”
QObject::startTimer: Timers can only be used with threads started wit
h QThread
/home/ocean/evelauncher/./evelauncher: symbol lookup error: /lib64/li
bGLX_mesa.so.0: undefined symbol: xcb_dri3_get_supported_modifiers

Sorry I don’t even understand that thread. I’m new to Linux.

I wouldn’t worry about trying it on Linux if you are new to that OS. I would consider Mac or windows since CCP doesn’t support Linux and after Mac no longer needs wine, Linux and eve may not work together.

Ccp however just got a native Mac client up and running.

2 Likes

Not with the “Notch” on it no lol. No sane person is going to buy a Mac with that mobile phone Notch on the screen. Not at those high prices, for a blackhole on the screen?

It works on Linux fine. I have no problem running it on Wine/Proton. Proton 5.0-10 (Wine 5) works and copy the PYD file across and set it to read only and it will launch.

I have not used Lutris but you can check here EVE Online - Lutris

First of all, I have played EVE Online for many years on Linux, and it works great. There have been a few stumbling blocks along the way, nothing too technical to fix these days though. And gaming on Linux actually is more stable, and sometimes even better performance, than playing native on Windows. I have not had a Windows computer in over 10 years, and I game every day on Linux.

First, hardest thing on gaming on Linux is usually getting graphics drivers installed. I have had to install the binary drivers from Nvidia in the past, which is probably not for you if you’re new to Linux and/or not a techie. Fortunately, most distributions have prebuilt driver packages and a HOWTO for installing that should be simple enough enough for someone new to Linux to follow.

I have ran EVE successfully over the years using WINE, Steam, (via Proton), and Lutris. Steam would be the easiest, generally it does most of the work for you. It is also the most difficult to troubleshoot if it doesn’t work, as Steam likes to hide stuff from you and do it “behind the scenes”, so to speak. Lutris is easiest to work with from a graphical (GUI) standpoint, and WINE I would not recommend unless you get much more used to Linux and command line work.

The thread that was linked that you said you didn’t understand - that is an issue with the latest EVE patch, something with one of the files causes the client to fail to start from the launcher. Mine was running fine, and quit after the latest patch, took me about two days of intense searching and troubleshooting to locate the issue and the fix - be warned, this is one of the dangers when running on an unsupported platform. When it works, great, when it breaks, you have to figure it out yourself with the community.

The good thing is, if you have gotten your graphics drivers installed, Steam installed, and EVE installed via Steam and the launcher is loading and has downloaded the game, the fix for the failed startup is fairly easy, even for a new Linux user. The linked articles had way too much tech info, when all you really need is to copy a single file in your EVE installation, and make it read-only so the launcher can’t delete it when it thinks it is is the wrong spot.

With Steam, after the game is installed, you go to your game library, either right click on the game in the list and select Manage>Browse Local Files, or you can do the same from the configuration gear on the game’s page. Once you can see the game files, you will need to go to the folder SharedCache/tq/bin64. Locate the file “launchdarkly_client.pyd”, and copy it to SharedCache/tq, one folder up from where it is located. Once you have the file located where it needs to be, you need to make it read-only so the launcher can’t delete it on you. This may vary depending on distribution of Linux, but on my Debian/MATE desktop, you can right click the file, select Properties, change all access to Read-only, and close, and this should do what needs done.

If that doesn’t work for you, there are plenty of other ways in Linux to manipulate files, with plenty of HOWTOs you can find with a simple web search. Also, if you use Lutris, the same file copy fix works the same, you will just need to locate the EVE folder from Lutris instead of Steam, as it will be different. If you use WINE, you are more on your own, as there are several things that will have to be done entirely from the command line to get things like your WINE prefix and options, DXVK, etc setup.

4 Likes

Thanks so much Lidria.

I keep getting error invalid platform message when I try and install the game (steam proton version) from this site:

Lutris is the easiest
1.make shore you have a valkan supported GPU
2.install the DXVK version of EVE in Lutris
3.use wine staging or wine GE inside Lutris

1 Like

Little late. But, I just started again with Linux after 10 years of hibernation.
Used this installer: Installing EVE on Linux - EVE University Wiki

Running Eve in Manjaro Linux
Linux sushi-g55500 5.10.79-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 12 20:26:09 UTC 2021 x86_64 GNU/Linux

This seems to be the easiest way to install EVE on Linux at the moment.

Currently you will need to also move a file up one folder and set it to read-only (no longer needed in wine 6.23)

Lutris and the .py fix.

I’m running with esync / fsync and dxvk. smooth.

1 Like

Another plug for LUTRIS. I set up Linux on 2 PC’s (Ubuntu Mate 20.04). Both running Eve better than they did with Win10. Getting Eve running via Lutris was relatively painless. Lutris will guide you through the driver installs (better than googling and getting old info or messing up a manual install).

From a fresh Linux install:

1. update && upgrade
  2. Install Lutris
  3. Use Lutris to install Eve (may hang and require a restart)
  4. Follow Lutris instructions to install wine/drivers (will prompt on first run)

That’s it, pretty easy, not too many ‘command line moments’

3 Likes

Using Lutris for installation was really easy and worked surprisingly well and the performance after some tweaking is good even with DX 11 on this, old passive cooled laptop I use at the moment.

1 Like

Has anyone tried Eve with Linux Mint 20.3 yet ?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.