Time to make Windows 10 as *minimum* supported on Windows platforms

Since Zoiie didn’t bother providing the source of the data he first used I shall do so.

Highlights: (or lowlights!)
Windows 7 is still about 10% of the desktop market (2/3rds the size of the MacOS market)
Linux, in all the distributive flavours and kernel versions, is at 2.1% (just behind Chrome).
Windows XP is still clinging on at 0.4%.

1 Like

By killing end of life (already dead ended by Microsoft) platform versions, they can reduce the test matrix by removing W7/8/8.1. Those versions in the test matrix hold everybody back on time delivery and effort.

That time can be better spend on testing supported platforms. Already W7/8/8.1 is a dead weight.

Most of the bugs in Eve are game related and not O/S related.

The counterpoint is that by keeping the existing code there will be less bugs. The last few updates this year proved it partially when changing O/S support added new issues that CCP had to spend extra time fixing.

I am not talking about removing code, I am referring to, let W7/8/8.1 die off naturally, start pruning testing on it for a start and up the support to W10 mininum. If it continues to work on end of life platforms, you’re lucky.

again if its not ■■■■■■■ broke, don’t ■■■■■■■ fix it.

yea it may be dead to microsoft, but so many companies etc are still using Win 7… irregardless if 10 was free.

It will break naturally itself as time and development progresses. It’s already dead. Spare no time nor effort on W7/8/8.1 testing and fixing any future changes.

I see. But I’m not sure how code will just die by itself. They devs have to remove it / change it.

I always thought CCP was writing the code. Do you mean they are not, and it’s writing itself and can die ‘naturally’ when it gets old?

but so many companies etc are still using Win 7… irregardless if 10 was free.

We’re talking about gaming here, not businesses.

Testing should cut out effort on W7/8/8.1 and don’t schedule time for any specific fixes on those end of life platforms.

It will die off naturally.

So you are saying CCP should leave the code alone?

Just only focus dev/test effort on W10 as a minimum on Windows.

But you know (well I’m making a leap here and assuming you have a knowledge of basic coding) that it doesn’t work that way for code.

You yourself said earlier that they will need to “prune” and “get rid off”. Which means they would have to remove code and make changes. More chance of bugs. I’m not excited about more bugs.

If it works on end of life platforms, you’re in luck, if not, too bad. W10 is the minimum.

A large test matrix also involves dev time on fixes and tickets back and forth. Reduce those and focus on supported platforms.

could be worse… could be linux.

1 Like

W7/8/8.1 is in decline and no longer maintained, the other is increasing and maintained. That’s an important difference.

Microsoft isn’t wasting time nor effort on their own created W7/8/8.1, why should anybody else?

Because It’s good habit to support at least current (Win 10) and previous (Win 7) OS’s.

Microsoft is monopolist and can ■■■■ on users. CCP don’t have such power.

The previous wasn’t W7, it was W8.1 (also end of life).

There’s been W8 and 8.1 in between.

Win 8? There is no such OS

I think you’re mistaken. I even posted the release and end of life dates in the OP.