Torpedo Balancing - and Explosion Velocity

I agree that torps are one of the worst weapon system right now.

a Torp fitted raven has 31km range. with the 50% bonus. With 3 BC it reaches 908 paper DPS, with 338m sig radius and 106m/s speed.
Versus a core baron (140m/s and 360m) that means 80.6% base application with FACTION ammo, I’m not talking about T2 ! That means 732 applied DPS at 31 km range. versus a PVE battleship.

If I go javelin that’s 46km range and 711*0.8 = 573 DPS

Now if I go cruise + CN ammo I have 651 DPS with 248m and 104m/s. Against the same rat it’s gonna deal 100% application, so 651 DPS, at 110 km. compared to torpedo it’s a loss of 11% DPS for a gain of 254% range.

Now you may think “yeah vs smaller ships they have same DPS”.
Well, no. Because of the range the cruise ships can fit rigor, painter, that increase the actual DPS. Going fury on raven is not an issue. The torpedo fit needs to have a correct tank.

The only benefit of torpedo is to be within grappler range. But then, the issue is more the sig than the speed. The DPS/sig (dps applied on a target depending on its sig) is capped at 2.68 for CN torpedo. vs a 130m cruiser you are limited to 350 DPS, 490 with a painter.
Replace the painter by a webifier (assuming you have a scram) and any close range turret will have almost perfect application.

So when is torpedo BS better than turret BS ? never(okay, maybe if you are shooting a big target and can’t afford to use a leshak/vindi/rattler). When is it better than cruise BS ? only when going 222. That’s not possible in pve(because sustained damage need a lot more tank than in pvp).

As of the modifications : Yes you need to prevent things from being OP. I think if raven went 80km that would be OP. 50km range on torps would be okayish(IMO again). That’s a gain of 60% range on the torps. Of course that mean SB should not reach high values either but … with 90km targeting range is that really an issue ?