This in-game advertisement is shameful, CCP

Another straw man coupled with an ad hominem. Nice debate skills.

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

I am rly sry you feel that way .I respond to this forum threat about the adverb.I am not a priest to judge the moral aspects of this matter .The same thing is happening to a lot of companies ,sometimes it is more profitable to milk a company and close it .That is how the world we are living works .Is it moral , does putting money over everything else is moral , the answer does not matter , cause the world will go around and around unless their is a global revolution or something.I have never said capitalism will fix it .I just said if they are trying to milk their player base they are doing a rly bad job.Again i feel your frustration but that is irrelevant and ccp or pa doesn’t care about your feelings.

2 Likes

demands people argue in good faith

Does not engage in any good faith argument in any post in posting history, gets mad when people don’t engage the way they want, cries about it in every thread

absolutely degenerate low effort troll, lmao

It’s very confusing to me that you, and every other detractor that hand wrings and justifies their behavior as “well they don’t care about you/the playerbase/your feelings” when it’s very obvious they do.

CCP compared to even most other companies goes to tremendous lengths to engage in player outreach, and have redefined the new player experience a half dozen times in that many years. They very much care. CSM reads this thread, and others, and also take those complaints to CCP and they adapt to that feedback, as they have in the past.

It’s a wild concept, but companies enjoy existing. They take a long view of their product and profit: they want to continue to have profitable products to continue to generate more revenue than a pump and dump at the end.

As I’ve gone to pains to explain previously, threads like this exist because CCP does read them, and it’s because many players want to see the problems fixed, because they don’t see the situation as untenable. I don’t think CCP or PA does either, otherwise they wouldn’t be pumping such huge money into EVE even now.

Having said that, it’s important to express displeasure and call out missteps as we see them. It’s not a binary position.

2 Likes

I am rly not mad with you,you have not done anything to harm me and you cant .It is a forum post.

I rly can not see the obvious care.Maybe you could enlighten me .

Have any of the csm members open talked that they said to cpp that the changes would have a huge negative impact and they didn’t listen ?Maybe search why csm was created , also ccp was sold to PA ,also see how many employs left ccp over the start of the company .

Having money staying on one place is not profitable in today’s world .If you have a friend that knows about economics can explain that to you cause it will take time for me to explain you.

Hmu i rly haven’t any facts about that .I know ccp closed their uk offices ,and i only saw they hired ccp swift .No change in the dev team.i rly hope you are right.I rly do not think ccp is reading or taking in mind what me or you write in here.

Sure ,but i am not your enemy ,i am just replying to the forum post about the adverb read above .Overall i think you are too sentimental and you are forgetting how modern companies work and how PA works as a company .

Thats a big part of the problem when you’ve been around long enough and don’t drink so much kool aid.

The CSM is a bad crutch for CCP if they need each and every problem spelled out for them by a group of amature gamers who won a popularity contest.

You either understate professional game developers or overstate a group of players with agenda. Which is it?

2 Likes

CCP might remove the in-game advert due to a lot of verbal backlash on various social media platforms but rest assured they will re-implement it again sometime in the future, just like they did with the SP reward tasks in-game. Then after a while it’ll be added to the Launcher Log-in screen. Eventually they’ll implement in-game pop-ups while sitting in station disguised as helpful suggestions.

Can see it now - You’re sitting in station viewing / browsing 3rd party apps and due to being inactive in-game for a few minutes, an advert pops up similar to this:

Confused?
Don’t know what to do?
Buy one or more of these limited time career packs to start your journey on the road to riches…

4 Likes

Rapid progression is a method by which newer players can more effectively ‘catch up’ to bitter old vets like many of us. This game has existed for over 15 years, and some people in the game have played it that long. I have a couple trillion in assets and 150 million skill points on multiple toons and I’d be considered on the lower end of wealth and accomplishment in this game.

If new players are required to undertake a similar journey as veteran players did, they’d always lag behind, become discouraged, and leave.

Look, I understand that on the surface the ad appears in poor taste. These new folks are simply offered a method to bounce back that doesn’t require the same level of ‘time’ that we had to spend. It’s a different game now. CCP must adapt, or it will die. And CCP needs new players, and CCP needs players who spend money, or likewise…it will die (or at best, wither to embers of its current self).

As much as I agree with your point.

Then why are the 2 of us still here? Experience over sp will most likely make the difference in pvp.

3 Likes

I’ve always told newer folks that for them to really understand pvp, they need to die 100 times. What I’m trying to convey is that CCP is giving those folks a method to bounce back faster than you and I could in our learning days. The newer folks in 2021 need that as the game is so progressed now (in my opinion).

I 100% agree that you can take someone who tricks out a Rattlesnake with a bunch of PLEX and skill injectors and jumps into low sec with very little experience will get their butts handed to them by an experienced pilot in a Diemost .

I completely disagree with your assessment for multiple reasons. For one, newbros aren’t forever disadvantaged (I’ll link to another post that goes into more detail), and two, this doesn’t help newbros to catch up.

• First, selling SP directly to players allows vets to circumvent injector penalties -penalties that were designed to make injectors more of a tool to help newbros catch up, rather than a tool to help vets pull ahead.
  • Second, CCP has been limiting the rate at which players can buy SP. This is good from a pay to win perspective, but it means that the longer you’ve been around, the more SP you can buy.

Finally, the ad does not just appear to be in poor taste, it is in poor taste. Plex will not help new players to learn, grow, or succeed. They might feel like it’s helping, but it’s mostly just going to turn them into loot pinatas and lead to a lot of frustration for them. Let me put it this way. If a newbro lost his first ship, how many of you would advise him to respond by buying plex, and how many would think that this is absolutely terrible advice to give to a newbro?

Hell, even CCP themselves thinks that a player’s first ship loss is a special and critical moment in their career. And instead of trying to help them learn how to actually survive and thrive in a harsh, PvP-centric game with a full loot death mechanic, it tries to monetize them -and it does so in a way that not only doesn’t help the newbro, but, imho, sabotages them into thinking that things like ship cost and money spent are more important than their brains, attitude, and determination. This is a recipe for newbro anger and frustration, and I find it difficult to believe that no one at CCP recognized this. Either they are incompetent, or they knew full well what they were doing, and didn’t care.

I don’t know man, but this ad makes truly question whether CCP cares about it’s newbros and the long term health of the game, or if they’re primarily concerned with milking their customers for as much as they can, while they can.

Video is time stamped to jump to the relevant section.

No P2W

3 Likes

Once again, I adamantly disagree. Yes, T1 ship prices have gone up since the days of abundant ore, and there are people who have seen their income suffer in the age of resource scarcity. However, it has never been easier for newbros to make money. Options such and incursions and the abyss offer ways for newbros to make good money rather quickly, and there are an absolute butt ton of resources available explaining how newbros can make good money in various careers. Hell, thanks to power creep, some careers have even gotten easier. For example, you used to need to train for like 8 blinged out ships to be able to run burners. Now you can just use the Unified Nergal.

Things have not gotten harder, they’ve gotten easier.

And, I haven’t even been playing that long. Some of the ancient vets around here could probably tell stories about trying to mine their first battleships, how 100,000 isk used to be a lot of money, and how eve used to dump players into space with a rookie ship, 5k isk, and absolutely no guidance.

@DeMichael_Crimson @Mike_Azariah @Solstice_Projekt (I don’t know how old Sol actually is, but I know he goes back much further than his character age)

1 Like

I totally agree. I just hit my 18 year mark last weekend and I remember how hard it was to get my first million isk, then donating it to another player so he could get a cruiser and help me get mine, then have him kick me out of the corp. My first battleship was months of effort. It use to be that isk was the limiting factor and by the time I could afford a ship I had already trained most of the skills to be effective in one.

Todays rookies can have the isk for a cruiser within a few days doing career agents and the SOE Epic Arc or earn several hundreds of millions of isk mining in a venture in HS. It has gotten so easy to earn the isk in game that skill injectors are a reasonable investment for newer players.

There is absolutely no reason to throw ads for “easy money” at new players when they could possibly be just a day or two into the game.

2 Likes

I just don’t understand why people are so acidic toward CCP monetizing their own game. Especially if the folks criticizing the ads, me, and you don’t take part in the ads. What difference does it make to you as a legacy player that new players can make these purchases? If people want to use money (earned in time at work) vs isk (earned in time in game), why is that such a cardinal sin?

As a 12+ year player with multiple established toons, I don’t need the package in question obviously; it doesn’t rub me the wrong way that someone else might want to buy it though.

I’m not sure this is accurate, it seems like we bitter old vets are the bulk of Eve and the new bros are making up less and less of the experience. Yes of course new players are joining the game, I just tend to see the same faces a lot more than new ones, at least in low sec. Not sure the same applies in hi sec or null.

Wow, CCP, just wow.
The cringe…

If I got this popup, I’d insta-win eve right there.

1 Like

I’m not opposed to monetization in general. For example, I have frequently defended the Hypernet relay and think that character rename certificates are a capital idea. So, I’m not against monetization, I’m against monetization that is anti-consumer, P2W, and/or detrimental to the long term health of the game.

Of course, different players have different thoughts and values when it comes to the subject. So, it’s impossible to make everyone happy. But I didn’t sign up for a pay to win game, and I am both upset and worried that it looks like CCP is sacrificing the long term health of their game for a quick buck. I don’t know if you’ve ever seen any of nerdslayer’s death of a game videos, but there has been examples of devs trying to milk their players for every last dime before shutting down the servers, and this ad kind of looks like that. Maybe I’m being paranoid. After all, I am emotionally invested in this game (and watching Death of Game videos is like the gamer equivalent of watching scary movies when you were 12 and at home alone). However, this kind of thing is not unheard of, and I firmly assert that that ad is harmful to player retention for both newbros and vets alike. And I find it difficult to believe that CCP didn’t know that.

I am worried fam. And what I don’t understand is why you’re not.
No P2W

6 Likes

But, but, but… I was told EVE is not p2w because people still need real monkey fingers skills in flying their ships. (O_o)

1 Like

Whoever told you that approach F1 with heated guns via injected thermodynamics V is skill is a delusional try hard.

Eve PVP is some of the easiest PVP out there.
Expensive Pod, Expensive Ship, expensive fit.
Watch a couple of youtube videos. How to hecate.

Done. Eleet pvp

A mix of both I believe, clueless devs manipulated by owners/directors who know full well where this game is headed.

1 Like

I called this when they introduced f2p thats why I am part of the I told you so club

1 Like