Uedama anti-gank

Its not a claim, its just a fact.

Games do not have any inherent ethical quandry to them.

Thanks for my birthday present , Iā€™ll mount in in our offices as a reminder why we fight .

The unknown miner

Will be its name.

I totally disagree. Even if one is only roleplaying a part, one is still roleplaying a character that either has ethics or doesnā€™t. Zero ethics would make the entire game pointlessā€¦as it would imply zero motivation, and motivation is the very core of ethics. So its impossible to argue that any game has zero inherent ethics. The minute there is a ā€˜needā€™ to play it, that in itself introduces the motivation that brings ethics along with it.

Itā€™s unethical to mine without a mining permit.

Itā€™s a crime in real-life. Itā€™s a crime in EVE Online.

So how would you quantify the community Aiko has built then? They certainly enjoy the game. They play it and build community. How is it different from the nullbears?

So, which ethical framework applies to Eve online? If ethics does apply within the game, surely the ethics we should consider are those that are in-game, not RW ethics (at least insofar as they apply to how to play). Within-game ethics in Eve seems to be deontologically based, where anything that does not contradict the rules (both programmed or within the EULA) is ethical, and anything that does in unethical. So, High-sec ganking is ethical, anti-ganking is ethical, not ganking is ethical; but RW money trading is unethical, as is griefing, as are racially motivated insults in chat or via email.

We can argue about whether the rules/framework are themselves ethical, based on RW frameworks, if we accept the rules as applicable to the in-game universe, then Eve has ethics. If we want to consider Eve gameplay from a RW ethical perspective, then which ethical framework should we apply?

Thatā€™s also not considering that different groups/corps in Eve might have their own particular shared ethical values/positions ie.

Itā€™s unethical to mine without a mining permit

(sorry, Iā€™m not sure how to attribute quotes to usernames yet)

People can play ethically (by their internal to the game code of ethics) while being in flagrant contradiction of another groupā€™s ethics/ethical framework, especially in a make-believe game with made-up rules and a wide variety of potential gameplays.

1 Like

How would you define griefing in such a manner that it did not include highsec suicide ganking for lulz ?

My understanding is that James 315 promoted the whole ganking thing as a counter to AFK miners in Orcas. In my view a worthy cause. Then thereā€™s ganking for big ISK amountsā€¦again Iā€™ve no issue with that. In fact Iā€™m all for it. The Eve version of The Italian Job is precisely what Eve is all about.

But ganking just because one ā€˜canā€™ do and its hilarious watching some noob weep over his lost Venture, with zero reward for the ganker other than a pointless ā€˜killā€™ where the 5 ships lost in the excercise never get subtracted from that. Hmmā€¦thatā€™s about as close to griefing as it gets.

The problem isnā€™t ganking itself. The problem is that of people using the same justifications for the worthwhile cases to justify the pointless ones.

Can you link your lossmail?

Is it possible you could actually make a point that you back up with a fact, like, ever?

You disagree but bring no supporting facts to back it up.

No it isnt.

A playing piece is not a person therefore if I destroy your piece and it is within the rules to do so there is no question of unethical behavour.

The only unethical behaviour in a game is cheating, and we arent remotely talking about that.

Im starting to think you dont know what ethical actually means.

1 Like

Isnā€™t the point we can bring our own ethics into eve and if you want fight for them , thatā€™s the great thing about RPG you can be and do anything you like , Iā€™m sure some canā€™t sway far from their real selves why others can let go and turn into homicidal space pirates or black hearted Unforgiven mercenaries . Why others just want to chill out and mine. Poor ccp having to police this I say.

2 Likes

Well I got there first and thought you donā€™t grasp that not having any ethics IS an ethic. Itā€™s commonly called ā€™ I donā€™t give a ( expletive )'.

1 Like

Let me know when you see a playing piece move of its own accord. I just gotta see this poltergeist activity.

1 Like

In my view CCP should scrap Concord and all security statuses should depend on what local police force people can muster up. Just as thereā€™s people happy to be bored mining all day, Iā€™m sure thereā€™d be people happy to police asteroid belts all day. And so on. A proactive police force ( who could also be open to bribes, corruption, etc, etc ) would make the whole game far more fun.

1 Like

How did you come to the conclusion that was a response that made any sense?

Love the sound of that

1 Like

Would you like to purchase a mining permit?

1 Like

In the context of Eve and hi-sec, griefing would be repeated, deliberate and targetted (all 3 in combination) harassment of a player. Ganking someone in high-sec, in and of itself is not griefing. Ganking someone multiple times in the normal course of trying to find people to gank (in other words, not searching exclusively for them and ignoring other equally available targets) is also not griefing because it is not targetted.

As to your ranking of motive, why do you get to judge what is a worthy motive or not in others? Eve online isnā€™t a civilisation, itā€™s an Attenborough nature documentary. The Nile Crocodile lying in wait for the fat wildebeest to cross the river isnā€™t questioned on its ethics, nor is the cheetah for targetting the youngest and slowest gazelle because itā€™s easier to catch even though it doesnā€™t provide as much sustenance. Itā€™s entirely possible that the thrill of the hunt and chase is the motive for gankers - the planning, the successful execution, the heart-thumping adrenaline rush, the uncertainty of outcome. That is their sustenance, not the end result.

(Full disclosure - Iā€™ve only been playing this game for 4 months and never been killed in High-sec, so never been ganked. Nor have I ganked. Iā€™ve died plenty - gatecamps, ambushes, afk stupidity, been hunted, went to fight someone and lost in FW space, but that was all in low-sec and wormholes, so canā€™t be considered ganking. Iā€™ve even been killed multiple times by the same person who one-shotted me to oblivion each time. But it wasnā€™t griefing, it was just in the normal course of them visiting their hunting spots at the same time I was visiting for ratting purposes. Iā€™ve even had a go at trying to catch my own prey a few times - mostly I suck, but even from that limited experience I can see why people would want to do it, regardless of ISK-based rewards/losses)

5 Likes

This person gets it

And verily the EVE gods do reward the faithful. This, this perspective IS EVE Online.

I managed to get a venture/gila last night in low and then listened to my instincts and noped out afterwards, avoided the gate camp just as it was being set up :smiley:

1 Like

But thatā€™s my whole point. A PvP police force could be a bunch of saintsā€¦or be totally corrupt. Beats having a bunch of indestructible unthinking NPCs.