This in-game advertisement is shameful, CCP

Well if I was new to an EVE and that was a pop-up after my first death, I would probably immediately win EVE if you know what I mean.

13 Likes

Yep, me too.

2 Likes

Considering most true newbies will experience their first death in the career agent mission where you have to suicide a ship to finish the mission, then yeah this is going to be horrible for NPE.

At that point, for a new player who have no context, it seems like this popup is part of the tutorial aka. career agents.

4 Likes

All,

CCP is first and foremost a business. All businesses have a goal for growth (top line revenue and bottom line EBITDA/Net Income). To meet those goals, businesses put forth initiatives to generate the dollars and cents. The loftier the goal, the more such initiatives will be put in place.

The existence of what you say is a ‘money grab’ is just a revenue channel available to CCP that it previously has not leveraged. If there’s a ton of revenue coming in from other channels such as PLEX purchases and annual subscriptions, then CCP may not need as many new initiatives.

Also since CCP’s acquisition by Pearl Abyss, there may be higher EBITDA/Net Income expectations than existed under CCP’s prior ownership, and that could be driving the additional revenue options being presented even with all circumstances otherwise being the same.

Said more succinctly, if CCP does not generate sufficient bottom line contribution for its stakeholders over an extended period of time, CCP and Eve Online…cease to be. You need only look at the endless string of MMOs that have had their plug pulled in the past decade to see this is the case. So please, let them do what is needed in order for Eve to keep charging forward.

2 Likes

No. This mentality is the reason for a rise in anti-consumer practices within the gaming industry.

As with anything, stop supporting the product if the product no longer satisfies your needs. If that means it dies in the process, then let it die.

15 Likes

Jayce, I like the product. And would prefer it live on another 10+ years. If that means they offer people packages that those people want (even if I don’t want to buy them), so be it.

1 Like

You are free to support whatever you want.

In my honest opinion, I don’t see eve dying, just that the core player demographic has shifted. There are enough living microtransaction games out there, to know that eve probably will continue living.

My issue with your post was with what seems to be the mentality of tolerating anti-consumer practices because of company finances. Which is why I said vote with your wallet. Whether or not this would kill eve, I have no idea because there are still enough whales out there to keep companies going.

3 Likes
8 Likes

In the zeal to create content, CCP has unintentionally created rifts between players. You have empire space and null sec space (the original starting point), and then wormhole space, Pochven, and now proving grounds. New systems, new regions, abyssal space, etc etc.

Eve requires player interaction to be maximally effective and engaging, and that requires players to be in proximity of each other. Offering all these branching (all be it cool) options to explore spreads folks out, makes content less accessible (whether it be cooperative pve or pvp) and ends in boredom and lost subscriptions.

An example of this is the Delve war which consumed ridiculous percentages of the null population for months, or faction warfare (compared to low sec systems without faction warfare in terms of pvp content), or high traffic gates vs low traffic gates for campers. People go where other people are, in order to get content. When those people are out of reach, it diminishes that rich player experience.

The notion of ‘fixing’ low sec or null sec are not the core issue. Core fixes should revolve around bringing people together through gameplay mechanics, not moving them further apart. And that fix transcends regions, systems, and security status. I’m not talking about simple events either, or having security status exclusive rocks. What I’m talking about is giving people a reason to be in the same place at the same time consistently, and that compelling reason just isn’t there right now on a global scale (not just for the duration of a war).

3 Likes

Well, if that noob spends 100 plex on a new ship and comes back for revenge it’s most likely only going to make an even worse lossmail.
It’s only pay to win if they rage quit EVE afterwards.

2 Likes

Yeah, did you know that a business doesn’t just live from creating a lot of off-putting offers or undermining the foundation of their only successful product? It may be surprising to hear that they in fact can’t just do whatever they want, but have to actually make sure someone wants to still play the game and give them money for the stuff they try to sell.

Maybe I’m completely misjudging this and they have in fact already migrated successfully to a demographic that is fine with mobile game like monetization trash. In which case, good for you CCP. If not, expect a lot lower player retention and online numbers, I’m sure we can always blame ganking and wardecs for that.

6 Likes

I might know a thing or two about that concept, maybe. The thing I don’t understand is if you don’t want to buy the stuff in the packages, just don’t buy the packages. Why are you so concerned they’re making the packages available to others who ‘will’ buy them, and thus help CCP increase its bottom line so they can continue investing in a game we all enjoy.

Surely your enjoyment of the game is not hampered because there are packages out there for purchase that you yourself won’t lay down $$$ for?

1 Like

The packages aren’t the issue. Expensive packages are fine. I would love if CCP added more packages, more skins, expensive ship skins and character customisation and all such things.

What isn’t fine is preying on newbies by offering them PLEX as a response to their first ship loss, at a moment CCP should be teaching the newbie about ship loss instead.

10 Likes

You say preying like the newbies are ignoramus’ or something. They’re not anything of the sort. New players are not yet cemented into the fabric of New Eden and I suspect there’s an attrition curve where new players get frustrated and simply don’t log back in in the earliest days of their careers, which normalizes and then tapers off into an attrition curve after some months or years in the game.

CCP is trying to prevent players on the front end of the spectrum from throwing their hands in the air and saying ‘I quit’ by giving a quick fix option at that crucial moment of learning. CCP is offering a solution. And if that solution is what keeps someone coming back for more instead of just packing their bags, I’m glad it’s available.

1 Like

I would too!

Exactly!

3 Likes

Yes it is hampered by the mere availability of such offers. We are at a point where you can literally bypass everything in this game with a credit card. It completely dilutes the experience for a player that actually cares about if an in-game achievement is anything worth at all.

Why do you think I’m complaining? I’m not offended because CCP tries to make money, I’m offended because they gut and destroy the game in the process and I seriously think something important gets destroyed here. My complaints aren’t specific to this ad, I raise my voice anytime they do some stuff like that because it has to be said!

11 Likes

And EVE slowly starts to circle down the drain along with all the other Korean Pay To Win grindfest MMO’s…

7 Likes

Is that better than the American version of P2W?

The one where some charismatic sociopath manages to infiltrate CCP where he can and bribe them with promises of making them the largest MMO on the planet where he can’t. All so he can have them turn the game into a paradise for little bees?

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

I agree. CCP is messing everything up for us players while they keep going after that cold hard cash or trying to appease Pearl Abyss who withdrew $200mil due to their fackups.
CCP is now ran by amateurs who don’t understand EVE and see the players only as cash cows and it stinks to high heaven!

1 Like

Except this doesn’t fix anything. The player is still going to lose more ships.

The ‘solution’ is to teach players about handling loss and how to adapt. But this pack teaches new players absolutely nothing in the same way buying a degree would mean the student has learned absolutely nothing. On top of that it’s encouraging players to burn RL money to cover their losses rather than playing within their means.

CCP claim to know that ship loss for new players is an important moment in their game, possibly the most important moment. The ‘magic moment’ as it was put by hilmar. Because that moment is when support from other players cements the relationship the player has with the community. A moment that reportedly increases retention.

Now maybe this offer is meant to be for those who don’t have such support, but the way it appears will also mean that it detracts from some of those who would have got support.

This epitomises the fear many people have that CCP are favouring quick cash grabs over the health of the game and the engagement of it’s community.

Trashy mobile-game sales tactics are a whole new low for CCP.

12 Likes