Trigs are Back?

I still don’t understanding how fighting NPCs is supposed to be fun.

I think you are being ironic, but it went over my head.

the net just needs a sarcasm font

I don’t understand how you’re not understanding why this is fun.

The real game occurs mostly in systems with no presence from either. It’s more than six or seven.

again, the net needs a sarcasm font

Perhaps it is a reference to a reason given for the American revolution - “taxation without representation”.

1 Like

I am sure it is, but there is a distinct lack of logic in the newly offered variant. Do not get me wrong, I think the wormhole originating Trigs are a ridiculous move by CCP, at least as they have been offered; far more overpowered than the old Trig recce groups that we had pre-invasion, and just far too lethal especially for new players - all this talk about just popping into Pochven to kill a drone, or using a scout (which requires two Omega accounts), etc, etc, completely misses the point that a) some players cannot resort to those means, and b) it is forcing a playstyle on players who are just not interested in those elements.

Anyway, I always preferred Alan Beresford B’stard’s argument for depriving the poorer members of the electorate of their vote: “No representation without taxation.”

2 Likes

You think the Trigs are that bad? Try dealing with the wormhole spawning Drifters in Pochven. There is no way to gain standing with them either, while you can become neutral with the Trigs fairly easily.

So, the reference. It’s not exactly a good mashup, but it was meant to evoke a time when people were less tolerant of distant rulers making arbitrary changes to their environment, particularly when it was done primarily to enrich said ruler and without regard to the needs of the population.

The original slogan was about “taxation without representation”, to wit:

"generally attributed to James Otis about 1761, that reflected the resentment of American colonists at being taxed by a British Parliament to which they elected no representatives and became an anti-British slogan before the American Revolution; in full, “Taxation without representation is tyranny.

2 Likes

In the end we discovered that the local oligarchy just wanted the taxes for themselves.

1 Like

Sadly, yet another of the evils of war. Once given an excuse to reach into the citizens’ pockets, it seems no ruling body can resist going back to the well.

(Apparently somebody felt this post was objectionable enough to flag it. Tax auditors, tax auditors everywhere!)

1 Like

Why would it want to resist? That is the entire reason for its existence.

To answer the original question:

Trigs can spawn in systems that were invaded during the event and are now minor victories (for either side) or Edencom fortresses, and in systems with a wormhole to triglavian space. The latter move and there is no in-game navigation warning.

As far as we know, this feature will be permanent or at least long-term.

To get rid of the hazard, go to Pochven, and shoot drifters or drones until you are positive to both trigs and edencom, removing aggression from Pochven-related NPCs outside of Pochven. See guide linked above.

If you never participated in the invasion event before, you literally have to blap one tiny drone once, wait for the standings tick, and you’re done. The tiny drones are made of wet tissue paper so this is not particularly hard. (I do agree it is a stupid mechanic but it is what it is.)

(If you made the mistake of participating, it’s another story, but OP does not suffer of that problem.)

2 Likes

I find the term quite confusing and can’t connect “representation” to the meaning.

… but I guess that’s off-topic, as I’ve gotten flagged, so I removed the rest of the post. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just answer my question above so I can read it, then let’s delete these last ones.

Gotta wait 52 seconds for deleting my own post …
… because I’ve done this action too many times.

:roll_eyes:

Dear ISD … please consider this an official complaint. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

And how exactly does this help the new player? Do you really think they are going to pop into Pochven, kill drones and drifters in their corvette or T1 frigate, then pop back out again?

Stop trying to pretend that this ludicrous new mechanic is anything other than unreasonable sudden death that will kill off the chances of retaining the poor new player who jumps into an HS system and suddenly gets blapped with no chance of escape. This is not like ganking - gankers do not normally take out new players in T1 frigates.

2 Likes

You can kill one of those tiny drones in pretty much anything, and if you cannot you can just target paint any NPC that will die later to someone else and get the standings tick from that. As to popping out, if you do this in a cheap-ass frigate, you can just take the pod express.

That said, no, it does not help new players, because you still need to know to do it, and you need to know how to do it. I am sorry if I gave the impression I think this is good gameplay - I don’t. In addition to being problematic to newfriends, the navigation warning that implies you do get a warning for triglavians while in fact you do not complicates the matter.

I simply answered the question about how it works, and this is how it works at the moment, and for foreseeable future.

Don’t shoot the messenger.

3 Likes

Fair enough, apologies. It is just that every post that says “oh, it is easy to get around this, all you need to do is this…” lets CCP off the hook for another appalling error of judgement. I could live with the odd roaming trig recce group, as we had during the pre-invasion conduit phase. They could be lethal to Ventures, perhaps too lethal - a couple of seconds more of reaction time would have made a difference - but they could also have an effect even on Orcas mining a belt, by destroying their drones before they could be recovered. And you had an element of warning by seeing a conduit appear.

I do not play first person shooters, but I guess not many of them feature random anti-personnel mines that players cannot possibly detect in advance and which just kill you as you take your first steps in the game? Even though that is sadly a reality of real war, it does not make a good game.

1 Like

Between hazards of this type and snipers, Id say most.