Type's of ganking

Githany , that isn’t even English. Are you drunk sweetie?

No no , well I have had a glass of red

2 Likes

Ganking is an after thought, nothing other than something miners do when they see other pilots mining the same belts.

I think CCP created the situation there by making dedicated mining ships in the first place, but there’s also the removal of obstacles that exposed people in non-combat roles to PvP. Can flipping, having to venture into lowsec for skillbooks or pay a markup on the market for people who could get them, making wars more opt in friendly and the like.

CCP wants people who don’t want to fight to play their game because that’s money in their pockets, but they want people who want to fight to play, too, because their money is just as good. They’re looking for the compromise that gets them the most money, but the lowest common denominator makes for a mediocre game for all parties where few find a completely satisfactory experience.

I don’t care about isk. Regardless of how many space billions you may have, it’s not real. It’s worthless. Same as any other virtual game I play. Whatever fake money and items I have are all worthless. I just want to have a good time while I am visiting a virtual world, and that’s what I optimize for.

I liked highsec because it had the right mixture of elements for me to enjoy my time in Eve. I don’t want to be part of a null blob. I don’t want to be in a lonely pocket of lowsec. I don’t want to be in a place where everyone’s already decided what group they belong to and everyone else is an enemy. At the same time, I don’t want to be in a place where there is no credible threat. Wars and ganking were on a tight enough leash for me that I could play and have a level of adversity put before me that I could comfortably handle while living my life outside the confines of the game world.

The leash has gotten too tight such that highsec isn’t filled with people trying to find their way in a harsh world, but people who’ve turned inward and are trying to isolate themselves. Highsec is safe enough for these people to gain a foothold, but not totally safe so as to allow them to ignore the world around them as is their wont. I am unlikely to have an interesting enemy to overcome or meet an interesting person wandering the world compared to how it used to be. Ganking is still as close as it comes to having an interesting enemy, but the situation is close enough to having to be willingly stupid to expose a vulnerability for them to exploit that my mind won’t engage with the content anymore.

I like seeing lots of small and varied groups or individuals, and that’s what highsec used to be for me. New friends and foes around every corner. Playing, for me, feels like existing in a stagnant void where, when something interesting does happen, people complain very loudly and in poor taste to take all the fun out of it whenever they can. They want to punish anyone who dares disrupt the status quo and CCP has bent the rules to make disrupting the status quo harder. This necessarily makes the game less fun and interesting for me. Either because less happens, or because people are saying terrible things to people making stuff happen such that I feel sorry for the person who would otherwise be my in game enemy. It’s hard to be motivated to strike back at someone who’s already up to their eyeballs in crap they don’t deserve.

4 Likes

CCP gets manipulated by crybaby whiners.

The miners do poorly at the game, not because it is unbalanced but because they literally were AFK for three hours, and then they CRY and CRY and CRY, so CCP feels like they need to do something to placate little baby. However, the temper tantrums never stop, and the whiners keep complaining about “griefers”.

Over the years, the game gets dumbed down again and again, as another series of nerfs is issued to keep the babies happy - however, since they want to play AFK, they will never be happy until CCP turns the game into Farmville. The last thing the carebears want is a challenge. Anything which reduces isk/hr is “griefing”.

CCP’s best chance to turn things around was blackout - unfortunately, they caved in, instead of encouraging all the carebears to go find another game. Ultimately, market forces encourage everyone to eat at McDonald’s, and it requires innovative leadership to break the cycle and remember that customers are usually idiots. If you try to please everyone, you will wind up pleasing nobody.

7 Likes

Artists with a commitment to their vision create things that some people love, and some people hate. Business men create things that most people will tolerate.

1 Like

So did CCP and then along came the babies.

Careful there. With talk like that, Mr Epeen is going to put you on his Aiko simp list.

1 Like

Two years go I was a whiny carebear who mined and never went more than 3 systems from Vittenyn. Today my Cilla account got on 66 kills in nullsec in one day. My 3 main chars have 580 kills between them. And I am far from being the only one who has made that transformation…and it will go further as I start doing solo stuff…but the forums are largely full of the whiny carebears and give a very imbalanced view of Eve.

I’ve had a great time in Eve, and the fact is…if I can then anyone can.

2 Likes

I’m not sure that’s entirely true. As I keep going through life and meeting more people, it’s becoming apparent to me that some (probably even the majority of) people are simply hard-wired to function as some kind of worker drone/servant caste. Even if you teach them to go through the motions (like you would with army recruits, for example), they’ll naturally gravitate toward their base tendencies when left to their own devices. They’re not going to adapt, overcome, and acclimate themselves to an adverse environment like EVE because they’re quite literally not genetically predisposed to doing so, but are instead predisposed to performing a single task repeatedly and hoarding the output.

Like miners?

I tried to teach Frosty to gank but he just went back to mining and blamed me for his failure, but really it was all him - who knows why he did it to himself.

Yeah. I’ve met quite a few people like that. Some even were/still are my friends. I tried to teach them how to fight effectively, passing on many tricks and strategies that would allow them to be as effective as I am, but they just couldn’t “take” to it, and always went back to doing low-end PvE for a while before ultimately quitting. Like I’d teach them how to kill pretty much anyone, but they’d still choose Venture-mining in the end.

I think confidence builds more confidence. Once one starts getting a lot more kills than losses it becomes self sustaining because one then has a large ‘reserve’ of kills…which in turn increases confidence and the willingness to take risk. It’s really a case of getting that toe hold in the first place…and that requires determination that a lot don’t seem to have.

1 Like

But that’s exactly what I mean. They don’t even need the confidence. I’d literally point someone out, and say “see that player? here’s what you do to destroy them right now” and would walk them through the steps to ensure success, which they could replicate on their own later. But the next day I’d see them mining Veldspar, and they simply refused to do the PvP thing again. They weren’t feeling discouraged because they had too few kills and too many losses; they wanted to keep mining.

Snails and seaslugs don’t turn into direwolves and snow spiders.

1 Like

Blowing up pixelated spaceships too exciting.

2 Likes

Now don’t bully Cilly, she’s been through a lot.

In fact these days the 33% of the EVE player count consist of an actual monkeys and only 66% humans. And that is from the 80% of the actual player count the EVE launcher shows as it is inflated by multiboxing.