Understanding and Dealing with Ganks and Gankers

What a joke. The amount of care given to the forum is self-evident.

2 Likes

Oh look. 8 minutes young troll has entered the chat.

2 Likes

Yes, Ridley, everyone who posts disagreement with you has to be a troll. Thereā€™s no other rational explanation (like them actually disagreeing with you). Theyā€™re just trolling you because youā€™re spreading the truth, and they donā€™t want that truth to be spread. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I agree with Destiny.

4 Likes

I think this is the root of the disagreement.

Ridley espouses a victim mentality in which poor innocent miners are unfairly griefed by bullies, but the rest of us think maybe itā€™s a video game and the miners should probably be at their keyboard instead of AFK in another room.

4 Likes

Fine, I have to post?
Ok:

I support ganking!

There you go.
Happy?

I also support ganking. Itā€™s fun for everyone involved.

2 Likes

You said something in the past that I have respect for. I donā€™t agree with you most of the time but meh.

Ridley uses words like a nest of snakes.

I sadly can not find any respect for him.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, he gets tangled in his own words.

He wants us to stay ON TOPIC, but the topic is: Understanding and Dealing with Ganks and Gankers - so one theory is that you can understand and deal with gankers by talking to them, following instructions, and paying them to not gank you.

1 Like

I donā€™t think we even need to look that deep at the gameplay meta - itā€™s more simple than that. His argument is that even though ganking is in the game, nobody should engage in that activity because itā€™s not moral by real-life standards. But CCP designed a game where ganking is possible because they intended a certain amount of destruction to happen via that means, or else they wouldā€™ve never made ganking possible to begin with. This means that real-life morality has nothing to do with regard to this, as ganking is an intended, and in a way almost required part of the game.

His argument is akin to saying that no one should play as the murderer in a game of Clue because murder is amoral in real life, and no one should pretend to be a murderer for that reason. Besides, there are lots of other things to do in that board game, such as rolling dice, reading cards, and playing with the miniature pieces. Murder is bad.

Itā€™s justā€¦absolutely asinine.

1 Like

It doesnā€™t even have to go that far if your at your keyboard.

Iā€™m glad you decided to POST

I was playing monopoly and I got a monopoly on the railroads, and I didnā€™t think it was fair to the other players, so I nationalized the railroads and we agreed that all the money would go into a community pool for the construction of FREE housing.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never found reason to disagree with you mainly because you always seem to be having fun I suppose. Iā€™m somewhat disagreeable lately, I donā€™t know why exactly, but itā€™s like my normal sense of optimism is broken. Iā€™ve noticed a number of things lately that I have said that I donā€™t agree with and donā€™t remember if I was kidding or just being irritable.

Itā€™s the game thatā€™s making us cranky.

1 Like

I have some actual advice for new people specifically who have been ganked.
Donā€™t let it get to you, talk to the person or people who ganked you, and be polite about it. This is a game, they donā€™t hate you and are just having fun in a way you likely havenā€™t tried yet.
Ask, as numerous others have suggested in this thread, what if anything you did wrong or could do differently. If you truly want to learn Eve quickly, ask to join them.
This isnā€™t meant in the ā€œif you canā€™t beat them, join themā€ sense at all, it just a great way to learn a lot about PvP which is the very foundation of the game you are playing.
With five accounts I have been killed countless times, I have tried to talk to all of the people who have killed me and only two or three were rude. With a few we ran into insurmountable language barriers (and thatā€™s after taking the time to try to do translations) the rest all responded cheerfully, and some are now very good friends.
The primary thing though is donā€™t give up and always try to learn from your mistakes.

2 Likes

As a miner, I dislike AFK players. If and when I have the capability, Iā€™ll gladly bump an AFK player off the field. Part of playing the game is being present for it. If you arenā€™t willing to play the game but youā€™re on the field, you deserve what you get.

Since Iā€™ve come to this conclusion, I understand gankers a bit more. I dislike being ganked, but they play by the rules of the game, catch me fairly, and I deserve what I get for being caught.

The solution to avoiding gankers, it would seem, is to ā€œgit gud,ā€ as the saying goes. I donā€™t like the often dismissive mockery such a phrase implies, but it holds true: if you want to avoid getting ganked, you have to get good at avoiding ganks, and learn how to fight them off.

Yes, as a miner I currently mind my own business, and getting blapped is frustrating. I havenā€™t always responded well, and Iā€™ve made myself a hat of my ass in how Iā€™ve responded to some gankers.

Bots aside, thereā€™s a person on the other side of every player profile. We should treat them with respect that every person deserves by default. EVE is a competition, like basketball or football; itā€™s silly of a player to get upset at their opposition for playing the game.

Iā€™ve endeavored not to make an ass of myself when I get ganked. Some gankers can be quite helpful if you open up a chat, congratulate them on their kill, and earnestly seek to learn from them.

Theyā€™re not all horrible people.

Of course, just like there are pathetic miners, there are pathetic gankers. There are bullies in both groups, and they diminish the game. We could do without those players, but they exist in every game.

And bots. We could do without them, too.

As for the gankers, if Iā€™ve been rude to you, I apologize, and I hope youā€™ll see Iā€™ve matured. I may not like that youā€™ve ganked me, but going forward, I hope we can have a dialog and learn from one another, in a cooperative effort to enjoy the game in our respective ways.

6 Likes

Heh, didnā€™t even bother reading the majority of replies posted to me here because quite frankly I donā€™t care what they say.

Also to the person of the alts that flagged my reply about the lying pudknocker:

I salute youā€¦
:fu:

2 Likes

That and this last year or so I suppose